picking patterns between tenor and baritone

Tenorsee guy

Reaction score
Silly newb question, if you have a picking pattern tab based on a tenor uke, do you play the same tab pattern (string & fret) on the baritone uke?
Sorry for such a beginner question.

Sure, it'll just be in a different key. I do it all the time. For fingerpicking you may need to make some adjustments, but not many

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I play the guitar now, and got a tenor uke a year ago. I really like the warm mellow baritone sound over the tenor. But most of the songs I am playing are for GCEA so I didn't know how hard it would be to move over to the baritone.

switching from guitar to bari is much easier than switching to re-entrant tenor....

Well, the bari is tuned like a guitar (bari is just missing the two bass strings), so switching between the two should be no problem at all - neither physically nor musically (as you're playing the identical notes in the identical finger positions).
And when you put a capo on fifth fret you are in (linear) "tenor tuning" - yet the finger positions still don't change because the tuning intervals between the strings remain the same.

Re-entrant ukulele tuning adds another level of complexity - but after all you should consider the ukulele a different instrument anyway. Uke is not a small guitar, uke is guitar's little niece ;)

Is the tenor GCEA or gCEA?

You don't say in the original post, and it seems that everyone assume that it is strung linear.

Disclaimer: I don't have a baritone, and I have not yet put my new low G strings on my tenor so I know nothing on linear tuned ukes.
But based on my transition from guitar to reentrant ukulele, I assume that I will alter picking patterns when I do.

Though all the barred notes will fit in the chord, playing them in ascending or descending order will probably sound better. And since the order of the strings is another, that means another picking pattern, more similar to guitar than to that of a reentrant uke. Except you don't have the bass notes.

If your tenor is already reentrant, I guess the pattern is the same.

I might be confused with how you define "picking pattern"

For me, picking is solely what you do with your right hand, assuming you fret the strings with your left hand.

And talking of a pattern, I assume a somewhat repetitive order of picking the different strings to fill out the bars with notes from the chord.

If you play the melody line it gets trickier if you include a string that changes from reentrant to linear.

I might be confused with how you define "picking pattern"

For me, picking is solely what you do with your right hand, assuming you fret the strings with your left hand.

And talking of a pattern, I assume a somewhat repetitive order of picking the different strings to fill out the bars with notes from the chord.

If you play the melody line it gets trickier if you include a string that changes from reentrant to linear.

I may not have used the correct terminology, but what I meant is when you have an intro or a solo in a song that is in tab format. This is what I meant by a picking pattern. My apologies if I confused you. I appreciate the feed back.

Ok then,
Well, for intros and solos you are back to the question of weather your tabs are for reentrant tuning of low g, whether the 4th is used in the instrumental if it is reentrant, and whether you want to play in the original key or don't mind transposing it.
As someone said you can play the same tabs on a baritone as on a low g tuned tenor, but it will be a different key. If you play with others, or your vocal range disagrees with the new key for singing parts, it might not work. Otherwise it should be just fine.

Last edited:
If you play a linear Tenor in C tuning, and what to see how a bari would sound just detune it to DGBE. It makes the strings a bit lower tension which isn't bad in itself. Tenors in G tuning are better re-entrant, but linear works pretty well. If you play using the "C tuning" chord forms, a C form makes a G chord, but the Tabs should work fine, but in a lower pitch.

If you don't like that way it sound just tune up to GCEA and have at it. No cost, but the time to settle the strings.

Top Bottom