Season of the ukulele 278: "YOU CAN'T SEE THE WOOD FOR THE TREES"

Blimey there's no escaping the 'tree huggers' !!
Not been around much lately purely because we've had sunshine and the beach has been beckoning.
Jumped on this one this morning solely because someone had to do it albeit in a dodgy vocal !! Lol

Last edited:
OAK-AY, FRONDS! Over a day has passed since the beginning of Season 278, and I have been TREEmendously impressed by the number of fantastic conTREEbutions that we have had so far! (It was my intention to summarise all entries here, but I honestly don't think I can keep up; so please have a look at the Playlist for comments. And if I have somehow managed to omit you from the Playlist, then I can only apologise ... please PM me at once to let me know!) You are all incrediBOLE!!!

Last edited:
Hmmmmm...............Just a thought, would anything from the 'Woodstock Festival' count Val or would that be branching out too far a field?

Last edited:
Hmmmmm...............Just a thought, would anything from the 'Woodstock Festival' count Val or would that be branching out too far a field?

Don't see why not. Jimi Hendrix played Purple Hazel after all, and Sly Stone did Planks to the Music...bet there's one or two others.

Don't see why not. Jimi Hendrix played Purple Hazel after all, and Sly Stone did Planks to the Music...bet there's one or two others.

"Wood" is "wood" so far as I'm concerned, Mark; absolutely no problem!!!! (I'm not sure about going into "farther fields", though! NO, far fields are a step TOO far!)

Last edited:
Crosby, Stills and Ash ?? Lol
"Wood" is "wood" so far as I'm concerned, Mark; absolutely no problem!!!! (I'm not sure about going into "farther fields", though! NO, far fields are a step TOO far!)

Barking mad, the pair of ya !! :p

Last edited:
There are no Lemon Trees in the orchard next to my house but there are bears!

A little backyard noodling for ya...trying my hand at finger-picking lately so this is super novice- tune us a special relevance here in the US.

Greetings,

I wasn't feeling musical until I saw your vid! So...gotta try for our fantastic host's week. Cool one Val. Puttin on my thinking cap.

Ciao.

Thank you, everyone! End of Day Two for those of us who live in "sensible" time zones. If you haven't been able to conTREEbute yet, then I wooden leaf it too late. A big shout out (in order of appearance) to Pa, Steve, Wim, Ryan, Alan, Lynda, Trent, Dick, Guzzler, Rick, Randy, Rex, Geoff, Dave, Eric (& Cave), Robin, Rusty, John, Mark, Keith and Tommy. To everyone else, I say ....

Ashley-Santoro-1.jpg

​Thank you and Goodnight!!!
AND REMEMBER ... THE SONG LIMIT HAS BEEN RAISED TO 10, SO GET YOUR POSTS IN (WOODEN ONES, OF COURSE)

Last edited:
Hello all
I've not joined in for a while, but I've been lurking.
Here's a tree song.

I've got an idea for another.

An old song by The Cure that I could not get outta my head. More of the great fingerpicking experiment.

Well I was gearing up to get one done tonight but funky tuning and hard rocking unfortunately did for the A string on my Korala. Luckily in my seemingly endless search for four strings that would actually stay on my uke when I picked it up again a few months ago I've accrued some spares, but obviously using it tonight would be a no go.

So I plucked out my trusty Dolphin, attached one of my wife's lovely crochet creations, and set to writing this masterpiece. Lyrics in the YouTube description

(I will happily explain why this fits if none of it makes any sense to you Val)

Last edited:
As soon as I saw the theme, I knew instantly which two songs I would present this week: trees are central to the pair of them.

They should be viewed in the order I post them here and they should be viewed together, because the first unwittingly gave birth to the second a year later and the two form a story of sorts.

I used to attend Alasdair Fraser’s Fiddle Camp in Spain, known as Crisol de Cuerda. The five summers I attended the camp are among the most precious memories I have. I thoroughly recommend any Seasonista with an interest in “folk” music to attend one (he does them in Skye and in California too). He and cellist Natalie Haas are the principal movers and they are both wonderful human beings and great teachers. They are the sort of people who redeem the human race from all the evil you see in the news every day (as are many of those who attend the events).

Anyway, some years back the venue for the event changed to Alarnzon (Burgos). The new venue was wonderful and had a very special place which grew to be our evening gathering point. It was a strip of forested land that was effectively an island in the river which had a bridge going out to it. On either bank of the river the forest continued. It had a magic all of its own and we were convinced that our impromptu musical soirees there were influenced by and added to that magic.

In memory of the times we spent there I wrote the lyrics to the first submission this week. “Between Two Rivers” set to a tune that was being taught to us at the camp. I romantically imagined that the trees would seal in their arboreal memory such festive evenings which were a paean to the glory of life and being surrounded by people of like mind making music and celebrating being alive.

The second song tells of what had happened in the year that had passed before we returned there and my reaction to it. The experience seemed to affect me deeply and probably contributed to me stopping going to the Camp (well, that and the fact that I recognised I was never going to master that devil’s instrument known as the fiddle :) ).

Anyway , I hope you enjoy these two linked songs and can empathise with my feelings in both.

SONG ONE:

Top Bottom