Season of the ukulele 278: "YOU CAN'T SEE THE WOOD FOR THE TREES"

OK, I think this one needs to invoke the Thornton Rule, but just by a little bit. I took a little phonetic liberty with the title, changing it to "Could You, Wood You".

The song is by a wonderful songwriter and performer, the late, great Willy Deville. I have loved Willy for years, and am just about to start on a recording project to do a selection of covers of his stuff. I thought this would be a good warmup for that project. Hope you all like it.

I changed the lyric ever so slightly here, but since Val has given a special dispensation for Seasonistas to do Lupin songs, and given her horticultural issues with lupins lately, this seemed to fit the bill. Incidentally, no blood was shed, and no lupins harmed during the making of this video. In case anyone doesn't know, this is a song from the fantastic Little Shop of Horrors.

Watson: Holmes! What are you doing with that 200 pound bush?
Holmes: It's a lemon tree Watson.
Thank you Tommy for the lemon tree song.
:)

I Talk to the Trees was in a Broadway western musical comedy (1951), Paint Your Wagon and the movie of the same name (1969), in which Clint Eastwood cavorted through the woods singing it. Yes, really. They Call the Wind Maria and Wanderin' Star are also in it.

I sang it enough times to young ladies back then to remember it still.

Wild lupins

J. Karjalainen has done a song called Wild Lupins

Last edited:

Could this be the Taylor Swift cover I play in my busking set? S/O to my coworker Austin for his cameo appearance.

Season 278. Submission 3. "Rockin' Robin" (Written by Leon Rene, under the pseudonym of Jimmie Thomas (1958))

Bobby Darin had a huge hit with this in 1958 and Michael Jackson released it as a single in 1972.

The song approached me very differently this morning and here is the story I found in its lyrics. (TCK, yep - again. :) )

Val, this is my last one for the week. Thank you for everything! :)

Last edited:
Anyone ever get that feeling when you suddenly remember a song they've been meaning to try for AAAAAAAAGES fits the theme PERFECTLY but by the time your stupid head reminds you it's already Thursday and you're booked full for the rest of the week as well as not yet having chance to record the ones you HAVE been working on all week?

I may experiencing something similar right now :)

Anyone ever get that feeling when you suddenly remember a song they've been meaning to try for AAAAAAAAGES fits the theme PERFECTLY but by the time your stupid head reminds you it's already Thursday and you're booked full for the rest of the week as well as not yet having chance to record the ones you HAVE been working on all week?

I may experiencing something similar right now :)

​Do hope you're able to get round to it, Ryan!

And the end, for me, of yet another exciting day in the Forest. My heartfelt thanks to today's "contreebutors": Elmann, Geoff, Sean, Rob, Rex, Alan, Lynda (BEV), Pa, Rusty, Rick G,
John, Dick, Chelsea, Stan and Linda (Turtledrum)!
And tonight's tree joke is (REX please pay attention):
poplar trees.jpg

Last edited:
Now this is EXCEEDINGLY interesting, Jim .... I had no idea that trees had numbers! I can't wait
to find out what No. 2 is! Thank you for this valuable information ... more please!!!

This is from a Monty Python bit. I figured you'd recognize it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom