Season of the ukulele 278: "YOU CAN'T SEE THE WOOD FOR THE TREES"

Greetings,

I broke out the Electric Uke for the season! This is a Pink Floyd song that mentions trees, and had a tricky picking solo that I did my best on! Here is "Wish You were Here". Have a great week!

Ciao

Here's a new original. A little back story:

When I was a kid, my family was friends with another family who were originally from the same town we were, but who moved around a lot. The father of this family was a preacher, and he went wherever a new, start-up congregation needed a preacher who could support himself (with a "regular" job) because they couldn't afford to pay him. So when I was about 10 years old, they were living in Bogalusa, Louisiana. We went and stayed with them for about a week for vacation that year. One day we drove across the river into Mississippi to visit some other friend of his, and while on his place, my dad saw a bunch of little pine saplings and commented on them. The man who owned the place promptly but carefully dug up 10 of them, roots and a clump of earth and all, and wrapped them up in a wet towel.

Mississippi Pines

Wrapped in a wet towel, ten little pines
Were dug from the ground, he said he'd find
A good place to plant them in Texas sand
They said they'd never grow so far from the land
Where they'd sprung from the ground

Just east of Bogalusa, where the Pearl River flows
Pine cones fell where the tall trees grow
Five hundred miles he took them west
Put them in the ground where he thought best
And he could hear the sound

Of the Mississippi pines blowing in the wind
When the blue norther moaned and the moonlight thinned
Their roots struggled in that dry old sand
So he watered them all by hand

Came a time he knew he'd have to go
But he couldn't leave those little pines all on their own
So he dug 'em up again, afraid they'd die
He saw those Mississippi pines in his mind's eye
Growing in Texas ground

He put 'em in the ground at his new home
He knew he'd nevermore have to roam
So he put them in a line along the road
Where he could sit and rest and watch them from his kitchen window
And he could hear the sound

So he watered them all by hand

Well, a forest fire, it killed one tree
When it was only 'bout as high as me
And the deer killed another when their antlers grew out
And we lost the smallest one in a bad drought
But seven pines survived

Seven pines grew, seven pines stayed,
Growing up in the oak trees shade
I grew up with them, and I climbed them all
Sitting in the branches, hearing the call
Of seven pines alive

I heard the Mississippi pines blowing in the wind
So we watered them all by hand

And now they're taller than the oaks
They stand straight in the summer when the tree frogs croak
And the oaks grow stately in the shade
That the pine trees needles made
And they still sing the song

When the summer breeze moves through their dancing limbs
Their roots are deep in that dry old sand
And they're part of the Texas land

And now the Mississippi pines grow tall and strong
The oak trees nod and try to sing along
When the wind blows they sing their song
And the pine trees sway and sway

Oh, the Mississippi pines, they're still growing there today

Last edited:
278-2

A friend that I met through youtube asked a long time ago if i could play this song some time. Finally getting to it. He has a bushcraft youtube channel (KennethKramm) and has asked me to record some songs in the past for his channel for which I was honored. I think this will surprise him.

Greetings from my Laundry Room Stairs,

Where in a moment of insanity I recorded Stairway to Heaven (shortened considerably for the ease of the listener). If I wasn't so tired I probably would delete it and try again, but alas, got get some sleep. There are nice tree and forest references in this song. The bubble effect is well... because of the laundry.

Ciao
Gina

Well, Ive had a heck of a day. I was planning to spent the day getting several songs done in the trees but the wind was fierce. My daughter and Paisley went up in the wooded rough hills on the off roader and the LED light that was attached to the roof lost the bolts and was hanging by the electrical wiring. I had to go and rig it together good enough to get them down out of the hills and back to the cabin. Believe it or not a blanket and bungee chords was the fix.

Now I see that our charming host has done one of the songs in my plans. Ugh! Now mine will have to be a repeat! There are others that also stole from my list (you know who you are Randy) I only hope that while you were sitting under the apple tree one feel off and hit you on top of the head!

Im afraid tomorrow might be taken up by going after parts to fix the light. Im sure by the time I get around to it someone will have done every song I had planned.......as well you should :)

Have fun posting and sing and have a treerific time!

This song is from Zappa's amazing album, "Overnite Sensation." It is, hands down, my favorite song about the toads in the Short Forest.

Well, Ive had a heck of a day. I was planning to spent the day getting several songs done in the trees but the wind was fierce. My daughter and Paisley went up in the wooded rough hills on the off roader and the LED light that was attached to the roof lost the bolts and was hanging by the electrical wiring. I had to go and rig it together good enough to get them down out of the hills and back to the cabin. Believe it or not a blanket and bungee chords was the fix.

Now I see that our charming host has done one of the songs in my plans. Ugh! Now mine will have to be a repeat! There are others that also stole from my list (you know who you are Randy) I only hope that while you were sitting under the apple tree one feel off and hit you on top of the head!

Im afraid tomorrow might be taken up by going after parts to fix the light. Im sure by the time I get around to it someone will have done every song I had planned.......as well you should :)

Have fun posting and sing and have a treerific time!

Oh, Linda, I am appalled by the misfortunes that have befallen you! But you are obviously a resourceful "woman of the forest"! Apologies for doing "your" song, but I'm finished now, and there is a whole forest full of trees out there for you to choose from! Get out there, woman, and stop messing about with off roaders! X

Wrong number, Wrong Theme, Wrong Melody, what else can you expect
after Scotland drawing 2-2 with England. Into extra time and the English score.
Scotland has not been able to beat England at football for 32 years but we came
so close.

The rowan tree is a sacred tree in Celtic traditions. It was often planted in churchyards
to ward off evil, and planted at the gates of houses to bring protection on the household.

Last edited:
Oh, Linda, I am appalled by the misfortunes that have befallen you! But you are obviously a resourceful "woman of the forest"! Apologies for doing "your" song, but I'm finished now, and there is a whole forest full of trees out there for you to choose from! Get out there, woman, and stop messing about with off roaders! X

Speaking of messing about in the forest on the off roader. This one is best viewed in full screen.

This is one by the brilliant Neil Hannon ( aka The Divine Comedy). I love his songs but some of them are a pig to do on ukulele ;)

I know that I already did this song earlier this year, but there is no rule saying I can't do it again. I would have liked to come up with something new, but I didn't know what else to do, and it it fits the theme.

Anyway, though it is a repetition for me, for most of you it is new - only a fraction of seasonistas can have seen it last time, given the number of views it got.

Yeah, I know, those pines look suspiciously like tomato plants. But don't be fooled!

Top Bottom