Lacquer on HPL ?

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
Every once in a while I get the idea in my head to paint my
Martin OXK , I've always wanted a black ukulele.
Am I nuts , or do you think this can be done . I painted a poly coated
Concert with black lacquer and it came out pretty good , its been
years and the finish is still looking good.
I thought about lightly sanding the whole thing , cleaning it, and then spraying it with lacquer, like I did with the concert uke.
Has anyone had any experience with this combo ? Thanks

Mind you, I've not done this myself, but as an armchair quarterback, I think that in order for the paint to stick to the surface of the 0XK, you might need to sand it, with at least some 800 grit paper to rough up the surface so that the paint has something to stick to, since the HPL with the koa photo 'veneer' may not be porous enough for anything to get any sticktion to it...

you may find some hints on google or youtube for 'painting formica'

I would avoid using any kind of primer, automotive or otherwise, since that might add weight or stiffness to the top and back, a therefore inhibit the free vibration of the surface, with the exception of the case in which you might want to reduce sustain and/or volume.

Me too ,..........I hope it has lots of "Sticktion" . I spoke to a professional finisher and he thinks it can be done. This is just in idea stages so I'm not sure of if and when I'll do it.
He said to use 320 grit sandpaper. The more I think about it , the more I want to do it.

It's done all the time in touch-up work. You should be fine.

A light scuffing is a good idea and do use a primer/sealer first. They are actually more flexible than the topcoat and will give you better binding/adhesion.

Pictures! We want to see PICTURES!!!

Good luck, hope it comes out great!

Top Bottom