Bb Chord Tips

great video Aaron! All of those are good tips, and in one nice concise video.
Glad you mentioned the factory setup height too. My first Kala was way too high for my newbie fingers. Also it was a Tenor, so more tension.
I guess size could be a factor too that could be mentioned too --- where soprano = less tension, concert = average tension, tenor = more tension - assuming for standard gcea tuning.

So long as it is comfortable and you are not setting up any unnecessary tension in the rest of your fingers, I doubt if it makes any difference.

Since we're talking barre chords, the best advice I received, barre none, is this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E4Au0JeNmk

It instantaneously improved my barres. It essentially promotes working with gravity, which is pulling your hand earthward, by pulling down with the barre instead of inwardly against the fretboard. Obviously, you don't want to pull so much that it bends the note.

Sculptor- yes, some folks twist the other way, I find that that direction closes my hand off and makes it harder to add my other fingers for the other barre shapes.
Aaron

Well I really like the twist towards the fret for the D7 and Bm7 chord shapes where the other fingers aren't a big issue. I tried the suggested twist away from the fret for the Bb and I suppose it works better but that twist doesn't work for me on chords like the D7 and Bm7. If you think about twisting towards the fret it seems your finger is making contact with the strings closer to the fret which in general should be better.

-- Gary

All good advice, also rather than try to play the Bb chord. Using the same fingering, slide up to the 5th fret, that's a D chord. and work on the full bar at that position. It's easier to fret towards the middle of the fretboard rather that up by the nut. When you are comfortable there slide down to the 3rd fret, same fingering, that's a C chord. Then work your way down to the Bb chord. I think this really helps mastering the barre.

Last edited:
Top Bottom