Build Thread: Custom Blackbird Farallon

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
Previously I owned and loved a Blackbird Clara, which was made with Pegheds per my request (the first they did) as I found the then stock side tuners quite unattractive. I re-homed the uke as I was rotating through ukes faster than kids eat pizza, but intended to get another one someday as I loved its tone and playability.

I rate ukes across four dimensions: (1) tone, (2) playability, (3) aesthetics and (4) build execution. Maybe if I was a real player, I'd only care about 1 & 2. But I care quite a lot about 3 and 4. Second order to 1 and 2, but important nonetheless to my enjoyment. YMMV.

I loved both the Clara and Farallon for 1, 2 and 4. But both left me lacking on #3. So, at NAMM I discussed with CEO Joe Luttwak some changes that I thought might make the Farallon more aesthetically pleasing. My wish list included:

- Unigrain eKoa top like their eKoa guitars
- Fancy rosette
- Side soundport
- Matt-finish fretboard with parellogram fretmarkers
- Sunburst finish

Joe took on the challenge and sent me a progress pic today. I'm really excited. It's probably 4-6 weeks away from completion, but here is a progress picture:

Many of you may have seen the sunburst finish on the Farallon that HMS sold recently. It lasted about six hours on the site. I do think it compressed the sound a bit vs. the non-gloss finish, but it still sounded fantastic to my ears.

Of course, when this baby arrives, I will do a full review and sound sample. Don't worry, it will include Time in a Bottle. LOL.

Looks great- really like your recommendations and the fact that Joe took you up on the challenge! Can't wait to see the finished product! I've been wanting one for awhile, might have to wait longer now...

Very nice, and hats off to Blackbird for going outside of their regular builds. Maybe this will lead to more variations in trim designs? Can't wait to see your completed Custom Blackbird!

I like the grain orientation , sound port is a must so another great choice. That one on HMS.......well lets just say I got a bad case of "sunburst envy" as mine will be just plan. Yours should be a beauty

Last edited:
Wow, that really looks neat. Great ideas!

I like the grain on the top Eddie. Looks great.

Very nice Eddie! You have great eye for beautiful instrument compositions. Hope Joe continues with more custom builds similar to yours.

That sunburst finished Farallon @ HMS was gorgeous. But, won't the lacquer finish make it more susceptible to the outdoor elements, or is the type of lacquer more water/UV resistant than nitro?

Looks beautiful Eddie.................and I'll bet the volume will crank up considerably.

Based on my experience with the Farallon, this one should hit #'s 1-4 for you Eddie. Look forward to seeing the final product. Also, since you have played multiple versions, I will be curious to hear your perception of tonal comparison between the different tops.

A nice looking Farallon for sure!! The side sound port makes a real difference sound wise.
If aesthetics is important for you I suggest you also ask for a string-through bridge, it will look cleaner (just my biased opinion of course as my Farallon has this feature :p)

Congratulations, Eddie! Some great ideas for improvement there, and I'm glad to hear people like Joe of Blackbird are working together with their customers in order to improve or adapt their products. Looking forward for more Infos and pics on this build.

As a Farallon owner I certainly do like the looks of the unigrain eKoa. People already pick up my Farallon and think it's made of wood, with that unigrain it would be hard to convince them that it's not. Not sure about the rosette though, as I think I prefer the understated simplicity of the plain top. I definitely to have side port envy though, and may have to send mine back some day soon for some surgery.

Yes, I'm really excited that Blackbird was open to these ideas for more personalization/customization. The Farallon is a fantastic sounding instrument with great playability, even compared to instruments costing twice the price. Add in its durability and lower maintenance with a chance to further personalize its aesthetics for those interested, and it's hard-to-beat. Everybody should have one in their quiver. ;-)

@Doc_J: I checked with Joe regarding the gloss finish and any potential impact on weather durability. He says it will not affect weather durability. Of course, it will be more susceptible to scratches like any gloss finish and for this reason I really agonized over whether to do gloss or not. I'm pretty gentle with my instruments so opted for the bling! For those wanting a Farallon they can knock around without worry, they may want to stick with the non-gloss finish (but can still do things like the rosette, fretmarkers, etc.).

@tof: Agree on string-through bridge (my preferred bridge type) and am planning on that customization as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

@besley: Yes, agree the rosette is a highly personal choice and it's awesome that Blackbird is open to offering options. Like Burger King, "Have it your way!". LOL.

Last edited:
Wow, that is going to be super special, first of its kind!! I don't know how you can possibly decide which of your ukes to play, Eddie. If I can help in any way by relieving you of one of the others, please don't hesitate to let me know. ;)

(I'm glad it's not a sin to covet thy neighbor's uke, cuz I get a tingly feeling every time I see a pic of the one Jake built for you!)

Last edited:
She's back from getting the sunburst done:

Not sure if I'll have more photos to share before it ships, but hope to. I should have it inside the next two weeks.

Sunburst really turned out fantastic Eddie- very unique. Fret markers are special too- I had to do a double take on which frets they were on. Never even one on the first fret, then on 9 instead of 10. Looking forward to the NUD.

Top Bottom