Build Thread: Custom Blackbird Farallon

Really nice instrument, congrats!
I see that the fretboard is different... marker back to 10th fret ;)

I'm looking forward to getting your feedback on the "unidirectional" top compared to the standard one.

Eddie, that's a beauty. I'm curious: how was the rosette done for this model?

Eddie, that's a beauty. I'm curious: how was the rosette done for this model?

When I first discussed this project at NAMM in January, I told them what features I would would and one was a nice rosette. They now have a variety of rosettes they can offer and I simply picked one that appealed to me.

Thanks for all the comments. I am really very happy with how it turned out. Below is a sound sample (apologies, it's long at 6 minutes) and includes some simple scales to show range of open string up to the 9th fret (Harmonized F Scale), then two fingerstyle songs and finally a bit of 12-bar blues.

This is tuned Linear B (not Bb) using Carbonblacks. The sample is completely "dry" using an Apogee mic and Garageband.

https://soundcloud.com/ukulele-eddie/farallon-linear-b-carbonblacks

I'd love to hear people's candid thoughts (don't be shy about saying what you really think, but it would be helpful to hear your adjectives whether they are positive or negative).

Eddie the biggest compliment I can give you is I listened to the WHOLE recording, that doesn't happen often. Great playing by the way, I really enjoyed the complete sample. I think the Farallon and those Carbonblack strings support the B tuning very well. It gives it a deep bluesy kinda tone, bordering on baritone. But I am always striving for a warmish sound so this is personal preference. Maybe a little too warm in some passgaes, lacked a little sparkle. I could hear the C string becoming a bit thuddy sometimes. But I think the instrument sounds wonderful

One thing I have found with my Farallon tuned to C is it's tendency to be bright and metallic sounding in the upper registers. I have gone to Dogal extra soft classical guitar strings for my E and A strings (wound G and C string from South Coast). Your Farallon sounds as nice as it looks.........are you happy with it????

Last edited:
@DownUpDave, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I wouldn't mind a little more in the upper registers but even if I don't achieve that with other strings, I am quite happy with the tone particularly for fingerstyle. In person, I don't find the 3rd string boomy. I'm still new to the recording stuff and I think my recording level may have been set too high. I wonder if that could be a contributing factor?

Nice Eddie. Looks and sounds good. When do you want us to come over and take it home for a long visit? I know you'll soon need more space. It does have some "bling" to it.

Thanks for all the comments. I am really very happy with how it turned out. Below is a sound sample (apologies, it's long at 6 minutes) and includes some simple scales to show range of open string up to the 9th fret (Harmonized F Scale), then two fingerstyle songs and finally a bit of 12-bar blues.

This is tuned Linear B (not Bb) using Carbonblacks. The sample is completely "dry" using an Apogee mic and Garageband.

https://soundcloud.com/ukulele-eddie/farallon-linear-b-carbonblacks

I'd love to hear people's candid thoughts (don't be shy about saying what you really think, but it would be helpful to hear your adjectives whether they are positive or negative).

Eddie, love that full, rich, and clear tone in B tuning. Sounds pretty balanced to me. Great playing. Two more songs and you're halfway to full album.

Nice demo Eddie. I hear very clear acoustic ukulele. Love it. Good range of sounds by the demo. Beautiful custom version. Notes are clear, crisp and ring out. Nice playing. The scale samples were cool also.

@M3Ukulele and @Doc_J, thank you. To my ears, there is a "crispness" and an "airiness" to its tone and as I play it more I'm appreciating it even more.

@Quiltingshirley, are you coming to LA Uke Festival? I'll be there at the Luthiers for a Cause booth, so stop by. I'll likely have it with me since I don't have to worry about the heat! ;-)

I'll do a full review in a couple of weeks.

A number of people have asked me about the unigrain top. I'm tickled pink with how it turned out, both aesthetically and tonally. And I've now had enough other people listen and/or play it who've given it a big thumbs up on tone. Joe was pleased with the feedback. While he is not yet ready to offer this personalization feature on the web site, he is willing to produce more. The unigrain top on a uke will continue to require a gloss finish for the time being, so the total for this feature is $600 ($400 for the gloss, sunburst and $200 for the unigrain top). You can contact Joe through the Blackbird web site or feel free to contact me and I'll put you in touch.

She's back from getting the sunburst done:

Not sure if I'll have more photos to share before it ships, but hope to. I should have it inside the next two weeks.

That's a very nice burst!

Wow. I have a plain-jane Farrallon that I absolutely love and adore the sound of--but yours *looks* as good as it sounds! I enjoyed the sound sample you posted, and wonder whether you could tell me where to find the tab (or music) to the finger-style pieces (particularly the second one). Thanks!

Wow. I have a plain-jane Farrallon that I absolutely love and adore the sound of--but yours *looks* as good as it sounds! I enjoyed the sound sample you posted, and wonder whether you could tell me where to find the tab (or music) to the finger-style pieces (particularly the second one). Thanks!

Thanks, @Otterishly. The first fingerstyle was a tab Seeso shared of Time in a Bottle which I found here on UU. If can't find it, PM me and I can provide it. The second song is Corey's version of Chet Atkins' Still Can't Say Goodbye. The tab can be found on The Ukulele Review, here:

http://www.theukulelereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/transcribed_corey_goodbye.pdf

Best, Eddie

Top Bottom