Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Build Thread: Custom Blackbird Farallon

Eddie, wow and more wow. I like what I see! Talk about making a statement. In your case, a grand entrance! You made mine looks dull and conservative.
    A beautiful uke without maintenance ! How cool is that?
    Looking forward to sound sample !
    Last edited by SoloRule; 08-31-2017 at 04:53 AM. Reason: typo
    Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Eddie View Post
    That is PURRfect!!!! ;-)
    I think the ring is brass but you might want to ask.

Wow. That is a special Uke. Congrats. So Unique.
    How bad is your UAS?

My stock Farallon is jealous!

Wow! Very cool!
    Kanile'a KSTP Natural Koa Tenor (High G)
    Mya-Moe Curly Myrtle Tenor (Low G)
    Martin 0XB Soprano (Everyday Carry)

Really nice instrument, congrats!
    I see that the fretboard is different... marker back to 10th fret

I'm looking forward to getting your feedback on the "unidirectional" top compared to the standard one.

Eddie, that's a beauty. I'm curious: how was the rosette done for this model?

Quote Originally Posted by PJoya View Post
    Eddie, that's a beauty. I'm curious: how was the rosette done for this model?
    When I first discussed this project at NAMM in January, I told them what features I would would and one was a nice rosette. They now have a variety of rosettes they can offer and I simply picked one that appealed to me.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Thanks for all the comments. I am really very happy with how it turned out. Below is a sound sample (apologies, it's long at 6 minutes) and includes some simple scales to show range of open string up to the 9th fret (Harmonized F Scale), then two fingerstyle songs and finally a bit of 12-bar blues.

This is tuned Linear B (not Bb) using Carbonblacks. The sample is completely "dry" using an Apogee mic and Garageband.

https://soundcloud.com/ukulele-eddie...b-carbonblacks

I'd love to hear people's candid thoughts (don't be shy about saying what you really think, but it would be helpful to hear your adjectives whether they are positive or negative).
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Eddie the biggest compliment I can give you is I listened to the WHOLE recording, that doesn't happen often. Great playing by the way, I really enjoyed the complete sample. I think the Farallon and those Carbonblack strings support the B tuning very well. It gives it a deep bluesy kinda tone, bordering on baritone. But I am always striving for a warmish sound so this is personal preference. Maybe a little too warm in some passgaes, lacked a little sparkle. I could hear the C string becoming a bit thuddy sometimes. But I think the instrument sounds wonderful

One thing I have found with my Farallon tuned to C is it's tendency to be bright and metallic sounding in the upper registers. I have gone to Dogal extra soft classical guitar strings for my E and A strings (wound G and C string from South Coast). Your Farallon sounds as nice as it looks.........are you happy with it????
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 09-07-2017 at 02:56 AM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Thread Information