Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Thread: Custom Blackbird Farallon

A nice looking Farallon for sure!! The side sound port makes a real difference sound wise.
    If aesthetics is important for you I suggest you also ask for a string-through bridge, it will look cleaner (just my biased opinion of course as my Farallon has this feature )

Congratulations, Eddie! Some great ideas for improvement there, and I'm glad to hear people like Joe of Blackbird are working together with their customers in order to improve or adapt their products. Looking forward for more Infos and pics on this build.

As a Farallon owner I certainly do like the looks of the unigrain eKoa. People already pick up my Farallon and think it's made of wood, with that unigrain it would be hard to convince them that it's not. Not sure about the rosette though, as I think I prefer the understated simplicity of the plain top. I definitely to have side port envy though, and may have to send mine back some day soon for some surgery.

Yes, I'm really excited that Blackbird was open to these ideas for more personalization/customization. The Farallon is a fantastic sounding instrument with great playability, even compared to instruments costing twice the price. Add in its durability and lower maintenance with a chance to further personalize its aesthetics for those interested, and it's hard-to-beat. Everybody should have one in their quiver. ;-)

@Doc_J: I checked with Joe regarding the gloss finish and any potential impact on weather durability. He says it will not affect weather durability. Of course, it will be more susceptible to scratches like any gloss finish and for this reason I really agonized over whether to do gloss or not. I'm pretty gentle with my instruments so opted for the bling! For those wanting a Farallon they can knock around without worry, they may want to stick with the non-gloss finish (but can still do things like the rosette, fretmarkers, etc.).

@tof: Agree on string-through bridge (my preferred bridge type) and am planning on that customization as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

@besley: Yes, agree the rosette is a highly personal choice and it's awesome that Blackbird is open to offering options. Like Burger King, "Have it your way!". LOL.
    Last edited by Ukulele Eddie; 06-14-2017 at 05:13 AM.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Wow, that is going to be super special, first of its kind!! I don't know how you can possibly decide which of your ukes to play, Eddie. If I can help in any way by relieving you of one of the others, please don't hesitate to let me know.

(I'm glad it's not a sin to covet thy neighbor's uke, cuz I get a tingly feeling every time I see a pic of the one Jake built for you!)
    Last edited by mmfitzsimons; 06-14-2017 at 07:30 AM.

She's back from getting the sunburst done:

Not sure if I'll have more photos to share before it ships, but hope to. I should have it inside the next two weeks.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Eddie View Post
    She's back from getting the sunburst done:

Not sure if I'll have more photos to share before it ships, but hope to. I should have it inside the next two weeks.

Eddie. This is one stunning looking uke ! Did not know blackbird make this model.
    Brenda

Really, really nice!!
    Have you thought about" sunbursting" the headstock to match?

My gosh Eddie that is a work of art!!!!!
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Very nice Eddie. I'm jealous.

Thread Information