Thread: Baritone Tuning

Default Baritone Tuning

A friend of mine just bought a baritone Uke. He wants me to teach him some stuff. Can a baritone be tuned to gCEA tuning? Would that require different strings?

Thanks,
    Matt
    Last edited by ash13brook; 06-13-2017 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ash13brook View Post
    A friend of mine just bought a baritone Uke. He wants me to teach him some stuff. Can a baritone be tuned to gCEA tuning? Would that require different strings?

Thanks,
    Matt
    Yes it would require different strings. Because normal baritone tuning (DGBE) is so much lower then gCEA tuning the strings are much thicker to support the lower tension. Tune those same strings up to gCEA and the tension is way too high on the instrument. An easy, cheap solution is use normal tenor or concert gauge strings to achieve a high G tuning. I have done that with a couple baritones and it worked well.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Yes, it can. Yes, it would require different strings.
    You can still teach him without different strings. Just get a baritone chord chart, like this one.

Also he could get a capo and put it on the 5th fret (?????) and use the same chord shapes as you. But, as he has a Bari, at the end of the day I would recommend that he learns standard bari tuning (DGBE) chord shapes as there are a lot of song transcriptions out there for Baritones. There is still a lot you can teach him (e.g. strumming patterns, what chords are in the songs he likes (not chord shapes), etc.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Current Instruments:
    Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Barron River 8 string tenor - All Honduran Quilted/Waterfall Figured Mahogany
    Collings UC2 Concert - All Mahogany
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce

On Order:
    Beau Hannam Players Model - Tenor - Vintage Sun Burst all Tasmanian Blackwood - almost finished

He could keep the same strings... use the DGBE tuning and just get songs chorded for the bari....
    www.doctoruke.com has bari chorded songs along with GCEA songs.. you could both download the same song and play together. Plus if you dont know a song Dr Uke makes a recording of what hes got listed there so you can hear how it goes.. You can still help him with the chords.. Dr ukes site shows the pictures of the chords which is very helpful when your starting out..
    Bud
    Spokane WA

And don't forget that Jim Beloff's Daily 365 books are available for Baritone in the same keys as the GCEA books.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Or your friend can do nothing differently. For example, show him how to play a blues progression in C. It will work on the baritone...except that he'll be playing the blues in G. However the shapes will be the same.

Thread Information