Newest Uke

sequoia

Reaction score
Just finished the newest. Faught me every inch of the way. Reminds me of catching trout: Just as soon as you think you have the thing landed, it heads down stream. Sounds really good. The thing is it sounded great from the get go. All I had to do was put it all together.

DSCN7699.jpgDSCN7701.jpgDSCN7703.jpg DSCN7711.jpg DSCN7717.jpg

Nice! Myrtle/cedar? Tenor? Bindings look really nice. Fretboard even. Sweet :cool:

Nice! Myrtle/cedar? Tenor? Bindings look really nice. Fretboard even. Sweet :cool:

Myrtle and terrified (torrefied) spruce. Koa bindings. Fretboard of east Indian rosewood of middling quality. The days of rosewood as a fretboard material I think are almost over. So many good alternatives are available. Still, I will miss it just because I'm a traditionalist. But really, it is just a fingerboard and after awhile just turns black from use so who really cares? Anything really hard qualifies. Beau D'Arc anyone? I don't think so.

“In the last three years, Gibson Guitars has been raided twice by the U.S. Fish And Wildlife Service. On the first occasion, in 2009, $70,000 worth of Madagascan Ebony, earmarked for the production of fingerboards, was seized. This timber, to this day, has not been returned to Gibson, and yet, not a single criminal charge has been filed against them.

It's a beautiful one alright! Great craftsmanship, all the way. Those bindings are so tasty... awesome! (I've been poring over the "what's in your shed" archives while your neighbor Dave Sigman builds my first custom; fascinating stuff! Can people get addicted to build photos, the way they do p***? )

Is this uke for sale or was it built as a custom order for a client/customer? Any pics of the headstock?

Naw. I've only done a few customs and it drove me crazy... Headstock is nothing special. Just some rosewood veneer. No inlays. Keeping it simple on this one.

DSCN7749-001.jpg

Looks fantastic Sequoia!

Love it... I bet it does sound great.......
Beautiful wood...
Glad you landed it!!

I don't make or sell a lot of ukes, but when I do, it makes me feel so good because the new owner is so happy. Picture of the new owner being transported by the sound. I was also happy because I made some money ($$$). Everybody wins.

DSCN7800.jpg

Top Bottom