do you carry your music stand in your ukulele case?

Uncle Rod Higuchi

Reaction score
I have a Gator rigid but not hard case and a new, gifted longneck soprano
uke crafted by a luthier friend for my birthday (June 7th) :)

anyway, in anticipation of my trip to HNL (July 13 to Aug 11), and seeing
that I will be traveling by Bus, I'm working out the best way for me to
carry all my stuff on a daily basis. actually, I may not need my music stand everyday, but i'm still figuring out how to carry it when I do need it.

it appears to fit inside the case with the uke (don't worry, i'm working on
some kind of barrier between the stand and the uke - to protect the stand... I mean the uke :)

So, I was wondering HOW you might be carrying your portable, folding
music stand, especially if you are on foot or on public transportation.

Thanks,

keep uke'in',

What Down Up Dick said. I have a stand that came with a little nylon bag. Bungee it around the outside of the case or loop the bag's drawstring around the case handle.

My gigbag has backpack straps and a couple of flaps that fold over the straps with velcro. With careful arrangement of the flaps and velcro, I can enclose a music stand. More often, however, this space holds a can of Diet Vernor's.

I have also been known to duct-tape a stand to a folding camp chair. But I would not tape a stand onto an ukulele case. I've got standards!

How about finding a backpack that will fit both your uke (in its case) and the music stand? Perhaps with room or other pockets for some other small items, as well?

bratsche

Thanks, yeah.

what I find, however, is that the weight of the stand tends to make the backpack list to one side,
and that trying to center the stand is also awkward for me. Not that it can't be done, but 'been
there, done that' :)

thanks for great suggestions and advice :)

I believe the input you guys are sharing with me will be helpful to many readers of this thread.

keep uke'in',

Maybe then you could find a backpack with external nylon straps at the bottom on either side (or affix said straps yoursalf). Then you could strap the stand across horizontally in a stable fixed position, and have your load better balanced.

bratsche

I use a rolling back pack, that is versatile enough to carry my ukulele in a gig bag, Nook reader in a custom made stand or books and a light weight stand or one or two books and a regular metal stand and anything that might be use full from a hair brush to kazoo. I'm all for rollers on the device.

Last edited:
I bought a dual compartment backpack strap uke bag just so I could carry my uke, tablet and music stand with a tablet mount. Here's an old photo before I trimmed down what I carry.

Uke bag 72.jpg

Rllink: That looks the business! I just opened a new thread under -Beginners- asking about amps and pedals, and noticed you have "pedals" and a mini amp. Would be intrigued to learn a little more if you have the time.

Last edited:
I bought a dual compartment backpack strap uke bag just so I could carry my uke, tablet and music stand with a tablet mount. Here's an old photo before I trimmed down what I carry.

Uke bag 72.jpg

I like that setup. I try to keep things light and minimal, and as time goes on it gets harder. To keep it all within reason I try to think along the lines of what I need, and not what I might need. I got along for a long time going out without a stand and just improvising something, but after a while I started lugging a stand along with me as well. But when I go out busking I am often times on foot, so that really restricts how much stuff I can haul along with me, and your setup there looks pretty good for what I do. I may have to invest in a new gig bag. At this point I have a small suitcase with everything in it. I would like to cut that back a little. When I'm walking to where I'm going to play I have taxis stopping and asking if I'm going to the airport.

Now, this is really compact! Shoot, we just had to buy a WAGON to haul all of gear around. We did buy iPad holders to attach to the mic stands so as to be able to leave the music stands at home. Just one more object to trip over.

Rllink: That looks the business! I just opened a new thread under -Beginners- asking about amps and pedals, and noticed you have "pedals" and a mini amp. Would be intrigued to learn a little more if you have the time.
That's not mine, that is KohanMike's. I was just commenting on it. I know nothing about his mini amp, but I think that foot pedal is a page turner for his iPad. He can correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks so much, guys... and gals! :)

for such a small and portable instrument, it's a wonder how much 'stuff' we end up carrying around!

I have used both a backpack and a roller backpack (which I find very uncomfortable as a backpack)
but on the bus, together, they take up a lot of space, so I get the 'stink eye' during rush hour :(
also, depending on the model, the wheels can be quiet and smooth or loud and 'not' smooth :)

I'm trying to get by with one bag to carry them all, ideally a backpack for carrying convenience. I can
sometimes place the uke bag in the backpack and consolidate the load. otherwise, it's traveling with
a backpack AND a uke case. I prefer traveling hands free, but it is what it is

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

keep uke'in',

for such a small and portable instrument, it's a wonder how much 'stuff' we end up carrying around!
In the car on the way to a club gig, I'll bring the whole kit and kaboodle. There's plenty of room for stands in the trunk.

But if I'm walking or taking the bus (or bicycle) then I'm carrying a uke and a tuner plus bus fare and my phone. Nothing else is worth the hassle. If I'll be walking around outside all day, I'll put on a hat and sling my Firefly across my back. No case. It starts conversations and my arms don't ache later from lugging stuff.

If somebody hands me tab, I can balance it on my knee. Lay it on the floor. Set it on a table or chair. Even tape it to the back of a chair (or another player if it comes to that). Or share a stand with somebody who drove here.

You could totally do the same. Not every time if you don't want to. But once in a while give yourself permission to travel light and see where it takes you.

Thanks, yeah.

what I find, however, is that the weight of the stand tends to make the backpack list to one side,
and that trying to center the stand is also awkward for me. Not that it can't be done, but 'been
there, done that' :)

thanks for great suggestions and advice :)

I believe the input you guys are sharing with me will be helpful to many readers of this thread.

keep uke'in',

You mean you don't have an ultra light weight carbon fiber music stand??? :nana:

Just kidding but they do make some really light aluminum ones that might
make life easier for you.

-- Gary

Now, this is really compact! Shoot, we just had to buy a WAGON to haul all of gear around. We did buy iPad holders to attach to the mic stands so as to be able to leave the music stands at home. Just one more object to trip over.

That's not mine, that is KohanMike's. I was just commenting on it. I know nothing about his mini amp, but I think that foot pedal is a page turner for his iPad. He can correct me if I'm wrong.

Sure, post any question you want and hopefully my answers will help others as well.

I actually changed things since setting up that bag a few years ago; I now use a 13.3" Android tablet with a tablet holder.

I bought a ChromaCast gig bag that hold a folding stand. Cheap and works fine, back pack straps and a small extras pouch. Not a lot of room for gear, or printed music though.

Top Bottom