Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best ukulele for beginners...Wirecutter

Yes i rather liked the Donner I reviewed. Much better than the likes of Caramel.

As for this video - typical of so many new 'review' sites these days - they are nothing more than Amazon affiliate sites. Every click likely to get revenue from an Amazon sale. Plus the web page lost all credibility for me when it says that Luna are 'great'... ugh..
    4 Strings made of nylon, always put a smile on, anybody's face who's feeling blue....

The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Ukulele beginner? My beginners handbooks for Kindle!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Martin S1, Fluke, Flea, Kiwaya KTS-5, Pono MHD Pro Classic

Hi, everybody. I'm the one who wrote the article on Wirecutter. Thanks for your feedback here, it's helpful. To answer a couple of your questions:

1) Yes, Wirecutter gets much of its revenue from Amazon affiliate links. We're very open about that. We couldn't afford to do what we do if our revenue were based solely on networked ads. If you look around on the site, you'll see that we work with other affiliates as well, and we've even recommended products for which we didn't have an affiliate relationship.

2) TMK, none of the ukes we tested were clones. I don't have the samples handy right now, but as I recall, the only ones that looked at all similar were the Oscar Schmidt and Cordoda concerts, and the Oscar Schmidt (at least the sample we got) had inferior tuners. Of course, some of them likely came from the same factory, but that's the way of the world these days.

3) I tested models that either got great reviews somewhere on the web, and in general that I was able to get samples of, although we bought a couple we felt were important to include but weren't able to get a response from. Eventually we will do an update on this article, so if there are any models you think we should test, please let us know in the comments section of that article.

4) We decided to limit the price to $120 because dealers (even McCabe's!) told me $100 is about the max that a beginner would normally spend on a uke.

Thanks for reading the article!

---BB

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    Yes i rather liked the Donner I reviewed. Much better than the likes of Caramel.

As for this video - typical of so many new 'review' sites these days - they are nothing more than Amazon affiliate sites. Every click likely to get revenue from an Amazon sale. Plus the web page lost all credibility for me when it says that Luna are 'great'... ugh..
    The thing about Amazon reviews, or Best Buy, or any of those type of reviews, is that a lot of people get something, look at it, play with it for a few minutes, then can't wait to write a review of how much they love their brand new purchase. The question, how long do you use something before you can give it a fair review? I don't have the answer to that. But another thing, my wife was the VP of a software company and before that she was a technical writer. I know that she did not do this, but she was always talking about comapnies who had their staff writers who write reviews for their own software. How do you know who is a legit reviewer, and who is just a staff writer promoting a product?
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    There's more than one road into Richmond. Lil' Rev
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    Actually I started with a Pono MT strung low-g and then I got a Cordoba 35T-SE strung high-g. I'm pretty sure it's still just nylon strings (Aguilla) on a Cordoba (I contacted them about this before I bought) although I suppose somebody could put flurocarbons on them but they don't come from Cordoba that way. By the way, I assume you got yours setup because I've heard that Cordoba's often need a nut high adjustment.

-- Gary
    I believe that I got my Cordoba from Elderly instruments...I don't quite remember. However I do remember specifically asking the vendor to put on Worth low-g strings. From the get-go I had intended to make the Cordoba my warm-sounding ukulele. If they adjusted the nut, that's something they did of their own accord. All I know is that it played great right out of the box...except for having to re-tune it every day for a while 'til the strings stretched out. It was probably the second best lump of money I have spent...the first being the $35 I paid for my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    ...the first being the $35 I paid for my wife.
    What? Huh?
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    What? Huh?
    Marriage licenses cost $35 in those days.

We received a report suggesting that Brent's post above is an advertisement.

Having read through the thread, I find that not to be the case. The post was a response to discussion of the article and was formulated in a reasonable, non-spammy way. The merits of the affiliate status of the site where the article was published are not UU's concern, so long as no one posts promotionally here in an attempt to drive traffic to tht affiliate site.

Bear that in mind and the discussion can carry on.

Thanks.
    And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no,
    And whether the skin be black or white as the snow,
    Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong,
    As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.

Thread Information