Kala Soprano Exotic Mahogany

Rllink

Reaction score
Can I get some thoughts about the Kala Soprano Exotic Mahogany ukulele, KA-SEM? I have already read reviews that I have found, but I'm more interested in the opinions of people who have actually lived with one for a while, not people who got one, played it, and then wrote a review. Thanks.

I bought a KA-SEME, still have it, but soprano isn't my size. It's a good uke for it's price, acoustically on a par with other sopranos I tried, better than some, fairly warm tone in comparison to some. (Also have a KA-S which is also a nice uke, as is the KA-SLNG if you fancy a long neck.)

I also bought the KA-CEME, & quite liked it too. Concert was my scale whilst learning, but I've moved on to tenor scale Ohana long neck solid mahogany ukes, soprano & concert bodied, as my main players now.

I bought a KA-SEME, still have it, but soprano isn't my size. It's a good uke for it's price, acoustically on a par with other sopranos I tried, better than some, fairly warm tone in comparison to some. (Also have a KA-S which is also a nice uke, as is the KA-SLNG if you fancy a long neck.)

I also bought the KA-CEME, & quite liked it too. Concert was my scale whilst learning, but I've moved on to tenor scale Ohana long neck solid mahogany ukes, soprano & concert bodied, as my main players now.
First of all, thanks for the insight. I play a concert size as well, and I'm not just looking for another ukulele to buy. The Kala Exotic Mahogany uke keeps popping up on my computer screen and it caught my eye, unlike most of the other ukuleles that pop up on my screen over the course of the day. Probably the more I click on it to look at it, the more it pops up. But I'm not all anxious to get my hands on one this instant, it is just that a soprano might fit a niche in my life. But I'm thinking about it and I tend to think about things for a long time before I do anything. I don't fancy a long neck, but thanks for the suggestions.

Bought my SEM in the marketplace for a song back in 2014. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...the-box-Kala-SEM-exotic-soprano-with-freebies

Tried a set of red nylon strings on it but soon switched over to a reentrant set of Aquila reds and haven't looked back. Still using the same strings this is my most played ukulele. While the ukulele came with an awesome setup I did after a year or so lower the strings at the nut a smidge to my taste. Played alone the ukulele has a great sound easy to fall in love with. Compared to my KA GAS while the solid wood is a bit richer in tones the SEM sounds a bit less but also a bit lower in tone.

I would recommend the SEM to anyone looking for a good instrument in the $120 range. Realize the bindings on this ukulele are just painted on. The exotic maple while very beautiful to look at is very very thin. I would buy another if this one ever was broken or stolen.

1 SEM + 1 set of Aquila reds = 100% LOVE

Thanks for that Al. Eventually I will get my hands on one. Until then I'll just do my on line research and see where it goes.

Top Bottom