Satin Finish Turning Glossy. Can It Be Reversed?

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm the proud owner of a KoAloha Concert ukulele. Over the past year, the satin/matte finish on the soundboard, particularly the area next to soundhole where I usually rest my little finger when fingerpicking, has started to go glossy/shiny. I understand this is due to a combination of finger oils and friction (I do tend to have oily skin). My question is can this finish be restored to its original satin finish? It looks weird having this gloss area on an otherwise matte finish. Should I just chalk it up to normal wear and learn to live with it?

I'm the proud owner of a KoAloha Concert ukulele. Over the past year, the satin/matte finish on the soundboard, particularly the area next to soundhole where I usually rest my little finger when fingerpicking, has started to go glossy/shiny. I understand this is due to a combination of finger oils and friction (I do tend to have oily skin). My question is can this finish be restored to its original satin finish? It looks weird having this gloss area on an otherwise matte finish. Should I just chalk it up to normal wear and learn to live with it?
I've taken a satin finish and "glossed" it using an automotive scratch remover [rubbing compound] but never went the other way. I would just leave it alone. A musical instrument is meant to be played and honest play wear is a badge of honor in my book and an indication of a "good" instrument. My gloss Koaloha tenor is satin below the soundhole from my fingernail scratches .

A musical instrument is meant to be played and honest play wear is a badge of honor in my book and an indication of a "good" instrument.

Agreed wholeheartedly :)

The satin finish on my tenor has worn to gloss above the soundhole from regular clawhammer playing, a similar wear pattern to my banjo and I'm proud of it!

You won't be judged by what you instrument looks like if you can play it well!

:music:

If you really want to get the satin look back, use 0000 steel wool with a little paste wax or wool lube and rub in the direction of the wood grain. Its easy.

.....A musical instrument is meant to be played and honest play wear is a badge of honor in my book and an indication of a "good" instrument.......

Totally agree also. I am always bemused by the attitude that an instrument that has a mark on it, even a minor one, is somehow worth less than one that has never or hardly ever been played but is in pristine, as new condition.

The gloss affect you mention is called patina, only acquired by age and use, highly valued by many and said by some to add to the tone of an instrument.

I've taken a satin finish and "glossed" it using an automotive scratch remover [rubbing compound] but never went the other way. I would just leave it alone. A musical instrument is meant to be played and honest play wear is a badge of honor in my book and an indication of a "good" instrument. My gloss Koaloha tenor is satin below the soundhole from my fingernail scratches .[/QUOTE

I have "glossed a few as well. I love the low gloss it produces and how it shows off the woods colors and grain. I've read very light use of 0000 or 00000
steel wool will get the job done if it's satin, matte is another matter - two different finishes. You should be hearing from some "finishing experts" soon.

If you really want to get the satin look back, use 0000 steel wool with a little paste wax or wool lube and rub in the direction of the wood grain. Its easy.

I usually de-gloss the neck of my uke as it feels better to me when I play. I use the above method but with scotchbrite pads and paste wax. Quick and easy.

Top Bottom