Interesting opinions about the right size.

Rllink

Reaction score
I've decided that I need to work on being a little more creative in my strumming, so I have been watching a lot of videos. One in particular was a James Hill video. At the beginning he talked about the size of the uke. He suggested that for proper strumming one should play the size ukulele that will fit into the crook of their arm and that the strumming hand then naturally falls into the sweet spot. I had not thought of that, but it makes sense. I know that I do not have much trouble keeping my ukulele in place without a strap while I play and I took note and checked it out. Sure enough, the uke fits right in there and everything falls in the right place. At the cost of riling up the "gotta get yourself a strap crowd," maybe size does matter.

I am usually sat down when playing, so size doesn't matter all that much, & I've tried with straps, but it just doesn't work for me.

I believe the best place to strum is half way between the fret & saddle, giving equal lengths for the vibrations of the string to travel.
The 'sweet spot' is around the 12 fret for a reason, it is equidistant between nut & saddle.

If playing melodies, I tend to be near the sound hole when picking the strings as there is generally more room there.
I use most sizes, depending on how I feel it suits what I am trying to play, so no one size only for me. :)

I've read the same as Rliink about the crook of the arm placement and it does make sense. I think that partially helps explain why I much prefer the Fluke size over the Flea size. Seemingly similar but not in my hands (arms).

I agree with ubulele, that you must strum at different places on the length of the strings at different times. But, I think what James Hill says still stands. If your strumming finger is near the neck joint, (the sweet spot) when you hold the instrument in the most comfortable position, you're going to find holding and strumming easiest, even though you will surely move around.
Not to mention, I would never argue with James Hill. NEVER.

I find all ukes to be impossible to hold without a strap... but then I'm not a strummer. Easiest to hold for me would actually be tenor, which is hardest for me to play... but then I'm not James Hill :)

There's probably some wisdom in what he says, but as with everything - we're all different sizes and shapes, and some of our shapes just are not conducive to holding a wiggly uke in one place.

Then isn't it interesting that in so many videos James Hill is using a (gasp!) strap.
I have nothing against using a strap, and I use one often as well, especially if I'm going to be moving around a lot. A strap isn't just to hold the uke in place while you play it, it frees you up to turn pages, wave at people, move the microphone, make adjustments to the sound system, and drink a a beer without putting the uke down. But I don't have to have a strap to play my ukulele standing up, and I think what James Hill says has merit. Maybe not for everyone, there is always an excexception.

Last edited:
Top Bottom