Who do we represent?

I can only talk for myself. I started playing ukulele four years ago partly because it was a new experience after playing guitar for almost fifty years, and because I bought one as a wall hanger and then was informed of a ukulele play-along, since I had one I participated. Very shortly after I joined UU. I like posting on forums,

I like having a few interesting ukes, I like playing. I'm a member of a senior group that meets twice a week, which I joined specifically for that reason since I retired at the time and liked that it would fill my time. Of the fifty to sixty members, only two or three are interested in UU.

From the threads you find here, perhaps people here are a bit more gear freaks than the average ukulele player. That is one point where I think we differ from the average ukulele player. Reading this forum you get the idea that UAS is totally more normal than it probably is.
I think the reason for that is it's somehow easy and also rewarding to talk about the different instruments, everybody knows what's about. The playing thing and experience is a bit more abstract, and personal.

For me it's natural to have one uke and learn to handle it as good as possible. Feel a bit like an outsider in the gear discussions. But I enjoy the rest.

Last edited:
I think we represent ukulele players of all levels that want to either learn and/or share information about the ukulele.

-- Gary

As mentioned earlier, there is a diverse world of uke players, coming from different mindsets and perspectives.
But I like to think all have Aloha or eventually find Aloha as way of life.

To these apt statements I would add that we are also comfortable enough with technology to use this forum as a sounding board and place to share all things ukulele. Not everyone in the general population is as comfortable and so we find a significant ukulele population with those same characterizations but without access to forums like UU.

As a result, I see more "nuts and bolts" in our gear and music discussions than I do in face to face settings like jams and uke club meetings.

I just bumped into a gentleman at San Francisco Airport (SFO) on Thursday night, who saw me carrying my case, and asked if it was "a yookalaylee", to which I responded "Why yes!" I brought it over and showed it to him - he was playing a nice little Kala Concert size, and said he'd been playing only a couple of years. When I opened my case and took out the KoAloha Sceptre, he was amazed! Never had he seen anything like it, didn't know what size it was - he had heard of soprano and baritone, but didn't know what a tenor uke was, and didn't know his was a concert size. He also said he'd never seen a koa ukulele, that he knew of.

Oh, yeah... Did I mention that he had lived in Hilo his entire life, (mid-30s), got the Kala at Hilo Ukuleles, and had never heard reference to "K-brands"?

So there went another preconception out the window.

-Kurt​
I've had some similar experiences over the last year or so and that is what prompted me to start this thread. I've run into some very good ukulele players that don't seem to know much about ukuleles. When I mention UU to them, they are unaware that we are here. Then I tell them about us and I hope to see them in introductions but it doesn't happen. So I just thought that I would throw it out there and see what people had to say. But I'm not trying to be negative about UU. Most everything I know about ukuleles I've learned here, but it seems that one does not really need to know very much about ukuleles to play them. It is just interesting to me.

...Most everything I know about ukuleles I've learned here, but it seems that one does not really need to know very much about ukuleles to play them. It is just interesting to me.

:agree: Me too!

Maybe, in a Zen or existential kind of way - we 'represent' this exact moment in our journey, as the sum total of our experience, just as a 'vessel' of energy, basking in the glow of our own individual (as well as UU-collective) passion for the ukulele?

Choirguy made an excellent post that really sums it up. UU doesn't really represent the overall ukulele world. That world is just too immense. UU is the place to go to get and give information, that is not readily available. Whether it is a discussion on different ukes, or NUD's, or strings, or all sorts of technical info from setups and wood types to chord and song help, it is all here. I have learned so much from helpful and knowledgable people on UU that it is almost like a taking a major in college. In a nutshell we are a group that just wants more uke stuff.

That said, there are a number of forums that I participate. Whether it is biking, or surfing, golf, etc., they are all very similar. I will say that UU is probably the most civilized, but just like UU, there is so much information that can help make the activity more enjoyable. And like UU, none of those forums represent the overall populist of participants, they just represents those who want to give and get more information about a pastime.

John

Last edited:
:agree: Me too!

Maybe, in a Zen or existential kind of way - we 'represent' this exact moment in our journey, as the sum total of our experience, just as a 'vessel' of energy, basking in the glow of our own individual (as well as UU-collective) passion for the ukulele?

It sort-a makes sense when you bring Zen to bear.

If a ukulele plays in a crowd, does it make a sound?

I only ever post my own views, whether on here or on my own website, or on other social media. I despise cliques and groupthink. I actually see less of it on UU than I do anywhere else though.

Who do i represent? I represent me.

I mostly come here for Nickie's jokes.

I mostly come here for Nickie's jokes.

Haha Gammo, you get the last laugh today! I guess some folks actually do read my stuff. I think my nickname Ukulelegeek kinda sums it up. After almost 7 years at it, I'm still not a great player, but I've learned a lot, and now I sing.
I'm fairly involved, I'm a Board member of TBUS (Tampa Bay ukulele Society, 3rd largest uke club in the states).
When I was a hospice nurse, I was the ONLY Certified Music Clinician employed there.
I started the "Ladies of Uke", a band that was designed just for the purpose of playing in ALFs for the elderly.
I teach Library Lending Workshops (one later today) for adults, mainly beginners.
And if that's not enough, I just became an assistant to the teacher for our Ukulele Kids Summer Camps.
None of the members of TBUS (locally) are on UU. Some people that play way better than I play ukes like Kala, Lanakai, Cordoba, and would gasp if I told them I paid over 600 for my uke. I have recruited several people into the club, and some of them are now volunteers.
As long as I play the uke, I doubt if I'll ever give up UU. I feel like I have a leg up on most folks around here that don't bother coming here.
I figure if I ever have a time in my life when I couldn't leave my house, or my bed, I'd be here a lot more. The tabs, ideas, cyber friendships, and uke p*** are pretty darn cool.

Never was concerned about being a representative of any kind or considered as such in any way. UU is a great information-exchange forum for whomever wants to participate, actively or passively. Have learned a lot here and hopefully have contributed in some way as well.

That being said, if I were a ukulele industry marketeer (especially in the upscale market) , I'd pay attention to this forum. Within all of the infornation-sharing are gems on trends, styles, favorite woods, scales, accessories, etc..

Having read through this entire post, I can't remember what the original question was now! I joined the Forum when I got my first uke, basically because I wanted more information and guidance and this seemed the best place to come. After a hiatus of about three years, I actually got around to playing said uke. I have no idea how "representative" I am, or how "representative" we are as a group; I think we are just a disparate group of people brought together by a common interest. I have just found a lot of kind, like minded, helpful people here, who are always willing to offer advice. I must admit, I don't actually spend hours just trawling through the Forum, but do tend to follow posts made by friends who I follow. Most of my efforts tend to be concentrated on trying to PLAY the uke, rather than reading about it. I think I agree with Jon ... I represent myself!

"Most of my efforts tend to be concentrated on trying to PLAY the uke, rather than reading about it"

Limousin Lil,
I totally agree. However, when I was a hospice nurse, and not allowed to play at work, or it was just too late at night, UU was there for me to help me stay awake.
Today I feel I have officially caught a damn bug, and don't feel like playing, so reading UU is a great substitute!

Some of us probably do spend too much time online - but I came from computers, (my main hobby), so I guess I'm really cutting back on hacking my computers, whilst I'm here. :biglaugh:

Plus, believe it or not, uke isn't my only musical instrument - I've got to share out my free time between them - & they've all got forums. ;)

Top Bottom