Season 279 - Red rum (sort of)

Well I'll spend my third and last on the 3rd version of Elenor Rigby so far this week.
Terrific versions already done by Linda and Rob but I'll add mine the the wake anyway.

Last night I was working on Oh, Valencia by the Decemberists and couldn't quite get it right. I thought to myself. It's only Sunday. I have all week, and no one else is going to do this song, and what do I wake up to? TCK and Mrs. CK putting on a much better kitchen version than I could ever hope to do. :mad: I win though, Dave. I'm going to The American Library Association's conference this week, and guess who's going to be there because his wife is receiving a Caldecott honor? That's right, Colin Meloy, and he's going to an event I got invited to. So there.

Last edited:
Greetings,

:)

Just to lighten up the mood. I have a few ideas maybe.

Here is the first of my songs for this week. It comprises lyrics I wrote to a traditional Scots Gaelic Tune at Alasdair Fraser's Summer Camp (Crisol de Cuerda) in Sallent de Gallego (Spain ) in 2008.

It was inspired by the death from cancer of a close friend.

Here is my second entry. It is a translation of an original song in Catalan by the guitarist of my old band PERE FLIPAT.

It tells the true story of how he found his girlfriend dead in her flat from an overdose of heroin.

The original was our big ballad of the night. Candles or lighters held high, you have to imagine the "La la la" section at the end of my version as a superb melodic guitar solo backed with sax. :rolleyes: - or else click on the link to hear the original.

SOTU 279: Red rum - (sort of): I HUNG MY HEAD - Baritone Cover - D.D.

Welll, I'm learning all sorts of things this Season - mostly regarding remote recording and uploading! I am determined to get back in the saddle of SOTU participation and I hope I can get another 1 or 2 done for such a favorite theme.

Sting's song, "I Hung My Head" kills someone in the first verse and concludes with the death of the person telling the tale. Can it get any better than that? :)

Excuse the poorer quality as I learn the ropes on remote video publishing. I hope you enjoy it:

Argh! But you all are making it hard to stay away!! First 'Trees' I LOVE trees!!! I wanted to share this song from my favorite duo at this time...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcwT7HWFsS8 Check it out if you've got the time. NOW it's 'death'! Oh, Robin, you know I love a good sad song! Perhaps I could squeeze out a tune and you put words to it. Remember when I had words and no tune? Worked out great when you gave me a melody :) Miss you guys. There are too many reasons for my absence to go into.

♥J

Greetings,

Not sure you will count this, because she ain't dead yet. But the words "you're killing me" are in the song. Anyhow the song is called "You Ruin Me" by the Veronicas.

Ciao
Gina

I'll catch up later today. I've got some urgent work to attend to today.

I know I've done this before, but can't remember when. Tommy and I discussed it either here or on YT. It's by the great banjo pioneer of the 1920s Charlie Poole and his North Carolina Ramblers. Bill Monroe played it, too.

Top Bottom