Season 279 - Red rum (sort of)

I've just discovered that my next-door neighbour, who runs activities for disadvantaged children in the borough, knew personally at least 5 of the missing children. Others he helps were woken to the sound of bodies thudding to the ground outside their windows.

He's out there right now taking their friends on an awayday to help them deal with the trauma....

.... plus it now seems that many were killed by the release of hydrogen cyanide from the insulation boards in the burning cladding. Yep, the same stuff they used in Zyklon B.

That's disgraceful.

All credit to your friend for what he's doing.

I've just discovered that my next-door neighbour, who runs activities for disadvantaged children in the borough, knew personally at least 5 of the missing children. Others he helps were woken to the sound of bodies thudding to the ground outside their windows.

He's out there right now taking their friends on an awayday to help them deal with the trauma....

.... plus it now seems that many were killed by the release of hydrogen cyanide from the insulation boards in the burning cladding. Yep, the same stuff they used in Zyklon B.

Omg. Where have I been? I missed the news for a few days and just saw these posts so I checked into the web. This is a horror. So very sad and tragic. The compassion your friend is sharing is a true kindness.

Why, why why, Delilah!

This song should fit the theme:

Not the most charming murder ballad, but for this theme it kind of belongs on the list.

Introducing my basement ukulele corner and my first flourcarbon strings :)

Given that we are moving into the cross-over day, and most people have made their entries, is it appropriate to suggest songs that have not been done?
I am thinking about some Bob Marley, Nick Cave and Tom Waits songs that I am almost surprised not to have heard.

Interrupting your scheduled broadcast to say that season 280 is up, and it looks awesome. I'll try to catch up on your videos tonight. It's getting a bit hectic here.

This is my first song that I ever wrote, back in 1993, when I was a junior in high school. To my surprise, I had won a prize in the school talent show with this song, despite my high-pitched warbling and very primitive guitar picking. In honor of this Season, though, I just updated and revised the lyrics, since the original had some really corny verses with dreadful forced rhymes that I would've been embarrassed to post for the world to hear! :uhoh: So, here is "Infinity Road," the story of one unfortunate soul doomed to ride forever on his wild, red-eyed ghost horse. Hope you enjoy.

I've been riding this horse, seems like forever
Down the winding and dusty Infinity Road
He's as black as the night, such an unforgettable sight
For his eyes burn like fire, and his hooves flash pure gold.

He used to be a working horse in 1895
While I was just a common man just struggling to survive
The years and trials broke us as we tried to prove our worth
And I knew in death we'd never rest, we were doomed to roam the earth.

Chorus:
Infinity Road will be no stranger to me
I'll be riding it on till the end of history
Seeing death and wartime,
poverty and crime,
With nobody caring, just pretending they don't see

And some they branded outlaws, and some they hung them high
When I killed a man in self-defense, the judge thought that I lied
They laid me in my grave, and now I'm just a restless soul
I'll be riding the Infinite Road, I'll be paying eternity's toll

Chorus

I saw a light glow through the clouds above the dying pine
We crossed the railroad tracks and passed the city limits sign
As we thunder on, his red eyes glow, his gold hooves flail the air
Chasing memories of happy times that are no longer there.

Chorus

In this desolate, solemn, tangled woods this ghost horse gallops through
I know not where I'm going, where I'm ever heading to
Many a young legend can be heard along this track
Although i see and hear them there, I never can go back.

Chorus

I would like to point out that any environment-themed songs recorded for season 280 in the next 24 hours are welcome to be double-posted here if they also include a death...

Back in 2011, I had a student who was exceptionally bright, full of life and showed enormous potential. She was a native French speaker, but also spoke Spanish, Catalan and English fluently and had a working knowledge of a couple more languages. She was a challenging student in class, because she always had one more question in the post-class discussion phase. She was also a talented artist. I admired her greatly.

Sadly, I found out that her skinhead haircut was not a fashion statement, but the result of the chemotherapy she was receiving due to having been diagnosed with a virulent cancer. However, she remained incredibly upbeat about her illness and swore she would come out of the battle "scarred but triumphant". She continued to come to class until just a few days before she finally succumbed.

I was devastated: it all seemed so cruel. How could life have permitted the snuffing out of such amazing potential? I raged against the unfairness that so many nasty, life-negating people live on into old age and yet this wonderful warm intelligent human being had been taken from us so ridiculously young.

As part of my personal grief I wrote this song which I sung at the remembrance ceremony we held in the faculty soon after her death.

I fondly share it with you all in her memory.

Armance Julien.jpg
Armance Julien (1989 - 2011)

Here's a song about the Halifax Explosion. I don't love the chorus, so if you have any suggestions about how to edit it and take out the cliche...!

Robin,

Great theme, I saw one video pop up in my feed, and then while watching the fabulous "Wrecking Crew" documentary, I was reminded of this silly but epic Jan and Dean classic "Dead Man's Curve", which unsurprisingly doesn't end well.
I haven't been 'round in a while, as I've been directing my musical energies elsewhere, and life..I look forward to going through the playlist and checking out some of my old faves and some fresh faces!
https://youtu.be/AEt3W2bQG7w

Robyn, I was desperately hoping to do The Saga Begins by Weird Al for your week. Alas, all those lyrics and chords had me tongue tied and now the weekend family obligations have me hog tied. Great theme. Wish I could have made it!

Here's a beautiful song by the Clash, inspired by the disappearance of Errol Flynn's son, Sean Flynn, during the Vietnam War. The Clash's song is a haunting, meditative jam. Thanks, Robin, for a challenge that inspired me to try to adapt this one to uke.

Last edited:
Robyn, I was desperately hoping to do The Saga Begins by Weird Al for your week. Alas, all those lyrics and chords had me tongue tied and now the weekend family obligations have me hog tied. Great theme. Wish I could have made it!

No worries. I've found that the great thing about not quite getting songs up to scratch for a given season is that they are ready to do at the drop of a hat for a future season.

Well it looks like that's it folks. I've still got to catch up on a few videos and I'll do the wrap up later in the week after I've finished the project I'm working on. Thanks everyone.

OK. Caught up. Give me a few days to sort out prizes and wrap up video. I'll get there...

In the comments for my St James Infirmary video YorkSteve mentioned a book RedPaul lent him about the song. A few days later Paul came across the video and offered to send it on to me. It's arrived to day so I already feel like a winner from this Season. Thanks Robin for the opportunity to tick the song off my list and thanks Paul for lending me the book! Looking forward to getting stuck in!

2qu3uyo.jpg

Top Bottom