Season 279 - Red rum (sort of)

Greetings,

Well someone definitely dies in this beautiful song "Lightening Crashes" by Live. It is so pretty, so I did it on my soprano uke and not that dang electric thing. Hope it turned out okay.

Ciao

Argh! But you all are making it hard to stay away!! First 'Trees' I LOVE trees!!! I wanted to share this song from my favorite duo at this time...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcwT7HWFsS8 Check it out if you've got the time. NOW it's 'death'! Oh, Robin, you know I love a good sad song! Perhaps I could squeeze out a tune and you put words to it. Remember when I had words and no tune? Worked out great when you gave me a melody :) Miss you guys. There are too many reasons for my absence to go into.

♥J

I look forward to anything that you can contribute and wish you all the best.

REDRUM REDRUM REDRUM
I know of a deadly song. And a tree song. Tree season is over. But death season is on.

Tough week for me Robyn. I will try and get something in this week. I am sure someone will do the song Im planning to do but thats ok. I will do it anyway if time allows. Ive traveled home from the mountains to be here for my daughter that is going in for emergency surgery on her neck. She has struggled with lower back issues for years and has avoided going to a surgeon because she wanted to exhaust every other possibility before she would consider that. Its a blessing that she finally went in. They found that she has a disk in her neck that is dangerously close to leaving her paralyzed. All her pain is coming from some lower damaged disks and they will take care of that later. She is very lucky that this was found when it was. She has ignored hand numbness and remarkably that has been her only symptom. He has patients that have complete loss of bladder control and in wheel chairs with this same disk issue. She is going into surgery tomorrow. If all goes well I will bring a song or two.

Have fun everyone!

Tough week for me Robyn. I will try and get something in this week. I am sure someone will do the song Im planning to do but thats ok. I will do it anyway if time allows. Ive traveled home from the mountains to be here for my daughter that is going in for emergency surgery on her neck. She has struggled with lower back issues for years and has avoided going to a surgeon because she wanted to exhaust every other possibility before she would consider that. Its a blessing that she finally went in. They found that she has a disk in her neck that is dangerously close to leaving her paralyzed. All her pain is coming from some lower damaged disks and they will take care of that later. She is very lucky that this was found when it was. She has ignored hand numbness and remarkably that has been her only symptom. He has patients that have complete loss of bladder control and in wheel chairs with this same disk issue. She is going into surgery tomorrow. If all goes well I will bring a song or two.

Have fun everyone!

All the best to your daughter and I hope she gets a positive outcome.

Have fun everyone!

All the best Linda! Awful way to end some time off.

Terrible ideas are often the best :)

Hmmm. This particular one may be a stretch but if the song limit were to be raised it might happen....

Anyway, here's one I had absolutely no plans to do this week until about 10 minutes before I recorded it. It's by a band called GROUPLOVE, a bunch of hippie millenials who met on a backpacking trip in Greece and decided to start a band. They've gone on to be a moderately successful indie pop group but for me nothing they've done has topped the five-song EP they put out in 2011 or 2012. My wife and I were listening to a random Spotify playlist last night and one of their bigger hits came on and it instantly reminded me of this song, the single from that EP that got me hooked on them.

I had a quick run through before bed with the intention of recording it today, but as I got in bed my mind went "it's only a two chord song, you got this mate. Everyone else is in bed, go do it!". So I did.

[FONT=&quot]Many people think that this is a Merikin folk song, but it has its origins in the bars of Glasgow Scotland.
The original song was called Slasher Brown and Wee Bigsby, and the murder weapon was a golf club
(possibly stolen from Saint Andrews) instead of a colt 44. The song was taken to Merika by sailors who
travelled to New Orleans and was adopted as a barrelhouse blues.

[/FONT]

One murder, and three suspects, it seems...from the Cowboy Junkies

Oh, yeah, NUD, too!

Last edited:
That isn't a CLARA, is it????

Yes, sure is. It arrived this morning. I'm having a little trouble getting used to the low G, I like the sound, but my rudimentary recording techniques mean it sounds a bit boomy. I don't want to give the low G away yet, but I May just try a high G tomorrow to see what the difference is.

I think this is more of a metaphorical than a literal death Robin, but I hope it fits in any case. This is a song written by Ray Davies' younger brother Dave, although Ray did apparently contribute as well.....

Ps, I got the first line slightly wrong I know, don't shoot me ok :cool:

Yes, sure is. It arrived this morning. I'm having a little trouble getting used to the low G, I like the sound, but my rudimentary recording techniques mean it sounds a bit boomy. I don't want to give the low G away yet, but I May just try a high G tomorrow to see what the difference is.

I've been fiddling with different low G strings on my tenor a little bit, and the least boomy one I've found so far is the Aquila Red. Hope that helps. What have you got on it at the moment?

I've been fiddling with different low G strings on my tenor a little bit, and the least boomy one I've found so far is the Aquila Red. Hope that helps. What have you got on it at the moment?

Russ! I am SO jealous! This would be my dream ukulele. I should love to know how you get on with it and your first impressions! (I LOVE low Gs!)

I replied under the wrong quote! I am EXCEEDINGLY jealous ... this is the uke of my dreams! Please let me know what you think of it.

I'm guessing from the Blackbird website, that the supplied strings are Oasis Fluorocarbon Bright strings which have a wound low G string. I like the sound OK, it's just my recording equipment, basically a Videomic ME into an android phone seems to over highlight the low G. I have a set of high G PhD strings here which I am tempted to try.

I did try an Aquila Red string on my 6 string uke, but it snapped before I could get it in tune, and then it happened again, so I went off them a bit.

I replied under the wrong quote! I am EXCEEDINGLY jealous ... this is the uke of my dreams! Please let me know what you think of it.

I was very keen to get one after Bazmaz's review on Ukulele Hunt. After 10 hours I am very happy with it. I bought it from HMS in Hawaii because they were a little cheaper and quicker than the Blackbird site. it did turn out to be quite a bit dearer than I originally intended because of the import duty into Australia, and the exchange rate - I didn't do my homework. however, now I have it, I am a happy chappy.

I'm guessing from the Blackbird website, that the supplied strings are Oasis Fluorocarbon Bright strings which have a wound low G string. I like the sound OK, it's just my recording equipment, basically a Videomic ME into an android phone seems to over highlight the low G. I have a set of high G PhD strings here which I am tempted to try.

I did try an Aquila Red string on my 6 string uke, but it snapped before I could get it in tune, and then it happened again, so I went off them a bit.

I've heard that happens a lot, which is why I was really wary of them at first. Never happened to me though, so I suppose I've been lucky.

Top Bottom