Season 279 - Red rum (sort of)

SOTU: 279 RED rum (sort of): MARIE LAVEAU Baritone Ukulele Cover - D.D.

Sorry to say: Old Handsome Jack's plans don't turn out as he expected in "Marie Laveau."

Yes, sure is. It arrived this morning. I'm having a little trouble getting used to the low G, I like the sound, but my rudimentary recording techniques mean it sounds a bit boomy. I don't want to give the low G away yet, but I May just try a high G tomorrow to see what the difference is.

It sounded good to me! Maybe the "boom" varies depending on whether it gets here via the Atlantic or Pacific. ... or, perhaps, my old hearing.
I have had success with tying a short piece of yarn around a string at the bridge. The farther you move the yarn away from the saddle, the more of a muting effect; & you don't (I don't) really want a lot of sustain on "bass" strings. A different tuning is another solution; different strings, as you mentioned ( I like Aquila Red low G or Fremont soloist wound); different attack, or strum.
I know you'll enjoy it, whichever works!
-- Dick

Yes, sure is. It arrived this morning. I'm having a little trouble getting used to the low G, I like the sound, but my rudimentary recording techniques mean it sounds a bit boomy. I don't want to give the low G away yet, but I May just try a high G tomorrow to see what the difference is.

I can't live without low G on my ukes, all have it except for my sopranino, and I'm even tempted with it. It just fits my style of playing, which harkens back my bass playing days. The runs I like to do just don't work on high G. The Fremont soloist has become by favorite low G.

I've found that we don't hear our instruments as others do. When I had my Tenor Fluke tuned dGBE, I thought the G string sounded boomy but others were saying how they liked the sound. I've since restrung my Fluke and retuned it to FBbDG. Mainly because since I got the baritone I felt one tenor in dGBE was enough and I've left my Brüko tenor in dGBE as I like the sound of the Brüko in that tuning.

As to low G, I find it works well with some songs and not so well with others. I mostly play my low G (and my baritone in low D) when I want a finger picked accompaniment as the low G works as the bass of the accompaniment. For strumming I generally prefer re-entrant tuned ukes and that’s what I've been moving much more towards recently.

Meantime, first song for S279 uploaded. Barbara Allen is one of the most popular of the Child Ballads and has been collected over 100 times in many variants and with numerous different melodies. (though the basic story remains constant). It dates from the mid 17th century possibly from the English Restoration stage and Samuel Pepys, in his diary refers to hearing it sung a by famous singer of the time.

My third submission of the week is ironically simply titled "Three". It's not a murder balled, nor is it requested in my house. It's obscure, but in my opinion for sad, morbid, and macabre, it ranks high. Since this is the third from me, that's it for the week unless the limit gets raised.

I can't live without low G on my ukes, all have it except for my sopranino, and I'm even tempted with it. It just fits my style of playing, which harkens back my bass playing days. The runs I like to do just don't work on high G. The Fremont soloist has become by favorite low G.

Yeah, to me the walk-ups and walk-downs sound a lot better with a low G.

could be for 278 trees and 279 death.Famously recorded by Billie Holliday from a poem by white high school teacher Abel Meeropol about racist lynchings

Tough week for me Robyn. I will try and get something in this week. I am sure someone will do the song Im planning to do but thats ok. I will do it anyway if time allows. Ive traveled home from the mountains to be here for my daughter that is going in for emergency surgery on her neck. She has struggled with lower back issues for years and has avoided going to a surgeon because she wanted to exhaust every other possibility before she would consider that. Its a blessing that she finally went in. They found that she has a disk in her neck that is dangerously close to leaving her paralyzed. All her pain is coming from some lower damaged disks and they will take care of that later. She is very lucky that this was found when it was. She has ignored hand numbness and remarkably that has been her only symptom. He has patients that have complete loss of bladder control and in wheel chairs with this same disk issue. She is going into surgery tomorrow. If all goes well I will bring a song or two.

Have fun everyone!

Eeek! Love to you all!

I think I've caught up now. Great job so far guys. I get the feeling that this season has been a lot more popular than my last one.

[SUP]Inspired in part by Irish artist Evie Hone's stained glass window "My Four Green Fields", 1939 this song The song is about Ireland (personified as an “old woman”) and its four provinces.​[/SUP]

Well Queens of the Stone Age were requested, and here they are. This is off their most recent album, (although they've got a new one out in August, yippee!) and basically addresses why there was such a big gap between the previous album and that one. Basically, a couple of years before the song was written, Josh Homme had a near-death experience, fell into a coma and spent the following 8 months bedridden and deeply depressed. The official story at the time was that it had been a car or motorbike accident but the reality was he was in for surgery and there were massive complications.

Anyway, he wrote this song as he contemplated the big "what if", what if he had died on the operating table, would his wife miss him? Still love him? Even remember him. So while the song never explicitly mentions death, it's woven right into it. Hope it's acceptable because a 6 minute song that's mostly Barre chords is a pain in the area to play!

Surgery was a success. Thanks to all that left messages and kind words in Jessie's behalf. I appreciate this group :)

Top Bottom