Season 279 - Red rum (sort of)

No problem.

Thanks. Just trying to catch up now before I make a coffee and get back to work. Translating a website and struggling to keep my eyes open. Boring stuff.

So...a couple things that will have to be excused. First. It is 90 degrees at 10 pm here in normally pleasant Cloverdale, so you are getting this with ceiling fan accompaniment AND no clothes other than boxer shorts. Lucky you. Second, there are lots of F-Bombs in this song.
So, old punk rocker in his drawers playing punk rock on an ukulele?
You're all welcome. ;)

If metaphorical deaths count then dream killings must too, right? More Wilco-y goodness.

And for some reason it makes me feel a little better that TCK is also roasting in NorCal, though we're only 87 in the East Bay. Of course, Linda's laughing at us both from AZ.

Last edited:
If metaphorical deaths count then dream killings must too, right? More Wilco-y goodness.

And for some reason it makes me feel a little better that TCK is also roasting in NorCal, though we're only 87 in the East Bay. Of course, Linda's laughing at us both from AZ.

I'm jealous of both of you. It was freezing here last night.

So pleased all is well, Linda. X (Sorry, Robin .. I probably shouldn't have posted this here!)
Tsk tsk! Off to the naughty step for you Val! ;)

Right, so here is my third and final. I wasn't going to do a third but Rustyy's song about Benjamin McCulloch and that period in American history led me back to this one, it fits with the theme too. It's a song by Jane Bowers, and it's been covered by various greats (Willie Nelson's is my favourite of those I've heard), but this is the version I heard first and I've always loved it. The lyrics are changed a little in Donovan's version. I won't give a history lesson, certainly not to our American cousins anyway :D. There's plenty enough resources, in print or online, about the Battle of the Alamo. I'll just give you the song and you can make your own minds up.

Last time I looked, I didn't see that anyone had done this one. I'm a terrible whistler, by the way. The worst. I'm not sure why I tried it here. It was just kind an in the moment decision. 😂

Here's one from Harry Nilsson. I added a marimba because it's such a happy sound!

Here is an old folk song that I'm a little surprised hasn't already been posted. It's been covered by an amazing number of performers over the years including Joan Baez, Johnny Cash, the Carter Family, Arlo Guthrie, New Lost City Ramblers, Dolly Parton, and Olivia Newton John. This is literally STEEPED in murder to the extent that some folks in my uke group refuse to play it. I personally like it, I'm playing my home made walnut tenor and the harmony comes from my TC Helicon Harmony G-XT. Banks Of The Ohio.

Ok gang!

Ive spent the whole morning going through the playlist and the rest of the songs delivered here this week. I am shocked and surprised at how few views so many songs have gotten. They deserve the views. This is typical of the summer time. Vacations, heat waves, kids home from school......Im giving you all way too many excuses to not take some time to go and have a listen.

I need to apologize to Lumpy Wafflesquirt for saying that Tom Dooley hadn't been done yet. He did bring the Kingston Trio version early in the week and it was terrific.

I have thrown the other song I was considering back to Randy who may or may not try and get it here one way or another.

Here is Tom Dooley once more in a minor keyed version.

So pleased all is well, Linda. X (Sorry, Robin .. I probably shouldn't have posted this here!)

I just wanted to thank everyone again for these sweet comments in my daughters behalf.

I posted a song on the island dedicated to all of you to thank you all for caring so much. Here is my special wish for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSO7a5D_LyY :)

Last edited:
Hi Robin! Please excuse me for butting in, but I just wanted to let everyone know that the wrap for Season 278 is now available. Phew! I can now sit back and enjoy the rest of your week and all the songs I haven't had a chance to listen to yet. (Thank you for the "air space".)

I know I've done this before, but can't remember when. Tommy and I discussed it either here or on YT. It's by the great banjo pioneer of the 1920s Charlie Poole and his North Carolina Ramblers. Bill Monroe played it, too.

Charlie Poole also recorded one of the first known songs about Pearl Bryan, whose lover killed her because she had become pregnant with his child.
http://www.planetslade.com/pearl-bryan-04-03.html

So, Ollie wanted to play some more punk rock for you...but this one is special. It is by the Jim Carrol Band, and it is from a time when you had to dig to find punk rock, before it was easily accessible at the mall. In any event, Jim had all the trimmings be exactly what the world around him wanted to be, and then found heroin and went off the rails. While off said rails, he wrote this song that I have always loved...in spite of how dark it is.
I really do hope it is already here. If not, I hope it is played again. I did it in season 100...but we are bound to get a repeat every now and then,
And honestly...I am going to make sure everybody dies in this one.
Great season and theme- this is three for me so I am off to the island.
Parting with 6 minutes of an old guy playing punk rock on the ukulele...because the world needs that

My City Of Ruins

I live less than 2 miles from Grenfell Tower, and, proud as I am of my community, I'm as mad as hell.

Last edited:
Since we're on the topic of weather, they are predicting snow down to 400m tonight and I just realised that all our firewood is down the hill. And is just started raining again... I'll get back to watching videos when I can.

Top Bottom