Elderly music physical store

Piecomics

Reaction score
Hi all, I am going to the elderly music store in a few days. I don't have long, maybe an hour and want to make the most of it. Any advice?

Thanks!
Ben

Do you plan to do some uke shopping? Enjoy your opportunity!

First, why are you going to Elderly? To browse the inventory? To play fantastic ukuleles? To BUY a fantastic ukulele?

If you're going there to play, check the website and identify the "must plays". Don't blame me if afterwards you have to file for divorce and sell all your belongings.

If you're going there to buy, limit your sample size by setting a budget range and a few additional criteria that address your own concerns (research these criteria carefully if you haven't already...it's best to be informed). Give each uke that fits your criteria a pick and strum to find the few that seem to "speak" to you. Be discriminating in this process. Briefly demo those few that speak to you (be especially sure to check intonation up the neck), then select your 2 or 3 favorites. A/B them for a while. If one stands out, play it for the remainder of your time before making your decision.

Of course, there's always the chance you'll be sucked into the vortex that is Elderly Instruments' show room and never be heard from again except for the sounds of your ukulele plaintively plucking away in the distance. Good luck limiting your visit to an hour!

Last edited:
Terribly jealous! I've been to some of the great music stores in the US: Gryphon, Sylvan, Gruhn, McCabe's, Mandolin Brothers (in its heyday), but never to Elderly, even though I've bought a dozen instruments from them. Have a great time!

Wow.
You are so lucky.
That is truly the ukulele Mecca.

According to Elderly Instruments' website, "All new musical instruments that are received by Elderly Instruments for sale to our customers are inspected and setup for great playability by our Repair Shop personnel. If there is some problem with the instrument, we either fix the problem or send the instrument back to the supplier" (https://www.elderly.com/repair/setups.html/).

They've been selling ukes for several years now and have an excellent overall reputation for customer service. Additionally, the owner Stan Werbin used to record on the ukulele and is a big admirer of the instrument.

Last edited:
According to Elderly Instruments' website, "All new musical instruments that are received by Elderly Instruments for sale to our customers are inspected and setup for great playability by our Repair Shop personnel. If there is some problem with the instrument, we either fix the problem or send the instrument back to the supplier" (https://www.elderly.com/repair/setups.html/).

They've been selling ukes for several years now and have an excellent overall reputation for customer service. Additionally, Stan Werbin used to record on the ukulele and is a big admirer of the instrument.

Then I shall buy from them next!!

@brimmer - too funny, those are the same two I was going to recommend. I'll add in the Takumi (I have a 3C in Honduran mahogany and love it):

https://www.elderly.com/instruments/ukuleles/takumi-tc-1m-mahogany-concert-ukulele.htm

Eddie, I didn't see that Takumi. I would have my hands on that one too. And maybe that Jeff Menzies minstrel banjo, just because it looks cool. When I lived in Ann Arbor, I got up to Lansing several times a year, just to visit Elderly...

When I lived in Mt. Pleasant, I'd go down to Lansing quite often for Elderly too! Man do I ever miss it, especially now that I've been living on the opposite side of the globe.

Saying you only have an hour for Elderly is like saying you only have 1 minute for sex with the partner of your dreams. Try to get more time.

1. Forget about the one hour thing. Make it a day.
2. Pack a lunch.
3. Head straight for the ukulele section.
4. Make some new friends.
5. Play as many ukes as they will let you.
6. Buy the one you love the mostest.
7. As SOON as you get home, post here about the visit.

I envy you too. I've bought a lotta stuff from them (mostly banjo stuff). I sure would like to browse there awhile.

I watch them on Face Book too -- good stuff. :eek:ld:

So, it was a great trip! I tried everything and learned some valuable lessons. I am highly partial to Japanese instruments, I prefer pre 1950s Gibson to martins, and the only K brand I really cared for was the perfect kanilea baritone.

Sub 600$ the standout was a kala cedar baritone. Clumsy compared with the kanilea but nice note distinction and sustain. I did not care for the firefly banjo uke or the konablaster baritone.

6-1500$ kiwaya concert strummer was phenomenal. My current goto uke is a laminate kiwaya, and these Ukes bring it to another level. I preferred the mahogany to the koa. Though these are supposed to be for drumming they sounded great played fingerstyle and the higher action facilitated nice volume for clawhammer... there were no other ukes in this category that wowed me, and many disappointments. Kamaka were fine, same with a Romero grand tenor. Quieter than I would have liked.

$1500+ a lot of nice instruments, my favorites were the Takumi and the Kiwaya. UkuleleEddie, I don't share your love of bling but I do share your taste in ukes otherwise, clearly. These along with the kanilea bari were outstanding. I can barely afford a sub$600 instrument at this time but clearly this is my target set of instruments, and I will be saving up for one of these, or a black label from koaloha (sp?) in a few years...
Also, they had a great selection of books, picked up a Daniel ho book 50% off!

So, it was a great trip! I tried everything and learned some valuable lessons. I am highly partial to Japanese instruments, I prefer pre 1950s Gibson to martins, and the only K brand I really cared for was the perfect kanilea baritone.

Sub 600$ the standout was a kala cedar baritone. Clumsy compared with the kanilea but nice note distinction and sustain. I did not care for the firefly banjo uke or the konablaster baritone.

6-1500$ kiwaya concert strummer was phenomenal. My current goto uke is a laminate kiwaya, and these Ukes bring it to another level. I preferred the mahogany to the koa. Though these are supposed to be for drumming they sounded great played fingerstyle and the higher action facilitated nice volume for clawhammer... there were no other ukes in this category that wowed me, and many disappointments. Kamaka were fine, same with a Romero grand tenor. Quieter than I would have liked.

$1500+ a lot of nice instruments, my favorites were the Takumi and the Kiwaya. UkuleleEddie, I don't share your love of bling but I do share your taste in ukes otherwise, clearly. These along with the kanilea bari were outstanding. I can barely afford a sub$600 instrument at this time but clearly this is my target set of instruments, and I will be saving up for one of these, or a black label from koaloha (sp?) in a few years...
Also, they had a great selection of books, picked up a Daniel ho book 50% off!

Sounds like you had yourself a great time. Thanks for the reviews and impressions of the ukes you got to play. I will have to make a road trip to Elderly one day.

Have done business with Elderly several times and always pleased. Hope to get there one of these days.

PBS did a one-hour special on Elderly a while back - Elderly Instruments, All Things Strings. It was a great dhow, well worth watching if one can get the local PBS to rerun it.

Did they have any other Kiwaya concerts besides the strummers? I've been sort of put off by the name, as a person who picks and strums, and wary of the price being less than the KTC line. Were you able to compare them? I would order one in a minute if I thought they were equivalent to the KTCs, but at the price, I thought they must be inferior.

How would you compare the Takumi concert to the Kiwaya concerts? In terms of playability and sound? How about to the Kiwaya KMS-K? Did they have any Kiwaya or Takumi that aren't listed on the site that you could compare them to--and tell me about? Do you think Takumi is a step up from Kiwaya or sideways?

How did you like the sound of the Kiwaya KMS-K?

Did you prefer Kiwaya to Kamaka or Koaloha?

Thank you!

My experience with Elderly have been hit and miss. I hope your visit is a hit.

Top Bottom