FSOT: David Gill Concert Pineapple Cedar

Fire lantern

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a D.S. Gill concert pineapple cedar from 2011. It's a lovely uke, but doesn't get played as much as it should. It has a nice, warm sound typical of cedar. Strung with living water strings. Comes with a Uke Crazy case. Only a couple hundred of David's ukes out there, so this is pretty special. The cedar is soft (it's cedar), so there are some small dings and surface scratches I tried to capture in the photos, but they're pretty hard to see. Two bigger issues: when I bought the uke, the centre spike? on the headstock was a bit squished (see pic). Also, there is a small crack on the soundboard. I tried to capture this in the photo, but you can only see it if you put pressure on the board, which I obviously avoid, and doesn't affect the sound. I took it to my local luthier and he suggested I leave it as is.

I'm open to offers for both sale and trade. Looking for either concert or tenor. Located in Canada, but happy to ship anywhere.

Thanks!

20170618_130158-resized-1024.jpg20170618_130207-resized-1024.jpg20170618_130216-resized-1024.jpg20170618_130222-resized-1024.jpg20170618_130228-resized-1024.jpg

Back and sides are also cedar? That's pretty unusual in itself isn't it?

Correct, cedar back and sides as well. Definitely pretty unique and you get that nice aromatic cedar chest smell every time you open the case or smell inside.

Hello Fire lantern, what did you pay for this Ukulele ? It would help to know this in order to make an appropriate offer or trade.

Sure thing, it was either $300 or $350 (can't remember, it was a few years ago now) and the case was another $40 or so.

EDIT: It was $350

Last edited:
I should also mention that I'm most interested in trade rather than sale (+/- $$ depending).

Just to throw out a few options I'd be interested in (ideally concert, but I'm flexible):
KoAloha Opio
Big Island traditional
Vintage Kamaka
Pono Acacia or Mango

Last edited:
I have a D.S. Gill of this version with spruce/mahogany. It is a great uke! Nice comfortable neck, low strings, inotation is spot on.

David made some great sounding ukes. They were very well built but simple in design and nicely finished. If this was a tenor I would have already bought it.

I shot ya a message

I haven't been on the forum for a while, but this is indeed still available...

Still available, asking $300 USD, which includes shipping from Canada to US/Canada. Thanks!

Top Bottom