A Fluorocarbon is a Fluorocarbon is a Fluorocarbon...

JJFN

Reaction score
I need help from all the techies and luthiers on the Forum. After reading up on fluorocarbon, is there any difference in a 0.030 fluorocarbon string, whomever the manufacturer? Put another way, all things being equal, will a set of ABC's fluorocarbon strings on a particular ukulele sound the same as XYZ's fluorocarbon strings? I've tried to research this and couldn't find an answer. The only differences I could find were the color, and I don't see that effecting the sound.

My experience say NO......I can't back it with proof but I find different manufacturers Flurocarbon to sound different on same Uke. I would think it's the formula but also the thickness. Thinner is brighter.

No a florcarbon is not a florocarbon is not a florocarbon. Florocarbon is the base element but different binders and fillers are used depending on the manufacture. Different florocarbon strings sound different, some a little some a lot. Depends which strings you are comparing against each other

That being said a Martin and a Worth and an Oasis are so close to each other you could install the .030" string from any of them and be ok.

Last edited:
That being said a Martin and a Worth and an Oasis are so close to each other you could install the .030" string from any of them and be ok.

I disagree...I replaced the Martins on my C1K with Worth clears and immediately switched back to Martins, they just sounded better! But, I like Worth browns on other instruments. Living Water are my fav' on my Kanile'a, tried Martins and browns...

Fluorocarbon is a class of chemical compounds. The actual chemical composition can vary, so all strings of a given diameter aren't necessarily the same composition or density. In my experience, there are differences in sound.

I disagree...I replaced the Martins on my C1K with Worth clears and immediately switched back to Martins, they just sounded better!

I had the same experience on my Kamaka, with both Worth Clears and Oasis (both bright and warm). The Worths just sounded dull, and while the Oasis bright sounded pretty good, the Oasis warm sounded terrible, and both Oasis strings felt very sticky to the touch, very resistant to quick movement. Martins all the way for me!

I think DownUpDave is talking about swapping individual strings of the same gauge while other people are talking about the difference between complete sets.

Edit: I would suggest that it's worth bearing in mind that not everyone who sells fluorocarbons strings actually makes fluorocarbon strings.

Last edited:
I disagree...I replaced the Martins on my C1K with Worth clears and immediately switched back to Martins, they just sounded better! But, I like Worth browns on other instruments. Living Water are my fav' on my Kanile'a, tried Martins and browns...

I DID say they were different in sound in the first part of my post. I was referring to swapping out just one string because the OP mentioned just ONE string

Last edited:
I have been using 2 flatwound bass strings on my baritone and tenor ukes, which are tuned in fifths (the latter of which came with fluoro trebles). I've never been happy with having wound 3rd strings on either instrument, because when I play upstrokes on them, my index finger makes a bothersome harsh noise as the windings meet my fingerprint whorls, a sound which is absent when the same digit encounters a non-wound string. Since I play the 4th stings with my much fleshier thumb, that's a non issue there. But ever since watching Vic's review of the Living Water baritone low D set, I've been obsessed with using a "low D" fluorocarbon string - for my 3rd string, in this case, and possibly also for the 4th string on my tenor (tuned C below middle C). It sounded like just the answer for my particular baritone woe, but due to my unorthodox tuning, I didn't want to spring for entire string sets, knowing some of them would be wasted. I then couldn't help but notice that Seaguar makes a Premier 130lb leader of the same specs as that LW string, so I took a gamble and bought 25 yards of it. Installed it for the first time on the baritone, and just wow - I'm so happy with the result! No more finger noise, just a pure tone, and it blends well with the Thomastik .045 4th string. Success! I will try the Seaguar for the tenor 4th soon, and if I like it there, I'll want to get something in suitable gauge fluoro to replace the 3rd as well. But now I'm more than stocked for life on low baritone D strings, and possibly on C strings for my tenor, also. I don't mind the cost, as I've spent way more for viola strings...

bratsche

Over the years I have played 3 different grades of Seaguar; also a different manufacturer. Even between the Seaguar grades there are differences, and as noted above, I find Seaguar Premier to be the best. Like bratsche, these days I only selective use leader along with ukulele string sets.

The other fluorocarbon brand was totally, tonally, different.

Just look at Worth, there are Worth Clear and Browns and they are quite different.

John

It looks like this is a poll.
My experience: I've tried Matrin, GHS, Di'Addario, Oasis (warm), and Worth (clear and brown). Can't remember any others that were specified as florocarbon, but maybe another one or two. No difference whatsoever. They sound and feel the same to me.
The Oasis warm and bright may be different from each other, but that's due to diameters.
All that being said, I like florocarbons and have them on all my ukuleles. I thought about going with fishing line, but I did the math. Buying a roll of the four sizes I wanted, I'd have enough to last me to my 136th birthday.

It looks like this is a poll.
My experience: I've tried Matrin, GHS, Di'Addario, Oasis (warm), and Worth (clear and brown). Can't remember any others that were specified as florocarbon, but maybe another one or two. No difference whatsoever. They sound and feel the same to me.
The Oasis warm and bright may be different from each other, but that's due to diameters.
All that being said, I like florocarbons and have them on all my ukuleles. I thought about going with fishing line, but I did the math. Buying a roll of the four sizes I wanted, I'd have enough to last me to my 136th birthday.

Sounds like a good investment!

well guys,
the fluorocarbon is actually PVDF, that is its proper therm.
The pellet (raw material) is available in two different 'models' that, however, has the same density (1,78 gr/cm3 about) : one is called 'homopolymer'; the other one is called 'copolymer'.
Normally for the fishing lines (ukulele strings...) they uses the homopolymer. The behaviours of the final string can be changed changing the stratching- ratio that always is done to obtain a monofilament. More the stretch, more the tensile stress but more the fragility of the monofilament when one try to bent it. It is also less stretchly.

In some cases, there are a few of ingredients that are added to the pellet during the extrusion but always in a very small percentage.
Normally the colour do not afect the behaviours of the monofilaments (i.e. the strings). In short it is possible to have some differences in the final sound, but these differences are caused by different elasticities and not from the density of the polymer because it is aways the same. I hope that this can help
Ciao
Mimmo

Last edited:
That helps very much, thanks Mimmo. As a note I got both your Reds and the Carbon black in a little while back. I tested them on a Mya Moe baritone and as you said they sound very similar. The Reds were maybe a little brighter but not much. Both are very good strings.

Mimmo,

What fluorocarbon strings are sold by Aquila? I am mostly familiar with the Super Nylgut and KIDS strings. Most of my personal ukuleles are using Martin fluorocarbons...does Aquila make something of the same type that would be worth trying?

And would there ever be a chance to get fluorocarbons in a color...like the KIDS strings? I realize the color wouldn't be vibrant like the KIDS (it would be a translucent color)...but it might be good to have an option with fluorocarbon as well.

That is good to know. I thought I had missed a fluorocarbon offering in the Aquila catalog! Thank you again for all that you (and Aquila) do for the string instrument world!

Top Bottom