Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin voicing on ukulele?

Default Mandolin voicing on ukulele?

Hi all. I was at a ukulele workshop over the weekend, and one of the things demoed was mandolin voicing. This article covers it, for example: https://liveukulele.com/chords/mando...e-open-chords/

Three chords we were shown were:
    0087 -- C
    0058 -- Fadd9
    0037 -- C

I love the sound of the 0087 and 0058 C and Fadd9, and I'm wondering where I can find more chords with the open first two strings. Is there a G floating around somewhere there, for example?

Just off the top of my head.

0088 Csus4
    0068 C7sus4
    0035 Gsus4
    0077 CMaj7

There must plenty more.

If you want a G then 0275 would be a similar voicing but probably a bit of a stretch.

Thank you for the information, Dibblet and ukulele! I look forward to playing around with those.

For a full 2-octave G, try: 0-2-7-10. Not the easiest fingering, but oh-so-satisfying!

Some other G chords:

0578 (G7)
    0-11-10-10 (G)
    Last edited by bacchettadavid; 06-19-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

I spent a couple hours early this morning working on these open voicings, and I've come to a few realizations:

1. One reliable means of creating these chords is to fret each string as if playing the same chord in different positions on the neck simultaneously (this is how I came upon 0-2-7-10).
    2. So long as you are careful about which scalar degree you're gaining and which degree you're sacrificing, another reliable way to open up the voicing is to fret the A string 3 frets higher than the C string (to create the octave interval). For example, 0215 would be G7 but lacks the third scalar degree, so it becomes a G7sus/D. Chord substitution techniques usually offer workarounds in most keys.
    3. Working around the ukuleles limitations and discovering these chords is a great way to deepen your knowledge of the ukulele fretboard and harmonic progressions as they apply to the uke.

And 4. Low G would make this *so* much easier!
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

Thank you very much for taking the time to work on these, and then sharing your information with us! I'm a relative newcomer to the instrument, and I am very interested in learning to progress beyond the first three frets. Your info is quite helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by jisa View Post
    I'm a relative newcomer to the instrument, and I am very interested in learning to progress beyond the first three frets.
    In that case, I suggest you take a root-centric view of your chord shapes and then learn (roughly in order of utility):
    • The same-note-name pattern (I call it the "zigzag").
    • Chord shape derivations, using the four main movable 7th shapes as templates. Who needs steenking chord charts when figuring out chord shapes directly on the fretboard, in any region, is so easy?
    • The fourths/fifths pattern, essentially, the "circle of fifths" mapped directly to the fretboard.
    • Relative root clusters or the closely related CAGFD system.
    • Cross-fretboard intervals.

Although these things may sound complex, they actually simplify a lot of things because they unify all the piecemeal rote knowledge (and avoid the necessity of having to learn masses of other stuff by rote while keeping it all straight)I love generalized, easy-to-visualize patterns for their clarity and work reduction. The relative view underlying these patterns also better accords with how we really make sense of music subconsciously, so it's a huge aid in ear training and replicating things in any key, any fretboard position, any fleas tuning you choose. I wish I'd been taught these patterns at the very beginning, when I was just embarking on chord shapes and the main chords in the most common keys.

A good resource for playing up the neck is Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps by Fred Sokolow and Jim Beloff. I've heard there's an even better guide now, but I've never read it and I don't recall its name or author, sorry.

I second Ubulele's advice. I'm remediating my own grasp of those fundamentals, and looking back, I wish I'd put in the work to learn the basics back when I started.

Thank you for the suggestion-I am getting that book from my local library!

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post

A good resource for playing up the neck is Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps by Fred Sokolow and Jim Beloff. I've heard there's an even better guide now, but I've never read it and I don't recall its name or author, sorry.
    Perhaps you are thinking of Bordessa's Ukulele Chord Shapes?

Thread Information