Mandolin voicing on ukulele?

jisa

Reaction score
Hi all. I was at a ukulele workshop over the weekend, and one of the things demoed was mandolin voicing. This article covers it, for example: https://liveukulele.com/chords/mandolin-style-open-chords/

Three chords we were shown were:
0087 -- C
0058 -- Fadd9
0037 -- C

I love the sound of the 0087 and 0058 C and Fadd9, and I'm wondering where I can find more chords with the open first two strings. Is there a G floating around somewhere there, for example?

Just off the top of my head.

0088 Csus4
0068 C7sus4
0035 Gsus4
0077 CMaj7

There must plenty more.

If you want a G then 0275 would be a similar voicing but probably a bit of a stretch.

Thank you for the information, Dibblet and ukulele! I look forward to playing around with those. :)

For a full 2-octave G, try: 0-2-7-10. Not the easiest fingering, but oh-so-satisfying!

Some other G chords:

0578 (G7)
0-11-10-10 (G)

Last edited:
I spent a couple hours early this morning working on these open voicings, and I've come to a few realizations:

1. One reliable means of creating these chords is to fret each string as if playing the same chord in different positions on the neck simultaneously (this is how I came upon 0-2-7-10).
2. So long as you are careful about which scalar degree you're gaining and which degree you're sacrificing, another reliable way to open up the voicing is to fret the A string 3 frets higher than the C string (to create the octave interval). For example, 0215 would be G7 but lacks the third scalar degree, so it becomes a G7sus/D. Chord substitution techniques usually offer workarounds in most keys.
3. Working around the ukuleles limitations and discovering these chords is a great way to deepen your knowledge of the ukulele fretboard and harmonic progressions as they apply to the uke.

And 4. Low G would make this *so* much easier!

Thank you very much for taking the time to work on these, and then sharing your information with us! :) I'm a relative newcomer to the instrument, and I am very interested in learning to progress beyond the first three frets. Your info is quite helpful!

Thank you for the suggestion-I am getting that book from my local library! :)

A good resource for playing up the neck is Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps by Fred Sokolow and Jim Beloff. I've heard there's an even better guide now, but I've never read it and I don't recall its name or author, sorry.

Perhaps you are thinking of Bordessa's Ukulele Chord Shapes?

Top Bottom