Ohana TK-38?

13down

Reaction score
Anybody have thoughts on the Ohana TK-38? It's an under-discussed instrument on here. Curious to hear general thoughts on it but especially:

1) Is it as light as the vintage ukuleles that it's supposed to look & sound like? If not, is it at least lighter than other modern ukes?

2) How does it sound with a low G?

I don't own the TK-38 but I do own the SK-38. It's real light weight and the sound is awesome.

I am very interested in the TK-38. I love the all solid mahogany sound on Martin Sopranos, I'd like to hear the equivalent in tenor size in something easily affordable.

I saw the 39 series in the Ohana Namm videos. I'd also love to hear if anyone has any experience with those models.

Ohana is a sponsor of the LA International Ukulele Festival this year. I hope they will have a booth up with some models to sample/purchase.

I wonder if the TK-38 is still in production? I don't see any for sale out there on the innermess.

I'm pretty sure they're still in production. I called a store near me - the Uke Hut in Astoria, Queens - and they said that they are still in production and might order some. I had thought they were done for.

Last edited:
I've had a TK38 for a couple of years. I don't know how it compares to the Martin it was based on but it is a very nice instrument. Tried it with high G PHD strings then with Low G PHD. Much prefer the low G.
It doesn't get as much attention as it should since I got a Pono concert ACD. I prefer playing concert size nowadays.

I am setting one up tomorrow. I wont make any promises but I will try to demo it for you before I change the strings. It is a special order. It will be strung to Baritone tuning with a High D. So note to self, demo the uke before I cut the strings off... haha!

I'm pretty sure they're still in production. I called a store near me - the Uke Hut in Astoria, Queens - and they said that they are still in production and might order some. I had thought they were done for.

They aren't as far as I know and I am Ohana's largest dealer, but sometimes I don't think to ask. I spoke with them today but did not think to ask. I will try to ask next I speak to them.
The CK-38 was gone for awhile and then they JUST brought them back but I had heard nothing of them ceasing the production of the TK-38.
That being said, they are not a limited model per se, but they do not come in as regularly as song of the other models, so if you want one, ya gotta get one while you can get one :)

The SK-39 and CK-39 are coming soon. I reviewed the SK-38 a long time ago and the SK-39 was reviewed in the latest issue of Ukulele Player Magazine (I did the review). I am impressed with the construction, tone, and light weight. This ukulele will be popular when it is released. Ohana is looking at a July release, so, keep your eyes on their website. This model will sell-out fast.

I am setting one up tomorrow. I wont make any promises but I will try to demo it for you before I change the strings. It is a special order. It will be strung to Baritone tuning with a High D. So note to self, demo the uke before I cut the strings off... haha!

Howdy Mim,

Could you please tell us which strings you are using on this uke?

Thanks!

:cheers:

Top Bottom