If you had time to only visit one ukulele shop on the Big Island, which one?

AmyDee

Reaction score
We have only 3 days, and already overbooked with hikes and a long list of "must see" places. But if I can squeeze in one store/shop visit, which should it be? We are arriving at Kona, staying in Volcano and flying out of Hilo.

Both Volcano and Hilo are not that far from Chuck Moore's in Opihikao, but give him a call first. He was very accommodating to my brother and me when we visited a few years ago. While hardly a 'ukulele shop', it was an unforgettable experience for me to meet Chuck in person and to admire his in progress work.

If you are looking to buy a uke go to Hilo Guitars and Ukulele..most of Ukulele Builders on the Big Island will not have anything to buy..not sure what other shops are in Kona or Hilo

Alas, Hilo Guitars and Ukuleles closed last month. Owner Ken relocated to the mainland due to health issues. I got my G-String Baritone from Ken about 8 years ago.

I like the folks at Hawaiian Ukuleles and Guitars (HUG). Got my "Da Big Islands Okayest Uke Playa" shirt from them. They're in Queens Marketplace in Waikoloa.

If you want to see a small shop with locally made ukuleles, my buddy Michael Perdue has a shop called Lilinoe Lifestyle at 832 Kilauea Ave in Hilo. He's a luthier, and sells his own, as well as other folks ukes. He's affiliated with the Big Island Ukulele Guild. Check him out beforehand at lilinoelifestyle.com. You can also find him on Facebook.

HMS hands down...
Doh, never mind, they're on Oahu!

I would try to go visit Chuck Moore on the big Island...

Top Bottom