Epiphone UkeBird (Mandobird IV Conversion) Electric Ukulele

D

Dean Beaver

Epiphone UkeBird (Mandobird IV Conversion) Electric Ukulele Review

Original Post has been Deleted by Owner.
Apologies for any Inconvenience.

Last edited:
Indeed Indeed, yes the steel string electric Uke is a lot of entertainment and has a huge range of capabilities through a good Guitar Amplifier. It will never replace the Acoustic Ukuleles, but it's not supposed to, it's a novelty addition to Ukulele playing for me, nonetheless it's an addition that I would not personally want to be without. I had to experiment a bit with string gauges as I couldn't find any consistent reference for string gauges for an Soprano scale Electric, most seem to be Tenor scale.
I've seen a few of the Risa Electric Ukes, such as the LP model and a couple of different Risa Stick Ukes, they are pretty cool and seem like good quality Electric Ukes from what I've briefly seen online.
I'm currently trying to get a picture to upload on the original post, I'm not sure if it can be seen as my internet connection is super slow today and pretty much dysfunctional ..
Thanks for your comments Stagehand :)

Last edited:
what strings are you running on this? Also, is it re-entrant High G, or linear Low G? It looks cool

This is what I use on my "Lucy" listed as National Rocket here. I figured out a way to use the same string sets that I use on my Tele.
National 8-String Uke 2.jpgStrings.jpg

This is what I use on my "Lucy" listed as National Rocket here. I figured out a way to use the same string sets that I use on my Tele.
View attachment 101124View attachment 101125

Well, It looks like the Tele strings don't match what I use on Lucy after all. I think in the end I just put it together buying single strings but they are D'Addario and the gauges listed.

Used to have a MandoBird VIII and it was a lot of fun. To me the IV is more versatile. Have a good time with it. A good place for strings is EMando.com as they seem to have everything e-string related.

Well, It looks like the Tele strings don't match what I use on Lucy after all. I think in the end I just put it together buying single strings but they are D'Addario and the gauges listed.

Hey Geeky666, Lucy looks cool, an 8-string.

I also saw a recommendation to purchase individual D'Addario strings, however I had a spare set of the Slinky strings already in my Strat case, which were for my Strat but I haven't been playing it for some time.
I do recommend that people use the strings of their choice, and to experiment according to their desire with gauges. Personally I've become an adamant user of Slinkys on my Electric Guitar.
Epiphone do the Mandobird in an 8-String, the Mandobird VIII, however I consider I was fortunate to stumble across the 4-String model. Apparently the Mandobird VIII has a Single Piece Saddle, whereas the Mandobird IV has Four individual fully adjustable saddles as on a Strat style Guitar. I found having the Individual Saddles meant I could adjust the intonation of each string accordingly, whereas with the Mandobird VIII that can't be done.
Also I really wanted a 4-String, so for me it worked out very well, I also very much like the Firebirds. It's a personal thing, but I still count my blessings for finding this instrument. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it advertised on a FB page, and after 18 hours of the post being up there was not a soul interested in it. It was advertised as a small guitar, the owner had no idea about it, it was just sitting in their shed getting dusty and even the frets were starting to get a small amount of surface rust it had just been sitting there for years apparently, as some kind of ornamental purpose.
Until I saw it I was not even aware these existed, and to be honest I looked at it several times before I really comprehended just what I was looking at. A quick and easy exchange and it's now mine. The previous owner really couldn't have cared less about it. As the saying goes "One man's trash is another man's treasure" ..
I'm curious, Do you have a post regarding your National ?

Thanks very much for your input :)

Used to have a MandoBird VIII and it was a lot of fun. To me the IV is more versatile. Have a good time with it. A good place for strings is EMando.com as they seem to have everything e-string related.

Hi Stevez, I'm curious did you play the Mandobird VIII as a Mandolin or as a Ukulele ?
I also have a preference for the four string, I can do some lead work, looping with it.
I do have an 8-String Concert Uke though, which is apparently handcrafted in Germany by a Classical Instrument maker, it's solid top back and sides, I've never been able to find any reference to it anywhere, though the Maker is known.

Hi Stevez, I'm curious did you play the Mandobird VIII as a Mandolin or as a Ukulele ?
I also have a preference for the four string, I can do some lead work, looping with it.
I do have an 8-String Concert Uke though, which is apparently handcrafted in Germany by a Classical Instrument maker, it's solid top back and sides, I've never been able to find any reference to it anywhere, though the Maker is known.

Had it as a mando GDAE. Got it used and it was fun, but passed it on. Hindsight being 20:20 I had the chance for a M IV and didn't take it, and have regretted not taking it. Would have tuned it CGDA and rocked with it. Ended up getting an Effin UkeStart (nylon string) electric from Butler Music and set the axe CGDA for rock stuff.

Cool, I liked the video . Maybe if you keep your eye out you might find another, it's a pity you missed the opportunity before, but I'm pretty sure there's some around for sale occasionally.
Your video is ok , my first video effort was pretty crummy too so don't fret about it :) The Video Review I did for this Ukebird IV is my first proper edited video, recorded on my mobile and then I edited it via a Video Editor App.

Last edited:
I have a Risa tenor, here are Risa's and D'Addario's recommndations:

heavy gauge (about 20 lbs tension):
high g - .014"
low-G = 0.030" wound
C = 0.023" wound or 0.020" plain
E = 0.016" plain
A = 0.012" plain

light gauge (about 15 lbs tension):
high g = .012
low-G = 0.026" wound
C = 0.017" plain
E = 0.014" plain
A = 0.010" plain

A 0.018" for C is is okay. You can buy a standard electric guitar string
set 0.010" and take the first four strings of this set.

With kind regards
RISA Musical Instruments

And D'Addario's Recommendations:

Unit Weight Scale Length Frequency Gauge Tension
(Lb/in) (in) (Hz) (in) (Lb)
.00001601 19.00 466.20 A# = PL0085 13.00
.00001794 19.00 440.00 A = PL009 12.98
.00003190 19.00 329.60 E = PL012 12.95
.00004984 19.00 261.60 C = PL015 12.75
.00009184 19.00 196.00 G = NW022 13.18
.00001999 17.00 466.20 A# = PL0095 13.00
.00002215 17.00 440.00 A = PL010 12.83
.00004037 17.00 329.60 E = PL0125 13.12
.00006402 17.00 261.60 C = PL017 13.11
.00010857 17.00 196.00 G = NW024 12.48

My Risa tenor is due for a string change. Got a set of EB regular slinky's ready to go.

Cool Stagehand, I'd be interested to know how you go with the Slinkys on your Tenor Risa Stick.
I haven't seen or heard one of the Risa Sticks in action yet :)

Top Bottom