Comparison- Kala & Pono Baritone Ukuleles

First thing to strike me was that the Pono was a sharper tone, not bad, but the Kala has my kind of mellow tone. :)

Thanks for posting - I can save some money & not even bother about getting a Pono........ :cool:

Let me see: mahogany at one extreme of the tonal spectrum and spruce/rosewood (new spruce, to boot) at the other extreme. Is is at all surprising that the spruce-top would have a "sharper" tone?? This is one of those apples and oranges comparison clips: neither tonewoods, brands nor price points are being compared well.

Actually they are being compared well. It depends on what the purpose of the comparison is. Only i would know that since I did it, not you.

The point was to show that both instruments sound very different, because of the tone woods used. Most people wouldn't hear the difference unless the two instruments were compared side by side.

Judging from the comments here and elsewhere, what I wanted to accomplish, and have people hear, is exactly what has happened.

First thing to strike me was that the Pono was a sharper tone, not bad, but the Kala has my kind of mellow tone. :)

Thanks for posting - I can save some money & not even bother about getting a Pono........ :cool:

You are welcome.

But you haven't really demonstrated that the tonal difference is mainly due to the topwoods because of the other great disparities between the two models. I have ukes of the same topwoods that sound decidedly different because of build, and also ukes of different topwoods that sound very close.

Actually I did mention the difference in woods in the beginning and referred to the highs that the Pono had. Mostly, it was not my motivation to influence the hearer about the way the two ukes sounded. Notice I didn't really give my opinion and I didn't mention the cost of either one, as I have in other videos. In this video the purpose was to play two instruments so the hearer can listen, hear the difference as they perceive it and decide which one they like best. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sorry you didn't like it. I will probably be awake all night concerned that your expectations weren't meant as I expect that every single person that watches one of my videos must like them. If they don't I lose sleep. :)

Last edited:
It's surprising how different the same strings sound on each. I would never guess the Pono is sporting Living Water low Ds. :eek: Its so bright I almost would've sworn it was using a wound D and G.

I'm like uke1950, based on this sample of one, I would be avoiding spruce Ponos - for me personally. But I can see in a group setting, as you said leading worship or something, it might be a benefit.

Thanks for the vid Vic

Hey Vic,

I appreciate the comparison, and enjoy every video that you make. Keep up the great work. I'm not going to be buying any more baritones (I only have my very inexpensive Lanikai that was $40 shipped) but I do appreciate everything that you are doing to help others and to share your knowledge.

What my comment meant, was that I do not like that sharp tone of the Pono, it makes it sound like an acoustic guitar to me, not what I would be looking for in a baritone.

I already own a Kala cedar top with Living Water strings on it, which has a great tone, I also have a Lani spruce top baritone, & I quite like it's slightly more sharp tone, but it is not like that Pono. Of course we all like something different from our ukes - you called the Kala 'muddy', I call it 'mellow'. :)

I think this comparison was good, as it used the same strings on two quite different baritones, & clearly showed the difference between them.

It's surprising how different the same strings sound on each. I would never guess the Pono is sporting Living Water low Ds. :eek: Its so bright I almost would've sworn it was using a wound D and G.

I'm like uke1950, based on this sample of one, I would be avoiding spruce Ponos - for me personally. But I can see in a group setting, as you said leading worship or something, it might be a benefit.

Thanks for the vid Vic

You are welcome Jim. I appreciate your comments.

Hey Vic,

I appreciate the comparison, and enjoy every video that you make. Keep up the great work. I'm not going to be buying any more baritones (I only have my very inexpensive Lanikai that was $40 shipped) but I do appreciate everything that you are doing to help others and to share your knowledge.

Thanks Choirguy.

What my comment meant, was that I do not like that sharp tone of the Pono, it makes it sound like an acoustic guitar to me, not what I would be looking for in a baritone.

I already own a Kala cedar top with Living Water strings on it, which has a great tone, I also have a Lani spruce top baritone, & I quite like it's slightly more sharp tone, but it is not like that Pono. Of course we all like something different from our ukes - you called the Kala 'muddy', I call it 'mellow'. :)

I think this comparison was good, as it used the same strings on two quite different baritones, & clearly showed the difference between them.

That is what I thought you were saying in your initial comment.

I appreciate the input.

Top Bottom