thinking about 6 string ukulele- your thoughts??

valde002

Reaction score
Am curious about a 6 string uke. I am more comfortable with the concert size and it seems like they only come in tenor sizes. Would get the tenor size 6 string if that is all they make.

Any thoughts about them? I think that the first string being doubled might be weird to play, especially if that is the voice line. But the sound is intriguing to me.

Anyone with thoughts of love/hate? Any particular brands to watch out for?

Thanks in advance...

I enjoy mine. Have experimented with several tunings. It's not difficult to adjust to the string combinations and it sounds pretty good when doing tock 'n roll.

I have a KoAloha Imailani 6-string. It's a lovely sounding instrument. They are made for strumming, not picking, unless you're a picking superhero. When I play it in our local group it adds a distinctive tone.

Two of my favorite Hawaiian ukulele players, Iwalani Ho`omanawanuiikanaauao Apo and Kuana Torres Kahele, both play Kamaka six-string tenors.
I have posted this video before, but I just can't help myself whenever anyone asks about six strings.
Here is Kuana playing his six string.
He uses a wound Low A on the very bottom and a wound Low G on the very top, and an octave C pair.

I was lucky enough to snag a Mele 6 string concert and have recently picked up an Ohana CK35-8. Had worth clears installed and it's awesome. If I had known the Pono acacia 8 string concert was out, I'd have snagged that one instead. Many of us just play an 8 or a 6 string pretty much the same way we play on 4 strings, and some have problems. May require a little "conditioning" for the fretting hand due to the extra effort. If you love the concert size as I do, get the taropatch, Ohana or for $100 more the Pono. The Ko'olau concert case is perfect for either. If you want a tenor, I strongly recommend the Ohana TK70-8 with the solid mahogany body and solid spruce top. Incredible 8 string tenor for $289

I used to have a very nice Mya-Moe 6 but wanted an 8 string more (commissioned a Barron River tenor 8). I sold the MM6 to a guy who plays with a guitarist for which I believe a 6 is perfectly suited for as it fills a certain sonic place that compliments the sound of a guitar.

6 string uke? :stop: Just get a guitar :rulez:

Ok, i'm just kidding, but somebody had to say it. :p :nana:

Two of my favorite Hawaiian ukulele players, Iwalani Ho`omanawanuiikanaauao Apo and Kuana Torres Kahele, both play Kamaka six-string tenors.
I have posted this video before, but I just can't help myself whenever anyone asks about six strings.
Here is Kuana playing his six string.
He uses a wound Low A on the very bottom and a wound Low G on the very top, and an octave C pair.

Wow! This would be a total inspiration if it were not so dang intimidating!

Before buying a 6-string uke, I would prefer to buy a tenor guitar. On the other hand I do like 5-string ukes, doubled/octaved on #4. Thus you have linear & reentry on one uke. Grrreat!

I have a tenor uke. But I love that double-string sound! If I see one for sale, I just might be tempted...

I think you mean doubled on strings 2 (unison) & 4 (octave). I tested one once. It sounded nice but I'd suggest going all the way -- get an eight string. Ohana has a great tenor eighter, & Kala just came out with a baritone eighter. I have both & like them a lot.

I've never quite understood the reasoning behind a six string uke, a five with octave tuned 4th string I get, & an 8 string produces more sound.

I think I'd go for one of the Ohana 8 string concerts they've just brought out. :)

The six has its own sound which I really like a lot. Also fun to try all the different combinations:
Low G, high G
Low A, unison A
Lots of options!

Top Bottom