View Poll Results: Which Uke Soprano to buy?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ucadelic

1 10.00%
  • Dolphin/Shark

9 90.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Soprano

Default Beginner Soprano

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for an OK beginner Soprano.

My budget has lead me towards two options:
    1) Kala Makala Ucadelic: They ship with a bag and Aquila strings.
    2) Kala Makala Dolphin/Shark: For about the same price, they can also be shipped with Aquila strings and a gig bag.

From YouTube videos - to me - the Ucadelic sounds better.
    But what are people's general opinions in here? Which would you choose and why?

Bear in mind that I live in Denmark, and that the options are relatively limited.

Many thanks.

They are virtually the same instrument as far as construction goes, same materials, so the sound should be similar. The larger bridge on the dolphin might effect the sound.........if you think the Ukadelic sounds better, that is the one to get. The graphic choices are very cool.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    They are virtually the same instrument as far as construction goes, same materials, so the sound should be similar. The larger bridge on the dolphin might effect the sound.........if you think the Ukadelic sounds better, that is the one to get. The graphic choices are very cool.
    both are considered decent beginner's ukes. You will like one slightly better than the other, doesn't matter why, just get that one.

Well, as they are virtually the same uke, & as you like the Ukadelic, that's the one to get, because you will pick it up more & practice with one you like.
    Long Neck = Kala KA-SLNG - Ohana SK30M - Ohana SK30L - Ohana CK35L
    Electric = Mahalo 'Surfboard' concert - RISA Solid/Stick concert - RISA Uke Ellie tenor - RISA Solid/Stick tenor
    Concert = Baton Rouge Hotrod - Baton Rouge Sun thinline cutaway - Kala KA-CEME - Kala KA-ASAC
    Tenor = Kala KA-T (fitted with classical guitar strings DGBE)
    Baritone = Lani solid Spruce top - Kala solid Cedar top

In your position I'd go for the Shark rather than an all plastic Ukadelic. Lots of folk have the Dolphin/Shark, like them for what they are and can offer good advice about how to get the best out of them; as a bonus the Shark/Dolphin also has a reputation for being able to withstand rough treatment. I prefer the Shark bridge to the Dolphin and find the plain colours of the Dolphin/Shark suit me better than the graphics on the Ukadelic, others have their own preferences.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 06-24-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post
    In your position I'd go for the Shark rather than an all plastic Ukadelic. Lots of folk have the Dolphin/Shark, like them for what they are and can offer good advice about how to get the best out of them; as a bonus the Shark/Dolphin also has a reputation for being able to withstand rough treatment. I prefer the Shark bridge to the Dolphin and find the plain colours of the Dolphin/Shark suit me better than the graphics on the Ukadelic, others have their own preferences.
    Is Ucadelic more plastic than the Dolphin/Shark? Didn't know that. And does that mean the dolphin/shark sounds better?

Just did a bit of research and found that the Ukadelic is all plastic, whereas the Shark is laminate back and sides with a solid Kauri top? A solid top? Can that be right? Well, If that's the case, I'd get a Shark...

Quote Originally Posted by aien89 View Post
    Is Ucadelic more plastic than the Dolphin/Shark? Didn't know that. And does that mean the dolphin/shark sounds better?
    Yes the Ucadelic does use a lot more plastic than the Dolphin/Shark, please see Kala's website for further details
    https://kalabrand.com/collections/uk...oducts/mk-susa
    https://kalabrand.com/collections/ma...ucts/mk-ss-red

My recollection is that the original Ukadelics had a similar construction to the Dolphin/Shark and that it changed after the introduction of the Waterman model with which it now has commonalities.

My recollection is of reading on this forum that contributors preferred the sound of the Dolphin to the Waterman, whether the Ukadelic sounds better to you is down to your personal preference. The Dolphin is reputed to sound better again with different strings on it and a bit of other work on it. There are many threads on such easy and practical improvements to the Dolphin; I know someone who did such work on a Dolphin and found it to be true.

I hope that my comments are a help to you.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 06-24-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post
    Yes the Ucadelic does use a lot more plastic than the Dolphin/Shark, please see Kala's website for further details
    https://kalabrand.com/collections/uk...oducts/mk-susa
    https://kalabrand.com/collections/ma...ucts/mk-ss-red

My recollection is that the original Ukadelics had a similar construction to the Dolphin/Shark and that it changed after the introduction of the Waterman model with which it now has commonalities.

My recollection is of reading on this forum that contributors preferred the sound of the Dolphin to the Waterman, whether the Ukadelic sounds better to you is down to your personal preference. The Dolphin is reputed to sound better again with different strings on it and a bit of other work on it. There are many threads on such easy and practical improvements to the Dolphin; I know someone who did such work on a Dolphin and found it to be true.

I hope that my comments are a help to you.
    That helps a lot! Thanks!

If possible I'll buy a Dolphin/Shark then. Now it's time to choose the right color. So many nice ones!

Upgrade:
    I ended up buying the Malala Dolphin with Aquila strings. I've found out that I am more for soprano or concerts. The Dolphin sounds nice but what would be a good upgrade for around 150 usd? Either a concert or soprano.

Thanks.

Thread Information