Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aien89

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm looking for an OK beginner Soprano.

My budget has lead me towards two options:
1) Kala Makala Ucadelic: They ship with a bag and Aquila strings.
2) Kala Makala Dolphin/Shark: For about the same price, they can also be shipped with Aquila strings and a gig bag.

From YouTube videos - to me - the Ucadelic sounds better.
But what are people's general opinions in here? Which would you choose and why?

Bear in mind that I live in Denmark, and that the options are relatively limited.

Many thanks.

They are virtually the same instrument as far as construction goes, same materials, so the sound should be similar. The larger bridge on the dolphin might effect the sound.........if you think the Ukadelic sounds better, that is the one to get. The graphic choices are very cool.

:agree:
They are virtually the same instrument as far as construction goes, same materials, so the sound should be similar. The larger bridge on the dolphin might effect the sound.........if you think the Ukadelic sounds better, that is the one to get. The graphic choices are very cool.

:agree: both are considered decent beginner's ukes. You will like one slightly better than the other, doesn't matter why, just get that one.

Well, as they are virtually the same uke, & as you like the Ukadelic, that's the one to get, because you will pick it up more & practice with one you like. :)

In your position I'd go for the Shark rather than an all plastic Ukadelic. Lots of folk have the Dolphin/Shark, like them for what they are and can offer good advice about how to get the best out of them; as a bonus the Shark/Dolphin also has a reputation for being able to withstand rough treatment. I prefer the Shark bridge to the Dolphin and find the plain colours of the Dolphin/Shark suit me better than the graphics on the Ukadelic, others have their own preferences.

Last edited:
In your position I'd go for the Shark rather than an all plastic Ukadelic. Lots of folk have the Dolphin/Shark, like them for what they are and can offer good advice about how to get the best out of them; as a bonus the Shark/Dolphin also has a reputation for being able to withstand rough treatment. I prefer the Shark bridge to the Dolphin and find the plain colours of the Dolphin/Shark suit me better than the graphics on the Ukadelic, others have their own preferences.

Is Ucadelic more plastic than the Dolphin/Shark? Didn't know that. And does that mean the dolphin/shark sounds better?

Just did a bit of research and found that the Ukadelic is all plastic, whereas the Shark is laminate back and sides with a solid Kauri top? A solid top? Can that be right? Well, If that's the case, I'd get a Shark...

Is Ucadelic more plastic than the Dolphin/Shark? Didn't know that. And does that mean the dolphin/shark sounds better?

Yes the Ucadelic does use a lot more plastic than the Dolphin/Shark, please see Kala's website for further details
https://kalabrand.com/collections/ukadelic/products/mk-susa
https://kalabrand.com/collections/makala-sharks/products/mk-ss-red

My recollection is that the original Ukadelics had a similar construction to the Dolphin/Shark and that it changed after the introduction of the Waterman model with which it now has commonalities.

My recollection is of reading on this forum that contributors preferred the sound of the Dolphin to the Waterman, whether the Ukadelic sounds better to you is down to your personal preference. The Dolphin is reputed to sound better again with different strings on it and a bit of other work on it. There are many threads on such easy and practical improvements to the Dolphin; I know someone who did such work on a Dolphin and found it to be true.

I hope that my comments are a help to you.

Last edited:
Yes the Ucadelic does use a lot more plastic than the Dolphin/Shark, please see Kala's website for further details
https://kalabrand.com/collections/ukadelic/products/mk-susa
https://kalabrand.com/collections/makala-sharks/products/mk-ss-red

My recollection is that the original Ukadelics had a similar construction to the Dolphin/Shark and that it changed after the introduction of the Waterman model with which it now has commonalities.

My recollection is of reading on this forum that contributors preferred the sound of the Dolphin to the Waterman, whether the Ukadelic sounds better to you is down to your personal preference. The Dolphin is reputed to sound better again with different strings on it and a bit of other work on it. There are many threads on such easy and practical improvements to the Dolphin; I know someone who did such work on a Dolphin and found it to be true.

I hope that my comments are a help to you.

That helps a lot! Thanks!

If possible I'll buy a Dolphin/Shark then. Now it's time to choose the right color. So many nice ones!

Upgrade:
I ended up buying the Malala Dolphin with Aquila strings. I've found out that I am more for soprano or concerts. The Dolphin sounds nice but what would be a good upgrade for around 150 usd? Either a concert or soprano.

Thanks.

Upgrade:
I ended up buying the Malala Dolphin with Aquila strings. I've found out that I am more for soprano or concerts. The Dolphin sounds nice but what would be a good upgrade for around 150 usd? Either a concert or soprano.

Thanks.

I'm glad that you were able to decide a way forward and anticipate that your choice will be fine. I've got a Dolphin too and it does a job; putting Martin M600 strings on it improved its sound but of course that's a subjective assessment. If you haven't done so already then check and adjust the nut and saddle - lots of video's and other help available on-line to guide you about how to do that.

Selecting the next one on is hard to do but look at Baz Maz's site (got a ukulele) for a bit of inspiration and direction. I would suggest that you play the Dolphin for a year or so before getting anything else, get some skills and play it until it's actually holding you back (no disrespect intended but expect that to be well over a year).

When the time eventually does come then $150 is a plenty big enough budget for an upgrade, suitable (IMHO) for the likely skills of someone who's not been playing for years and years, and you will face a (too) confusing wealth of choice. I find that the Kala brand works for me and delivers value for money so I'd be looking at something in their range(s) when eventually upgrading. Concert or Soprano size is another choice and might take a few iterations to get right for you. Instead of a Concert I now normally play a Soprano and expect to stick with that size, but I came to that decision after fitting a new nut with wider spaced strings; as a first upgrade that route might not be best for you whereas buying a Kala KA-C ($100?) would allow a long term size comparison, leave you with a good Concert Uke that you could use indefinitely and leave you with funds to spare ready for when you've a better idea of what works for you.

Last edited:
If you're not sure of your next uke, consider a Kala KA-SLNG, concert scale with a soprano body. :)

I had never heard of the Kala KA-SLNG, but it looks beautiful and sounds nice. It might be the one.

I disagree with waiting a year before upgrading. A better instrument will be easier to tune and play, and make you fall harder in love with the uke.
I agree that Kala is a go-to in this price range. I bought all my neices ukes, and I wish I'd started them all on the SLNG - such a looker for $91, and easy care laminate.
If you are willing to care for it in dry climates, you should be able to purchase a solid top instrument for $150. You can look into Ohana and Islanders (Kanile'a) brands too.

It just depends on where your head is at.
Yes, of course. Whatever is motivating!
For me, it's holding an instrument that sounds like something.
I am of the opinion that the Makala MK-S (wood model) or, better yet, the Kala 15-S (Aquila strings), bundled with an electronic tuner, is where folks should START. These are playable, tuneable, ukes with good sound (for my money, beat out the more expensive and larger Luna concerts).

Although I've had good luck with those two models, as suggested above paying a little more to guarantee correct set up seems like an awfully good investment.

Last edited:
I disagree with waiting a year before upgrading. A better instrument will be easier to tune and play, and make you fall harder in love with the uke.

It's a bit puzzling to me why you would disagree about waiting before upgrading. I don't find my Dolphin any harder to tune or play than my more expensive Ukes, but I did do a good set-up job on it. With Martin 600's on it it sounds fine. I feel it's good enough to last a year and more in the right hands, that gives a bit of time for someone to better understand and select their next purchase. Ian Clarkson, of the Jive Aces, seems to think Dolphins are fine too (see this video after the first 90 seconds, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oXvJ8UquYoo )

I agree that Kala is a go-to in this price range. I bought all my neices ukes, and I wish I'd started them all on the SLNG - such a looker for $91, and easy care laminate.

Can't argue with that, I have one and it used to be my favourite.

Last edited:
If you wait, would you be able to afford a little bit more? You could get something really nice in the $200 to $300 range. I'm not sure that buying a $150 uke would have a huge advantage over what you have.

Upgrade:

Thanks.

I'd suggest a Ohana or a Kala concert. They will be a lot less Plinky Plunky than a Soprano. Mim has a lot of choices give her a call. (540) 505-5444. She will have some ideas.

I just got a Dolphin.

Bought it from Uke Republic.

They set it up for me.

Plays like a dream.

I am very happy with it.

Top Bottom