NUD Farallon arrived

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I was pleasantly suprised to have my Farallon delivered to me yesterday. HMS sent it out on Wednesday and for it to make it to my address in Canada in three days was great. Another big shout out and kudos to Andrew and his staff for delivering me a well set up beautifully playing instrument. I ordered mine with a radius fretboard, sound port and string through bridge.

This Blackbird Farallon is amazing, simple as that. The sound is full and loud and resonant AND articulate. It is one of those rare ukes that sound as good strummed as fingerpicked. What really impresses me is the feel, balance and playability. It is as comfortable to play and as easy to play as my two favorite tenors. It feels like an old friend already. The neck has a great feel to it, being a medium depth with a nice D shape to it. The back has a very pronounced arch to it that eliminates the need for braces. I was worried this uke would feel like plastic or artificial and I would not warm up to it. This is not the case. In my hands I feel as if it is a wooden instrument or at least something made from the land with a natural feel.

I like this instrument a lot and it will be interesting to see how the sound improves as the strings get played in, not that it needs to improve, it's damn good as is!!!

20170624_085915.jpg20170624_085934.jpg20170624_085941.jpg20170623_181831.jpg20170624_090239.jpg

Last edited:
Love hearing others discovering and loving the Farallon. I have one too, also with the radius fretboard. Incredible sounding and playing ukulele! Curious if you have yours strung high g or low g. (I also have the Clara and since it's in low g, I have my Farallon in high.)

Love hearing others discovering and loving the Farallon. I have one too, also with the radius fretboard. Incredible sounding and playing ukulele! Curious if you have yours strung high g or low g. (I also have the Clara and since it's in low g, I have my Farallon in high.)

I have it strung low G, my tuning of preference for tenors. With your Clara being low G it makes sense to have your Farallon high G. I remember when you got your Farallon, the review you did was very helpful in pushing me towards getting one.

Maybe I need a Clara for a car uke :p...........right Tim.

Looks great. Nice big side sound port. Love the string through bridge. Two must have features. Congrats Dave.

She's a real beauty, Dave. I hope this doesn't mean that your UL-4 is getting less play time. Wish I could find a way to play three of my favs at the same time.

She's a real beauty, Dave. I hope this doesn't mean that your UL-4 is getting less play time. Wish I could find a way to play three of my favs at the same time.

Thanks, I think they did a good job with the aesthetics . The UL 4 has not been getting much play time, I go through phases with what I like to hear and play

Contrats. I remember mentioning that I can't imagine anyone ever regretting the purchase of a Farallon, and it sounds as if you would agree. But darn, now I have fretboard, sound port, and string through bridge envy! (Why does everything have to keep getting better after you've bought one?)

You got the one from HMS that was so impressive with the sound port. It is a very nice instrument. Congratulations on a great score...!!!

Contrats. I remember mentioning that I can't imagine anyone ever regretting the purchase of a Farallon, and it sounds as if you would agree. But darn, now I have fretboard, sound port, and string through bridge envy! (Why does everything have to keep getting better after you've bought one?)

You were very helpful in answering the questions I asked you when you got yours. I know how that "envy" thing works. I saw the sunburst one on HMS and went *#&×*#* me......... I want that, lol.

Last edited:
You got the one from HMS that was so impressive with the sound port. It is a very nice instrument. Congratulations on a great score...!!!

Thanks. Someone else bought the one you are refering to. I had ordered this with the string through bridge, that one had a tie bridge, both had the sound port. Andrew said they sounded very similar to each other.

Last edited:

Tim, I'll fess up. That Farallon with the side soundport from HMS arrived here yesterday. Dave's Farallon is a custom one with the first through-hole bridge and first side soundport. Mine has the standard tie-bridge. It was cool that Dave and I received our on the same day.

My initial assessment is similar to Dave's. My Farallon with side soundport is one of the best sounding linear strung ukes I have played. It's got everything: resonance, balance, harmonics, responsiveness, volume, all in the right amount. I'm blown away by the sound quality and evenness. The trebles are bright and clear the bass is warm and not overpowering. I left the Oasis Warm/SM strings it came with on it. It excels in both finger style play and strumming. I have it in b-tuning right now. The playability, feel & comfort are terrific. When I play it, there is nothing missing. I'd compare and rank the sound quality and feel with the best custom builders.

Last edited:
DownUpDave and DocJ:

Congratulations! Welcome to the Farallon club. I have one as well but at the time of my purchase about a year ago, they did not offer side ports and radiused fretboards, which I would have preferred.

Luke

Tim, I'll fess up. That Farallon with the side soundport from HMS arrived here yesterday. Dave's Farallon is a custom one with the first through-hole bridge and first side soundport. Mine has the standard tie-bridge. It was cool that Dave and I received our on the same day.

My initial assessment is similar to Dave's. My Farallon with side soundport is one of the best sounding linear strung ukes I have played. It's got everything: resonance, balance, harmonics, responsiveness, volume, all in the right amount. I'm blown away by the sound quality and evenness. The trebles are bright and clear the bass is warm and not overpowering. I left the Oasis Warm/SM strings it came with on it. It excels in both finger style play and strumming. I have it in b-tuning right now. The playability, feel & comfort are terrific. When I play it, there is nothing missing. I'd compare and rank the sound quality and feel with the best custom builders.

Hodge, I'll fess up too. I am the one who purchased the first sunburst Farallon that HMS got in. I believe it was for sale at the same time as your Farallon. I already had a Farallon so I sold it to a fellow UU member who was looking for one. I haven't received my sunburst yet.

Many congratulations to you on the Farallon you purchased. It is truly a great instrument.

By the way, my 3 dogs are all doing well and I hope yours are too...!!!

http://www.theukulelesite.com/blackbird-farallon-ekoa-tenor-w-radius-high-gloss-sunburst.html

Last edited:
Congrats Dave and Hodge. I like the string thu bridge and with both of you giving the Farallon a thumbs up, I'm close to pulling the trigger. The Sunburst at HMS almost pulled me in but don't want or need the pickup, where as I want radius fretboard and string thru bridge. Dave, how long did it take to fill the custom order?

I wonder if each of you could comment of sound port? I've read in another thread where for high G tuning (which is what I Want) that Joe was reported as saying it wouldn't make that much difference. Whereas for low G the soundport really opens and balances thing off. Just curious either of your opinions on this!

Thanks

Hodge, I'll fess up too. I am the one who purchased the first sunburst Farallon that HMS got in. I believe it was for sale at the same time as your Farallon. I already had a Farallon so I sold it to a fellow UU member who was looking for one. I haven't received my sunburst yet.

Many congratulations to you on the Farallon you purchased. It is truly a great instrument.

By the way, my 3 dogs are all doing well and I hope yours are too...!!!

http://www.theukulelesite.com/blackbird-farallon-ekoa-tenor-w-radius-high-gloss-sunburst.html

My 2 dogs are doing fine as well. :)

Congrats Dave and Hodge. I like the string thu bridge and with both of you giving the Farallon a thumbs up, I'm close to pulling the trigger. The Sunburst at HMS almost pulled me in but don't want or need the pickup, where as I want radius fretboard and string thru bridge. Dave, how long did it take to fill the custom order?

I wonder if each of you could comment of sound port? I've read in another thread where for high G tuning (which is what I Want) that Joe was reported as saying it wouldn't make that much difference. Whereas for low G the soundport really opens and balances thing off. Just curious either of your opinions on this!

Thanks

I've got mine in low G (Oasis Warm, Smooth wound G). It sounds better (to the player) with the sound port vs. when I cover the sound port. Andrew and Kalei both say the soundport makes a big difference it the demo video.
https://vimeo.com/220854857

Thought I'd include today's sound comparison to the Farallon. I posted this in reviews but adding it here.
Just recorded comparisons to some of my other tenors in B tuning with all the same recording settings. The Farallon holds it own against some other amazing ukes.

Farallon : https://app.box.com/s/ia38ngucfkfb9vutvfz4ilhiewt16n51
LFdm spuce & rosewood: https://app.box.com/s/6tfex24yrg9fbsv5kluv6x09bux3rmf6
Grimes quilted maple: https://app.box.com/s/zv0ntq8mxd2h4oalro10nmgjm2rdno6v
Rieck spruce & koa: https://app.box.com/s/b2vx8tj0vcf6x617fvv747y1dd9dijj0

Last edited:
I was pleasantly suprised to have my Farallon delivered to me yesterday. HMS sent it out on Wednesday and for it to make it to my address in Canada in three days was great. Another big shout out and kudos to Andrew and his staff for delivering me a well set up beautifully playing instrument. I ordered mine with a radius fretboard, sound port and string through bridge.

This Blackbird Farallon is amazing, simple as that. The sound is full and loud and resonant AND articulate. It is one of those rare ukes that sound as good strummed as fingerpicked. What really impresses me is the feel, balance and playability. It is as comfortable to play and as easy to play as my two favorite tenors. It feels like an old friend already. The neck has a great feel to it, being a medium depth with a nice D shape to it. The back has a very pronounced arch to it that eliminates the need for braces. I was worried this uke would feel like plastic or artificial and I would not warm up to it. This is not the case. In my hands I feel as if it is a wooden instrument or at least something made from the land with a natural feel.

I like this instrument a lot and it will be interesting to see how the sound improves as the strings get played in, not that it needs to improve, it's damn good as is!!!

View attachment 101153View attachment 101154View attachment 101155View attachment 101156View attachment 101157

Congrats Dave! Nice pics and beautifully appointed uke. My Farallon is back at Blackbird getting a sound port. I was missing it before, quite a bit more after reading this thread..

Well, I guess I have to fess up as well.

I am officially envious and need to spend more time with Dave's Farallon.

I had a brief moment with the Uke and it is fabulous. Congrats buddy.

And congrats to Hodge and WhenDogsSing as well. I hope they bring you many hours of pleasure.

Top Bottom