NUD Farallon arrived

Firstly, congrats Dave and the other fine folks that have Farallons now. :)

It would not surprise me if there is a new trend of Farallon-envy here on UU, unless this has been going on before, and I have not seen it yet...but you can count me among that group...

Secondly, I too am interested in comparisons to the BTU as igor has mentioned above...if you are of this experience, please do tell...maybe in another thread? so as not to steal the thunder from the Farallon love...

I appreciate the congratulations. It seems that everybody that owns a Farallon enjoys it, just like the Clara. Blackbird is obviously doing something right.
:cool:

Last edited:
SIGN ME UP for a baritone as well. Hopefully Joe from Blackbird reads this.

I'd be interested in a Blackbird Baritone as well, with a side sound port and radius fretboard. You can tell Joe at Blackbird that a Baritone model from them is an international demand... :D

I appreciate the congratulations. It seems that everybody that owns a Farallon enjoys it, just like the Clara. Blackbird is obviously doing something right.
:cool:

Yes! It's great you've received and like yours. Because of these forum posts I succumbed to side-port envy and sent mine back to Blackbird to have one added (subtracted?).

I agree that a baritone ekoa Blackbird would be great. But, the baritone uke market might be too small to justify the tooling and prototyping costs. It took a couple years to get the Farallon after the Clara. Hope Joe has the time and capital to pursue an ekoa baritone.

I talked to Joe a couple of years ago about adding a baritone to his line and I know he was considering it, but then I guess he decided on the Savoy guitar instead. I play a little guitar so I'm looking forward to trying the Savoy but I'd definitely buy a Blackbird baritone if he ever offers one. Hint hint- Joe you reading this?!

Thanks Doc_J! I have a Farallon & Clara and have always been quasi-tempted on the carbon fiber BTU. But seeing as how it doesn't get much love/ popularity here, and seeing as how much better the Farallon & Clara do, I would say I'll pass on the carbon fiber BTU.
I just wanted someone else to say "they're not as good as the Farallon" and that seems to the consensus. So I can justify NOT spending $1,500 more!
I am jealous of the side ports though.
I would like a baritone as well.

I did email Joe at Blackbird about the idea of a Ryder steel string tenor guitar and he said that could probably be custom-made. Basically just taking the existing model but re-doing the headstock tuners/ nuts/ bridge, etc. So if anyone is looking at that as a possibility, I think that one would be do-able.

I've also previously owned a black Carbon Fiber BTU. The Farallon has better sound IMHO. The black Carbon Fiber BTU was loud, very resonant, but less woody sounding, the gstring was a bit overpowering. It sounded distinctly different from wood tenors. The Farallon sounds like it is a wooden tenor ( a very excellent wooden tenor).

Question to Igorthebarbarian, since you have both the Clara and the Farallon as I do, how are you tuning each? I mean in terms of low g high g. I have my Clara in low g and my Farallon in high but every once in a while I thinking about switching them.

Question to Igorthebarbarian, since you have both the Clara and the Farallon as I do, how are you tuning each? I mean in terms of low g high g. I have my Clara in low g and my Farallon in high but every once in a while I thinking about switching them.

I have the Clara high G gcea with Oasis strings.
I'm actually re-entrant high Bb tuning (FBbDG) with some nice Southcoast strings. I've had it low G gcea too with a wound Fremont too. I guess I just prefer re-entrant tuning. Always have.

Yes! It's great you've received and like yours. Because of these forum posts I succumbed to side-port envy and sent mine back to Blackbird to have one added (subtracted?).

I remember your sound sample of the Farallon and Clara back to back, that was fantastic. Are you still playing the Farallon on stage with your son accompanying on guitar? Glad to see you sent the Farallon back to have a sound port added....subtracted. Please let us know your thoughts when it returns.

I have it strung low G, my tuning of preference for tenors. With your Clara being low G it makes sense to have your Farallon high G. I remember when you got your Farallon, the review you did was very helpful in pushing me towards getting one.

Maybe I need a Clara for a car uke :p...........right Tim.

Flea for a car uke. Clara for the office.

Flea for a car uke. Clara for the office.

I am an outside sale rep, on the road all day everyday so my car is my office ;) I don't leave ukes in the car, I bring them into the house at night. But I do get your point............always wanted a Fluke or a Flea but just never got around to buying one.

I remember your sound sample of the Farallon and Clara back to back, that was fantastic. Are you still playing the Farallon on stage with your son accompanying on guitar? Glad to see you sent the Farallon back to have a sound port added....subtracted. Please let us know your thoughts when it returns.

Hey there. Yes, I'm still playing my Farallon at a local uke jam & open mic. But I haven't played again with my son, because he's been away at school. (He plays the Blackbird El Capitan guitar I bought him, by the way.) Luckily, his mom has been performing with me on stage. She sings, and she's the source of the boy's talent. It's been fun singing/playing/performing with the family.

Edit -- P.S.: Here we are (errors and all): https://www.facebook.com/1234298010/videos/10208983576006655/ Not playing my Farallon in this one, but I'm using the iRig Acoustic Stage for amplification.

Last edited:
Nice one Dave. It sure seems like a great instrument. A definite progression from the blackbirds I have heard. Enjoy!

Re : Baritone

I asked Joe Luttwak of Blackbird if they would be making a baritone. His response was......."Regarding a baritone, that could be a reality in a couple of years, but in the meantime we are doing our best to keep up with existing orders so new instrument development is not a logical priority."

Last edited:
I love the idea of a sound port with a cover!!

I love the idea of a sound port with a cover!!

Could anyone in contact with Joe ask him about the idea of adding a cover for the sound port? I think having that option would make me order a Farallon instantly.

To bad he dismissed the idea of a Baritone, for now.

Could anyone in contact with Joe ask him about the idea of adding a cover for the sound port? I think having that option would make me order a Farallon instantly.

To bad he dismissed the idea of a Baritone, for now.

Sure. He is supposed to send me progress pics in the next few days and I'll ask him then.

Regarding the baritone, I'm not surprised. The baritone market is TINY. From a pure market standpoint, I would think they'd be better served with adding a soprano.

Top Bottom