Replacing Tuners on 1950s Martin Tenor

Martinlover

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I love my Martin tenor but hardly play it because the tuners are a drag. Meanwhile I have a vintage Martin soprano O that came with waverly tuners (I have the originals) and the little thing is a joy to play.

After reading this blog post http://crawlsbackward.blogspot.com/2014/04/installing-gotoh-upt-ukulele-tuners-on.html?m=1 and giving it a good think, I plan on buying some Gotoh UPT planetary tuners. I have the Gotohs on my Blackbird Clara and they are great. Any words of wisdom before I take the plunge?

I understand the value of the tenor may be affected but I got this Martin at an incredible price and I just want to play it and enjoy it. For example, I got the Martin soprano style O because, not only was it less expensive than the other styles, I wouldn't have to fuss over it and keep it locked up in a case forever.

I'm looking at ordering my tuners here: http://www.japarts.ca/Gotoh/Gotoh-Products-UPT.asp

So let me know if you've made the leap or have advice. I'll post more as this project moves along, which will be slowly.

Thanks

Last edited:
No words of wisdom...go for it.

And thank you for increasing the value of mine with one less original Martin tenor in the world. 😝

Have you tried replacing the washers or tightening the screws? teflon washers are like 15 cents a piece. Gptohs are pretty nice if you are changing though.

I do use a screwdriver to tighten and untighten depending on the humidity and season. But when I play with a group, this is a nuisance. I could try washers but I am fundamentally lazy and want the ease of the Gotohs.

Gotohs are really nice for sure. It'll make it a lot easier. For myself, I could care less if tuners are original. For me, it's all about the feel of the neck and low actioned fretboard.

You'll have to ream out the tuner holes from the backside to allow room for the Gotoh UPTs to fit. It is an easy job. You'll need a tapered reamer. Just go slow with it.

You'll have to ream out the tuner holes from the backside to allow room for the Gotoh UPTs to fit. It is an easy job. You'll need a tapered reamer. Just go slow with it.
I did it to mine,and I would rather buy one with gotoh UPT already installed, it would be a plus for me. . I think these original tuners with the fiber washers are the worst of the Champions. [this is the 2nd one I've changed] I used a step drill bit and went easy by hand. doesn't need much.

I may have a local luthier install the Gotoh tuners. The thought of drilling makes me a little nervous. But I may change my mind and make it a real DIY project.

Those are great tuners, but what I've read is they are heavy for a soprano. I think that peghed are the lightest you can get and they look great. I think we someone posted the weights of various tuners, or it can be found with a Google search, if your want to compare.

I replaced the tuners on a vintage Martin tenor with Gotoh UPT's; didn't think twice about because I bought it to PLAY!! I reamed out the holes myself, and fitted a Baggs 5-0 pickup. I use it live and play it every day.
I suppose if I wasn't going to play it much I wouldn't bother replacing the tuners - because I wouldn't have to deal with them often. Also, the slightly greater weight of the Gotohs was not noticeable on a tenor, and looked in keeping with the whole aesthetic, aka the "vibe"
Another thing happened too... The easier it was to tune and play, the more I played it and the better it sounded!

+1 on making it playable.
I have 2 vintage ukes. Both have been converted to Gotoh's.
I did have Jake Wildwood at Antebellum Instruments do the work. I understand that if you are handy, this is a doable DIY job. (I am not)

Black is classic. It will look great.

Top Bottom