sapelle/ abs uke for a kid

fowl

Reaction score
I am always looking for a decent sturdy uke for kids. I was looking on Banggood.com. They have one that looks very similar to the Alic or Mahilele, except it has a rosewood fretboard. It does have the abs body and neck. It even appears to have the same compensated bridge as the Mailele. Just wondering if anyone has tried one to compare to the Alic or Mahilele?

It doesn't really look like a Mahilele, but mine is loaned out right now and I can't be sure. For $25 I hope you buy it and report back!

Last edited:
I am always looking for a decent sturdy uke for kids. I was looking on Banggood.com. They have one that looks very similar to the Alic or Mahilele, except it has a rosewood fretboard. It does have the abs body and neck. It even appears to have the same compensated bridge as the Mailele. Just wondering if anyone has tried one to compare to the Alic or Mahilele?

So Steve, did you buy one?

I have not ordered one yet Doug. I had never heard of Banggood til I saw it in a pop-up add. I do not need one for a child at this time, but I may spring for one anyway.

I am always looking for a decent sturdy uke for kids.

Perhaps not a direct answer to all of the original post but maybe a useful alternative suggestion for someone.

In the UK the Octopus Ukes (painted wood) are ideal for children and learners; I had the extended loan of one as an adult learner but the same pool of instruments were used in school sessions too. They are pretty robust, durable and play at least as well as Dolphins (see Baz Maz's review) - like all Ukes the nut might need sorting out. I don't know whether they are available in the USA or not, sorry, but it would be worthwhile trying to find out. IMHO the Octopuses are incredible value, very affordable (about £25 delivered which is roughly half the cost of an Alic here) and a good practical starter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom