Season 280: Before The Breathin’ Air Is Gone

It's Malvina Time!

This one is called "The Desert", by Malvina Reynolds. I forget what it is about ...

Have a day off with pay due to a boss screw up, so made a few videos. Feels like time well spent. lol

The cool thing about American Folk Music is that you can often a set of lyrics for any song that works for what you are looking for, and if not you can make a few up. I did not need to make these up for this little tune which I learned from Mr. Duncan many years ago...fortunately Lis Loeb had done that for me.
And Birds.
I really like birds.

header.jpg

bird's eye view of my ukelele • Green River • Now we're talking! I love CCR! I love go-go dancers too!

AlanDP • Down in the Cibolo • I'm glad you got this song out of you - it's a good one! Interesting story, both the true part and the embellished part!

TCK • Unacceptable • Right on. On my river - the Lower Fox River in Northeast Wisconsin - we spent 40 years getting the paper companies to remove the PCBs they dumped. We were successful. That, combined with the ban on DDT, brought the eagles back to our river. They disappeared in the late 60s, and today we get a winter population of over 220 on our small stretch of the river. The river is clean, it is healing. And now the monsters are dismantling everything we've done and worse. The EPA has gone from hero to bad guy. Soon, I fear that not only will the eagles disappear again, but the the entire planet will suffer greatly.

Jazzbanjorex • Beyond The Sea • This is such a good song, and you do it beautifully!

bird's eye view of my ukelele • Night Bird • Good song! I love your originals. I've been experimenting with step-tuning my ukes myself lately, it's kind of interesting!

TCK • Dinosaur • I'm so happy that you introduced me to this song. It's a great cautionary tale. I truly worry for the children of tomorrow.

dickadcock • The Desert • What a pretty song! The lyrics scan more as poetry than lyric. Very nice.

Recovering Bassist • The hummingbirds • Good song. I love hummingbirds! Why do hummingbirds hum? They don't know the words!

Recovering Bassist • Sunshine and bluebirds • This is one I don't think I've ever heard before. I like it! Well done!

TCK • as free a little bird as I can be • I had a friend named Larry Penn who called songs like this "zipper songs" because he could just "zip" any lyric he wanted to into the song. This is a good one, I like it!

Season 280. Submission 1. "Something In The Way She Moves" (Written by James Taylor, 1968)

Randy, at the center of my very soul is a beach and bay out on the East End of Long Island. As a teenage camp counselor, I took kids on 4 and 5 day canoe and sail trips out on this water. My house is very close to it and each week, I walk the beach still. And each night, Randy, when I close my eyes I see the water and I hear it upon the shore.

On one part of the beach, there are are bluffs. On the other, a pond off the bay. At the end of May small turtles hatch in the pond. Sometimes gulls or currents carry some away from the pond..... not good. Often beachcombers get involved in rescues. I was blessed in arriving at the right time to find one little one in the parking lot. (Probably dropped by a gull or perhaps a child.) A long brisk walk down the beach resulted in a safe return to the pond for this one. But not before a photo. :)

James Taylor was most likely singing to a woman when he wrote this song. But me? I'm singing to the water. The water at the very soul of me. I hope it still fits your fantastic theme. Thank you, Randy!

Last edited:
I should really be doing the list of things that would make my wife a happy lady when she gets home from work...but nah! More birds.

ok i gotta check out who the greatest band of all time is (alan have you really done a t rex song? ;))

before i do that let me post this, "bare trees" by fleetwood mac

a. big thanks to geetee for putting me onto this song and indeed the whole album it comes off - THANK YOU GEETEE!

and b. there is a line in this song, "so snug in your bed". i kept singing "so SMUG in your bed". this made me laugh. THE FIRST HUNDRED TIMES :mad:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH i won't say who it is, in case other people want the fun factor of checking for themselves without me blabbing it first! but yes, i'll give you that alan, best band! :rock:

header.jpg

Such a great day full of amazing music!

turtledrum • Something In The Way She Moves • Wonderful song, wonderfully played! I like the photos too! Cute little turtles!

ukuleledaddy • Save Me Now • Really good song for this Season, and your delivery is terrific!

TCK • Yellow Bird Song • Now that was a fun one!

xommen • Still Water • Good song. I really like your voice on this one - just perfect!

xommen • The Maker • Daniel Lanois songs suit you. This is real good.

ukuleledaddy • Apeman • Great song, I haven't heard it in quite a while! Good rendition!

Recovering Bassist • The cave • Wow, really good, powerful song. Well done!

AlanDP • High Rise • Good song, but it's new to me. I love your recording for this one, it sounds terrific!

bird's eye view of my ukelele • Bare Trees • Wow, that was something special! I love it, it's high-energy and wonderful!

Courtney Barnett is one of my favourite songwriters. She's got this great ability to take a mundane situation and paint a vivid picture through her lyrics.

In this instance she turns a road trip into a contemplation over the affect our day to day lives have on the local environment. She sort of does it in a spoken word style so getting the timing right was a bit tricky.

Not got round to contributing anything yet....hopefully before week is out. Someone at our uke group did a Ewan Maccoll song, The Manchester Rambler, last night. It's about an The mass trespass of Kinder Scout. That may mean a lot or very little to seasonistas, but I'm not doing it because I think, and hope in anticipation, that Tootlin Geoff will do a version. He'd do it better than I could, and he'd give that little bit of history as a back story. Here's hoping :)

Top Bottom