Season 280: Before The Breathin’ Air Is Gone

"Paradise" is a song chronicling the devastating impact of strip mining for coal, whereby the top layers of soil are blasted off with dynamite to reach the coal seam below. The song is also about what happened to the area around the Green River in Kentucky because of the strip mining. The song references the Peabody Coal Company, and a town called Paradise in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky where Tennessee Valley Authority now operates a coal-fired power plant. The area has suffered serious economic downturn because of the decline of coal mining.

Breathe

With a theme like "When The Breathin' Air Is Done" - the first song I thought of (sorry TCK):

I've done this song before, but it seemed like a good one for this theme, so this is a new recording of it, and I haven't used this particular uke for it before. It probably isn't apparent what an accomplishment it has been for me to be able to play this in F on a soprano without a strap.

Last edited:
header.jpg

Hump Day and the amazing songs keep rolling in!

Recovering Bassist • Let old mother nature have her way • I love old timey hillbilly music, and this is just terrific!

Recovering Bassist • Greener than the grass we laid on • This is great - the lyrics are something else! Good job!

cu94 • Wild Montana Skies • This song is in regular rotation with my uke group. I like it a lot. Good job!

Demimondaine • Fall On Me • Looks like a beautiful day out! Good job, very cool song!

LimousinLil • WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO THE RAIN? • Way to go, Tommy - great suggestion! Well done, Val! There's a thunderstorm out right now, by the way!

dickadcock • Let It Be • This is new to me. I should have this playing at my local environmental center! Good work!

greyghost • Mr. Blue Sky • Nice work! I really like what you put together here. Multi-tracking is fun!

LucilleJustRocks • Roll on, Columbia • Heino, this is really good. Great song choice, well done. And the Bari sounds terrific!

pabrizzer • Earth Died Screaming • I really enjoy listening to artists' interpretations of Tom Waits songs, and your is a beauty. It sounds like a traditional New Orleans blues number. Very nice!

lelouden • Evergreen • Well this is a fun one! I gotta check out the Okee Dokee Brothers! Nice multi tracking too!

IamNoMan • Paradise • I remember this one, it's a good one, thanks for bringing it to the Season!

Rustyy • This Dirty Little Town • This is new to me, it's a really good song! Thanks for the introduction. Well done!

redpaul1 • Breathe • You captured the atmosphere very well. Good job!

AlanDP • Flesh And Blood • Nice! This is a good song, and I like your playing!

Years ago, I bought sheet music for the Peter Gabriel song "Down to Earth" for some Season and never got around to using it. Gabriel co-wrote this song and it was an Oscar nominee for Best Song on the "WALL-E" soundtrack.

A soft gentle breeze, fly on my wind. A revisited song for this season, sorry if you've heard it before.

I have done this one before but it's such a fabulous song and so right for this theme that I had to do it again. This is a new recording for this season.

Country people, especially in the past, live close to nature (too close for comfort sometimes) so their songs are embedded in the country and the natural world. This song is the one that started Cecil Sharpe on his journey of collecting folk songs. He heard the gardener at a friend's house singing it, quickly noted down the melody and asked him later for the words of the song.

Arboribus Undique

The song Emerald Valley is an oldie from Gary Toler, & the tune of which I have only in memory (till now), but I had written down the words and chords in the '60's. A simple and easy song, sort of a sing-a-long on the chorus. So join in, play along, it's just "C" and the usual suspects.

chorus:
In the Emerald Valley, misty mountains
Roll you rivers to the sea
I will roam and I will ramble
In this land that freedom made for me.

Last edited:
I was on a coach in the Orkney isle to see the Ark Royal that was sunk in Scapaflow
by German submarines during WWII, and the driver said, if you look to the left you
can see the remains of the old Italian POW camp, and if you have looked to the left
then you have just missed the nudist beach on the right.
Lol A close call for an up periscope moment.

Do it! Do this one: https://youtu.be/d5SKvMsgBhs
Get everyone there to sing along.
Alas the weathers changed here now and theres not a winkle or a cockle to be found on the beach.

oooooooooooooooooooooh! visions of inspector clouseau in "a shot in the dark" with a guitar covering his modesty!

Lol A Sopranino would cover mine amply in this chilly weather !!

Got one uploading for ya Randy...............

Last edited:
Top Bottom