Does this saddle look correct?

Geeky666

Reaction score
Hi, I had the saddle replaced recently, does this look like a good job? I also see in this picture what looks like cracks in the bridge that these poor old eyes didn't catch. Thanks
Bridge.jpg

It looks like the saddle doesn't seat completely in the slot. It also looks like a shim of some sort is in there. I had him replace the saddle with Tusq when I went from under an under saddle pickup to K&K twins. You can see light underneath all the way through. I just ordered a replacement saddle, I respect my Luthier but after this I think I need to find someone else to work on it. :(

Hard to make judgements from a single picture but I agree it seems odd. The presence of a shim is not necessarily a problem. I had to do that on one of my ukes to raise the action under a bone saddle I wanted to keep. I am a total amateur but even I got the ebony shim to fit the slot better than that.

I guess the proof is in the pudding though. How well does it work?

You probably do need a second opinions on the bridge. If those really are cracks, I can't see how that would last very long under tension. But again, I'm no luthier - and I didn't even stay at a holiday inn last night :p

Yes, it does look a bit dodgy. The marks on the bridge look to be unfinished machining grooves, so they shouldn't be a problem. The saddle has definitely been shimmed, and this seems very odd if a new saddle has been fitted? It would be hard to get the height so wrong that you would need to pack it up that much!
I would be taking it back to the repairer and asking a few questions.

I don't suppose that "shim" is the original piezo transducer that wasn't removed, for whatever reason ... maybe it's glued in too heavily to get out without risking damage?

... just a thought ... :confused:

I don't suppose that "shim" is the original piezo transducer that wasn't removed, for whatever reason ... maybe it's glued in too heavily to get out without risking damage?

... just a thought ... :confused:
He gave me the old transducer back, it's not in there.

I'll just have to take it to another shop that has helped me before with good results. I gave this guy a brand new blank, I can't believe he got it so wrong. Thanks

From my experience, I have discovered the are people who call themselves luthiers who do horrible work. Then there are the real luthiers who went to school to learn the trade and craftsmanship.
I would search for a new luthier.

I wouldn't say that anything is wrong based on the photograph. Just maybe not the neatest job.

Having said that, closeup photography is BRUTAL! I don't see a crack in the bridge. I just see a scratch that was likely there from manufacture. There are many ukuleles that will have bridges that look like that in closeup.

Anthony

Thanks for the reply's. I was thinking something about the mechanical coupling might not be as good thus not sounding as good. It actually sounds OK to me but in the back of my mind I'm thinking "could it be better"?

No, you're missing the bit the cable connected to: the under-saddle pickup. The cable's just been clipped off, leaving the old pickup in place.

No, you are mistaken. The pickup still works, it wouldn't if had been clipped. See the little crimp or solder at the end? It's all there.
Pickup End.jpg

I think this is one of the first threads with pics that shoe a MiSi being replaced with a non-UST pickup.
If I were to guess, either the saddle was fit with the UST in place initially, then when the UST was removed, it needed a shim; or, the saddle was too short to begin with, and needed a shim. Either way, the correct fix would've been a new saddle.

At this point, I think you have the answer to your question, and you already know what to do.

I provided a new blank and that's how it turned out. I use a pick, the K&K twin spot sounds much better with my flat picking technique. Yes, you are correct sir, I know what to do. Thanks

These are stock photos of a Misi Trios. It looks exactly like what is in my picture.
Misi stock.jpgmisi-trio-u.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like bad work to me. I wouldn't accept it. In fact, I've brought much better work than that back to a luthier in the past.

It looks like bad work to me. I wouldn't accept it. In fact, I've brought much better work than that back to a luthier in the past.

I agree, I didn't notice the work until later. At this point it's not worth my time to take it back, I just won't use him anymore. It's a shame, I been using him for 20 years. On an Ovation Mando he did a nice job on a cracked bridge, he re-fretted my 12 string acoustic nicely, done all kinds of work on my "Lucy" Airline Mandola turned 8-string uke. He IS getting older, maybe he's loosing his touch or eyesight like me.

Anyway I do have a fall back, Grumpy's that sells Ukes. I know that's no guarantee but I'll at least go talk to him.

I agree, I didn't notice the work until later. At this point it's not worth my time to take it back, I just won't use him anymore. It's a shame, I been using him for 20 years. On an Ovation Mando he did a nice job on a cracked bridge, he re-fretted my 12 string acoustic nicely, done all kinds of work on my "Lucy" Airline Mandola turned 8-string uke. He IS getting older, maybe he's loosing his touch or eyesight like me.

Anyway I do have a fall back, Grumpy's that sells Ukes. I know that's no guarantee but I'll at least go talk to him.
If you have a 20 year history with this fellow I would hope that you could show him what you are not happy with and he will do it over again and do it to your satisfaction. Seems kind of cowardly to just walk away after that long without giving him a chance, unless there is something else going on here.

If you have a 20 year history with this fellow I would hope that you could show him what you are not happy with and he will do it over again and do it to your satisfaction. Seems kind of cowardly to just walk away after that long without giving him a chance, unless there is something else going on here.

I agree, here. As I said, I have taken unacceptable work back. And I don't have as significant a relationship with my luthier. Give your guy opportunity to fix it.

Sorry, looks like horrible workmanship to me.

that shim is there probably because if the old pick did not seat properly, when he took it out there was a gap, I don't know the whole story but you shouldn't jump to conclusions without
questioning the luthier before making assumptions.. give the guy a chance to answer at least :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom