Abalone rosette and binding too much?

Handbag? ¿Qué dices? Soy muy macho! ;-)

3f7f281852a3c8262b1841767735537d.jpg

Si Senor .. Mis disculpas .. Donde esta el Olmo ?? :))

I may be half-retarded (which is better than fully-retarded, and apologies to those that are :)), but as a man, the only ukes I'd consider girly or feminine might be pink or purple with rhinestones on them and I fully admit that this is a color-bias based upon stereotypes taught to me when I was a wee lad...and seeing more ladies with shiny adornments (jewelry) on their bodies than men as I was growing up.

Whatever your choice, be confident and OWN it. Your real friends will not judge you, but instead accept you. :)

Ahoy

no
not too feminine

as Ziret posted
what's wrong with something being feminine
am cheap
inlay costs money

given fine fancy uke
would not worry about gender
it would be played and loved

see you later
mac

I've owned a uke that had abalone only around the rosette (a clearwater) and a uke that had it on both the rosette and the perfling (an Oscar Schmidt).

At first, the Schmidt looked a little over-the-top. But over time, I came to think it looked awesome.

On the other hand, the Clearwater looked cooler to me at first. "Subtle and tasteful," I thought as I first took it out of the box. But then, over time, I realized that the abalone rosette isn't much to look at. I'd notice it every so often and say, "Oh yeah, forgot that that was there," and I'd find myself wishing it were a normal white strip just like the perfling.

I think that, because you can see the abalone perfling more while playing, it makes for a cooler visual experience. It's also more visible from far away, which adds to the visual experience. An abalone rosette gives a sense that the uke is a bit fancier, but it's not striking. It's more like a piece of jewelry that looks bland unless someone stares at your hand. The one with both the rosette and the perfling is more like a piece of jewelry that gets the point across from far away.

Do real men avoid abalone? Or do real men buy abalone because they're so confident?

Neither, because gender is mostly fake!

I think the ukulele you buy should be the one that sounds the best to you, and then it’s a big plus if you really dig the way it looks. Personally, I like a nice abalone ring around the top and/or soundhole instead of white/black/white plastic binding or purfling (although I love and own ukes with both).

As an aside, I will add that I think it’s kind of funny that the instrument makers want to call the plastic edging "ivoroid" or the fancier term "cross-grained ivoroid", when in truth it is mere plastic. Similar to this is the so called "mother of pearl" used on headstocks for the builder's name ─ we used to refer to that as "mother of toilet seat". Whenever I see a guitar or ukulele that has the builder's name set into the headstock in abalone I am impressed, because the builder took the time to do it (and then, of course they charge a bit more for the effort as well).

Buy what you like and then play the heck out of it.

" the only ukes I'd consider girly or feminine might be pink or purple with rhinestones on them and I fully admit that this is a color-bias based upon stereotypes taught to me when I was a wee lad...and seeing more ladies with shiny adornments (jewelry) on their bodies than men as I was growing up."

lol.

I have an HF-3 and have been personally looking for a more bling (abalone rosette and binding) to brighten up my life. That is just my personal thought on it. I say go for more bling!!!

Similar to this is the so called "mother of pearl" used on headstocks for the builder's name ─ we used to refer to that as "mother of toilet seat".

Mother of Pearl is in fact genuine shell, just like abalone, but it generally has a more even, whiter coloring (tho there is black MoP, gold MoP, etc). The term "mother of toilet seat" refers to Pearloid, a fake version of MoP. Some people like the retro look of Pearloid (Gibson guitars, for one), but I personally prefer genuine MoP.

I have a couple of ukes with glitz and have no concerns about whether they look feminine, I think they look great.

Uku uke 2 sideways.jpg

I have a couple of ukes with glitz and have no concerns about whether they look feminine, I think they look great.

Uku uke 2 sideways.jpg

I agree, and I like a little bling too. What is all this talk about feminine ukes? I guess if one wants to be manly he oughta get himself a heavy ol' rusty National Steel.

I thought all the old fashioned masculine/feminine days were over, and we all play the same, equal ukes. :eek:ld:

Huh? All I build are "feminine" ukes. ;) A little much for some people but I can't seem to help myself.

i am a Tough guy who uses a chain saw to cut my trees down...:) but i like this "feminine" uke......looks good Chuck!!

Top Bottom