F/S: 1920s Martin Style 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

cogfasser

Reaction score
Sweet mahogany Martin soprano (c.1925-27). Feather light. Great player with characteristic vintage Martin tone—very loud, dry, woody bark. Previous repaired stable crack on the back with some wear (see images). In wonderful condition for 90 year-old uke (I am the second owner). Bar frets and fretboard in great condition--very little wear. Neck is straight with good action. Three of the four are the original wooden friction pegs—one missing was replaced with a non-Martin ebony peg. No case included, but will be well-packaged for shipping. Currently strung with Worth Browns mediums (BM).

Selling to make way for a custom build.

Now asking $515 shipped & PayPal'd. ConUS only.

Detailed images can be viewed here: https://goo.gl/photos/WnvTeawqVkf13hTLA

PM me with any questions.

IMG_5267.jpgIMG_5299.jpg

Last edited:
It retains the original shellac/french polish--but it's been cleaned and polished up.

Great pics, thx.
Drooling. Always wanted to line up one from this vintage next to my 60's model O to hear them both.
The french polish is... original?
I'm still trying to figure out the vintage thing...
Isn't a french polish added later, a thin layer that melts the old finish a tad?
Also, can you give more info on that back repair? Did a hole or crushing injury result in that filler?

Last edited:
Hi Tracie,

I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can. You are correct, that the added French Polish has melded with the original old French polish layer. In that sense, if you are looking for one that has its original French Polish intact--this probably isn't truly in it's original condition. I don't know when the back repair was done--and it looks like it might have been repaired quite a few years ago. The filled area doesn't go completely though to the inside--so my thoughts is that it was part of the repaired crack that continues to the lower bout. The is indication of glue inside along the repaired crack, but no cleats were added. The repaired crack is stable though. The wooden pegs function okay, but they are finicky to tune. They could use adjustment (or replacement). Having the one odd peg is a drawback as well. As mentioned, its lightly built player with a great volume & tone. If that's what you are seeking. I'll be happy to answer other questions you might have.

Great pics, thx.
Drooling. Always wanted to line up one from this vintage next to my 60's model O to hear them both.
The french polish is... original?
I'm still trying to figure out the vintage thing...
Isn't a french polish added later, a thin layer that melts the old finish a tad?
Also, can you give more info on that back repair? Did a hole or crushing injury result in that filler?

Last edited:
Sure is a beauty! Some of the lightest and loudest sopranos ever built.

still available?

I've decided not to sell for now. I've become attached to playing it more and more. I just might give up my tenor instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom