Diamond Back DU-150 Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
I guess after last week's review, ANYTHING will seem better! You are probably still trying to get over that one! ;)

ha ha - something like that. I do try to keep price points in balance on the site - some people claim I only do expensive stuff. With the cheap, they are often dreadful (naturally), but it is also nice to find something nice at the low price points. This one isn't it, sadly

Thanks for the review Baz...

I've seen this brand advertised all over the place, but never been tempted...

I am very glad that you are available and helping the ukulele community with your eloquent and thorough reviews. :)

Thanks bud - only ashamed it too so long to feature this one. It's good to get those brands that are noticeable by their absence!

Thanks bud - only ashamed it too so long to feature this one. It's good to get those brands that are noticeable by their absence!

No worries. Just yesterday I was re-watching your reviews on the Alic soprano, the Snail rosewood soprano and the Ohana SK-14...on the hunt for a really nice beater soprano that could also be replaced with another identical at lower cost in case of loss, that I would literally take with me everywhere...

Thanks again for all your effort and honesty, it really helps and means a lot. :)

Lots of people like the Alic - I remain concerned about the durability of the fingerboard. The Snail would probably be my choice, although the Ohana is not too shabby! I really wouldn't overlook the Kala KA-S Either. Cheap, reliable, really not bad at all.

Lots of people like the Alic - I remain concerned about the durability of the fingerboard. The Snail would probably be my choice, although the Ohana is not too shabby! I really wouldn't overlook the Kala KA-S Either. Cheap, reliable, really not bad at all.

I am very smitten by the looks of the Snail rosewood soprano, but I am also kind of partial to the Ohana SK-14 which I can get from Mim's Ukes here in the USA and be confident that I wont have to do any tweaking due to her excellent reputation for her setup work...

I admit that I'm getting kind of lazy these days and find that adjusting nut slots for correcting intonation issues to be extremely tedious and painfully iterative to get right and I must be losing patience as I get older...

P.S. - if you might recall, I too got one of the Schoenhut Flea copies and that was just a waste, I should have waited for your follow-up, but I was impetuous and just 'wanted it' - lesson learned well, and not something I want to repeat, thus I would probably pass on the Alic or the Mahilele due to the soft plastic of the fretboard wearing down faster than I'd like

Last edited:
Yep - if you get anything from Mim it will be well set up. Superb.

I completely forgot about the Schoenhut!! Now that really DID wear down fast - in the space of a weeks playing as I recall!

Thanks for the review. I watched the video, and I think comparing it to that dreadful uke you did before it was fair. There are lots of those Diamondhead ukes around, people buy them for their kids to test their desire (and mettle, too, the strings are horrid). I managed to get ahold of one and put a set of Aquilas on it, and it played and sounded like a much more expensive uke. I actually got it in tune, and the kid was delighted, the parents grateful that she might continue rather than giving up.
Kudos to you Booli, for mentioning Mim. After 6 years, I still really enjoy the Kala she picked out and sent me. I had NO idea what I needed, and she hit the nail right on the head, having seen me play only once!

Yes, I do think these can be improved with better strings. The body is pretty resonant. It's just the total cost it would then be throws you into territory where you have lots more to choose from.

Top Bottom