Season 281 - Hello and Goodbye

Hey, That's No Way To Say Good-bye

I know TCK & W have already knocked this one out of the park, but it's all I got.

Hello everyone! For the last week I've been singing several hours every day and not getting nearly as much sleep as I should have. My daughter and I just got home and I had only about 4 hours of sleep last night, and then sang for another couple of hours this morning before coming home. I will be posting some videos on my youtube channel in the next several days if anyone wants to hear what I was up to (all gospel a capella music). I did write a song for this season during my free time. I tried to write one that sounded like an old-timey crooner song from the 1930s or whatever.

I say hello, she says goodbye
She smiles so sweetly, and leaves me to cry
I say hello, and she says goodbye

She says goodbye when I say hello
When I arrive, it's time for her to go

Every time I try to woo her
She has someplace else to be
I try so hard to pursue her
But she avoids me so successfully

She's disappearing just as I show

Every time I try to woo her
She has someone else to see
If she makes me any bluer
I'll be as blue as I can possibly be

I say hello, she says goodbye
Is it a wonder I've a tear in my eye?
I say hello and she says goodbye

Song number three for me and one I approached with some trepidation due to the challenging nature of the vocals. I love it so much though.

This song by Harry Nilsson appeared on the children's album "The Point" My cover is based on a rare televised performance by Nilsson from 1971 - arguably the best extant recording of it. I encourage you to listen to the original performance if you can find it. It's a masterful performance.

I had to capo this one because my voice is too worn out to hit the low notes. I checked the playlist and I don't think anyone has done it yet, even though it seemed like an obvious song to me. Trying to sing like Faron Young is really hard.

Liz,
I finally had a chance to myself for a few minutes to bring you a couple of children songs. I found both songs on Songs from Music Theropy Tunes by Margie on YT. She has a whole playlist of Hello and Goodbye songs. This was the quickest route for me. These songs are children's songs and they are good for you children's librarians or children's music leaders.

My mom recently moved out of her home on a street where my family lived for 75 years. (Before you ask, yes I need to rewrite the bridge to make that clearer.) Here's a song about the three generations of my family who lived on Belle Avenue.

SOTU 281: Hello and Goodbye Songs "HELLO, BUT NO GOODBYES"

Gave writing another original a go for this Season. I need to practice it more to get the tempo under control, but time's running out so here it is:

Hello, But No Goodbyes

Lyrics and Chords follow in Chordpro Format:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
{title:HELLO, BUT NO GOOD-BYE'S – Dennis Danner (C) 2017}
{st:Written 07.03.2017}

Intro: |[D] //// |[D] //// |

Verse 1:
[D]We're all gathered [D7]here today from [G]places near and [G]far away
[C]Strangers to each [C]other until [D]now . . . [D] . . . So,
[G]Look each other [G]in the eye, and [C]ask yourselves the [C]reasons why, You can't
[A]give the word [A]“Hello” a little [D]try? . . . [D] . . . .

Chorus:
{soc}
| [D] . Give me a | [D] Hi, . . a | [D] Howdy, or | [D7] Hello . . |
| [G] Sit and chat a | [G] while be - fore you |[D] go - o, . . | [D] . . I really |
| [A] hate to hear you | [A] say, . . . |[G]you'll soon be on your |[G] way . . . |
| [A] Please don't say Fare - |[G]well, or Good – |[D] Bye . . . | [D] . .
{eoc}

Verse 2:
We may [D] not learn a [D7]lot about each [G]other . . [G] . . . Our
[C]time together may [C]briefly come to [D]pass . . . [D] . . . But,
[G]we' are gathered [G]here right now, So, [C] let me tell you, [C]tell you how
To [A]say Hello and [A]never say Fare – [D]well . . . [D] . . . .

Chorus:
{soc}
| [G] Sit and chat a | [G] while be - fore you |[D] go - o, . . | [D] . . I really |
| [A] hate to hear you | [A] say, . . . |[G]you'll soon be on your |[G] way . . . |
{eoc}

Verse 3:
Don't [D]turn your eyes the [D7] other way, Or [G]glance up in the [G]sky. Just
[C]Lift those eyes and [C]proudly tell me [D] Hi [D]
Our [G] paths may never [G]cross again, So [C]Open your eyes and [C]let me in,
And [A]tell me [A]exactly how you've [D]been . . . [D] . . . .

Chorus:
{soc}
{eoc}

Repeat Chorus:
{soc}
{eoc}

Outro:
[A] Please don't say Fare - [G]well, or Good – [D]Bye [D]

+end+

Last edited:
Okay, I finally did one.

I recorded this on my cell phone yesterday (7/8/2017) while performing at one of the local Farmers' Markets. What could go wrong?

* There was a thunderstorm in progress.
* I forgot my lead sheet
* I had never played this song in public
* I had only played this on Thursday for the first time ever.
* The seams of my new pop-up canopy leaked.
* Cars were driving by less than 8 feet away (at least they were slow, and there were no puddles...)
* Did I mention the thunderstorm? It was a little distracting at times...

I actually edited the first 30 seconds off of the video... where I was trying to remember what key to play in, so that I could actually sing; otherwise, this is a one-and-done.

I hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
Here's my one and only entry for this week. I did not think I was going to be able to submit anything, however, I was able to squeeze this one in today.

Production notes are in the Youtube description.

This video has multi-tracking of a whole band ensemble, and everything was recorded in a single take. I had to practice the bass line for like 3 hrs yesterday to get it down. Including both the audio and video recording and editing, production time was about 6 hrs, and while not perfect, it is what it is and right now, due to time constraints, I have to let it be.

I wish I could sing better (no time lately for practice), but it's been about 9 months since my last Seasons video, so without further ado, please have a look:

https://youtu.be/zPScZeAwGto

FYI- me doing this video was inspired by the one that BEV did some time back, and link to her video is in the description on YouTube.

Looks like I bit off more than I can chew again. Oh well, it won't take too much more effort to get the solo right, and then I'll give you all a great cover of Comfortably Numb...

Looks like I bit off more than I can chew again. Oh well, it won't take too much more effort to get the solo right, and then I'll give you all a great cover of Comfortably Numb...

Looking forward to that. I toyed with it bit too but went another direction so I would love to see it make an appearance.

Looking forward to that. I toyed with it bit too but went another direction so I would love to see it make an appearance.

I decided that it really needed the solo multitracked in there to make it work. I've got it 80% nailed, but I've run out of time to even record a basic version. It can go in my bag of songs that are nearly ready, so I can dust it off for a future season. I was thinking you might do this one, actually. You, Rex, or Alan Thornton. I'm very surprised to see it didn't make an appearance.

Yeah, Hello - Original Song

OK, long time no post.,:) I've been busy with other adventures, but it's good to get back, and it's good to see some other old faces turning up as well. Hey Booli! :)

Here's a demo for new original song. Electric Ukulele and Garageband. Sometimes the people that have the least to say, spend the most time saying it... :)

I'm not sure if this one will finish processing or not. (My phone hasn't been doing well today, I guess.) Hopefully, it'll work. But maybe not. Either way, I sure had fun this Season!

Edit: Whoa. It took like eight tries to upload this one successfully. Hmm, maybe my phone isn't so smart.

Last edited:
Ryan - Dreaming of you - Nicely done! I really like your instrumental parts especially.

Big King - The Grip of Love - Nice fireworks! I've never heard this song but you were really rockin' it!

Stanley - Bye Bye Blackbird - An oldy but a goody! Love your banjouke!

TCK - So Long Baby - Nice whistling! I was humming along...I play along at my lunch time!

Big Daddy Uker - I gotta go - Yes, I am glad to welcome a song all about leaving even without the Goodbye word! I enjoyed hearing this one! It fits your voice really well. Great Job!

Lil - Friends never say Goodbye - That big ol' uke sound really nice, what kind is it? I like the strumming! Great Job!

One man - Hello - Your voice sounds so sad and smooth. I love your version of this song!

Alan - Mary's Movin' On - Great song! Getting in that bluesy grove is so nice!

Ukuleledaddy - Kiss the world goodbye - I haven't heard this one before but I really like it. The sound of your voice is very nice and so sweet!

Silly dave - 50 ways to say goodbye - Oh such a wonderfully silly song! Love the hat too! Not to mention that strumming ... so great! Love this one!

I'll do some more on my lunch hour.

Top Bottom