Double Stop technique?

frigiliana

Reaction score
Hi i wonder if anybody can help me with this technique , i play in a large ukulele group and on a few rock and roll songs i was hoping to add a bit of colour to my playing and have been trying to apply the Double Stop technique used by some guitarists like Chuck Berry , i've watched a few videos on the technique but they're geared towards the guitarist as you'd excpect and wondered if any members here have mastered this style and could pass on any tips . One of the songs we do is At the Hop as an example in a G G7 C G D C G progression .

Thanks Dave

This may help.http://liveukulele
No it doesn't as the link won't work. However if you go Live Ukulele. Com you should find your way to the article about intervals or double stops.

Last edited:
Outstanding thanks ripcock just what i was looking for .

I lie to use a few double stop progressions.

For a C chord: For an F chord: Or get the same double stop like this: To play over a D chord, go up 2 frets from the C double stops:
_____________ __0__1__2__3__ _____________ ______________ _______________
_0__1__2__3__ __1__3__4__5__ __1__3__4__5_ __5__6__7__8__ ___2__3__4__5__
_0__2__3__4__ ______________ _____________ __5__7__8__9__ ___2__4__5__6__
_____________ ______________ __2__3__4__5_ ______________ _______________

You can move these double stops anywhere on the neck to get different chord noises. You can also play them
in descending order, starting with the last shape and moving down the fingerboard.
Try playing Thelonious Monk's Blue Monk, using double stops.

Fantastic Jim Yates appreciate your reply one question can i use these fingerings with a low G ?

The third set of double stops sound just fine with a low D, but are not the same as the 2nd and 4th. Give 'em a shot and see what you think.

Jim,

This was ingenious and it made my wife happy. I could play some gypsy blues while standing on my head, and she wouldn't even acknowledge my presence. Playing Thelonious is a currency she understands and instantly elevates me to someone who knows how to play, in her eyes.

Ripock,
It's kinda fun isn't it.

Exceedingly, and a bit addictive...except for that damned F that drops an octave in the 3rd measure. Since my kamaka has an extra-long neck I've been playing around frets 15-20 and then dropping back to the F on fret 5. I can fingerpick it, now I just need to convert it to double stops.

Top Bottom