Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 282 - Men In Black

For this season, I have created a song that I would have offered to Roy Orbison had I been a songwriter in the early 1960s (and had I had the right connections ). I am sure his massive range would have made this one a classic.

Thematically, it is a 1960s version of my last entry. Only in that one the narrator is a 21st C. man and realises that blaming his ex-partner for everything is avoiding the issue of his own inadequacies and bad decisions.

Our hero this time is a true 1960s guy and still views the break up as him being a victim of a femme fatale, That was my deliberate intention as the song seeks to capture the early 1960s vibe that "The Big O" himself represented so well in many of his hits (and not so hits).

Anyway, I hope you like it. Backing by "Band in a Box" again. That programme has come a long way from the cheesy keyboard backing tracks its early incarnations produced.

Epiphone Les Paul (Red) Concert
    Kala KA FMTE - C (Low G)
    Steel Strung Hora Baritone
    Korala Baritone UKB 36
    Eugene Customised Tanglewood TU5 Baritone (High D)
    Yamaha GL1 Guitarlele
    Baritone Ukulele Banjo
    Oscar Schmidt 8 String Tenor
    Oscar Schmidt 6 String Tenor
    Jack Daniels Tenor - by Peavey
    Mainland Red Cedar Concert
    Korala Soprano Mahogany Electro Acoustic Cutaway
    Tenor Resonator Ukulele HB CLU 34-T
    Alida Electric Tenor
    Harley Benton CLU-Bass

I decided I needed to go full twang on this one.

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas
    Axes:
    Sopranos - Kala Makala, Kala Ukadelic Texas Flag, Bruko Hilo (vintage 1960s!)
    Concert - Epiphone Les Paul
    Tenors - Kala KA-TE, Kala KA-TEME,
    Banjo Uke: Duke (tenor scale)
    Not a ukulele: Seagull Merlin (stick dulcimer)
    Keys:
    Hohner Instructor 32 melodica
    Ukulele Country: My blog about the ukulele and other musical things.

Ok...This song kicked my butt. After several takes of getting close but no cigar, I kept this not perfect take cause I was running out of time, and my throat was rapidly getting sore(Gee wonder why). I did this in Orbison's key, with some liberal use of falsetto on the high notes..What did I get myself into here?? lol

"a girl named hugh"

big thanks to my dad for the oughtta-daughter rhyme!

A brief but direct song by Mr. Cash. He could cram a lot of lyrics into unconventional meters. Oh well, if I could pick "Wildwood Flower," I'd do it ...

KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana PCK-25G pineapple mahogany concert Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides KoAloha soprano (2001 vintage) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Another song written by Johnny Cash, from the same album as my previous entry (Look At Them Beans). Dripping Springs is a town in the Texas hill country where Willie Nelson has his ranch and holds his annual Forth of July Picnic and Country Music Extravaganza.

People mentioned in this song are: Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, Tom T. Hall, Larry Gatlin, Johnny Duncan, Leon Russell, Johnny Bush, David Allen Coe, Rita Coolidge, and I don't know which Linda he's talking about.

T. Texas Tyler is a more obscure (I think) country music singer who had some hits in the 1940s and '50s. His biggest hit was the spoken-word "Deck of Cards," which was later a huge hit for Wink Martindale. Yes, that Wink Martindale. Tyler's real name was David Luke Myrick, and he was actually from Arkansas.

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas
    Axes:
    Sopranos - Kala Makala, Kala Ukadelic Texas Flag, Bruko Hilo (vintage 1960s!)
    Concert - Epiphone Les Paul
    Tenors - Kala KA-TE, Kala KA-TEME,
    Banjo Uke: Duke (tenor scale)
    Not a ukulele: Seagull Merlin (stick dulcimer)
    Keys:
    Hohner Instructor 32 melodica
    Ukulele Country: My blog about the ukulele and other musical things.

Gary and I got together to do "Man in Black" for the season. We have both done solo versions for earlier seasons, but I wanted to play our Rosewood Baritone and "Bari-Tenor" as a pair.

Another Sunburst Singers Hit! Well sort of twangy "Cold Cold Heart" at least.

Again with the Rosewood Baritone and Bari-Tenor.

Roy Orbison covered this one:

"Inspire me muse to sing of the wanderer, who sailed the wine dark sea and toppled the towers of Ilium"
    "Make a Joyous Noise"
    "Let there be song to fill the air"

Uncle Tommy's Holiday Camp

Thread Information