Season 282 - Men In Black

Keith,
This is an early apology. I thought I would get something recorded tomorrow. Turns out Im still in the mountain. I got a message this morning that the AC went out at home and not to come home just yet. I may or may not be traveling tomorrow.

I doubt Ill get an entry in this week but I do plan to try and watch what the gang is bringing you.

Carry on!

Ain't no grave gonna hold this body down

Improvisation on an old Gospel song by Johnny Cash
A bit of history: Claude Ely describes composing the song while sick with tuberculosis in 1934 when he was twelve years old. His family prayed for his health, and in response he spontaneously performed this song. Originally recorded by Bozie Sturdivant in 1941 in a slower, Appalachian gospel style and in 1946-7 by Sister Rosetta Tharpe with barrelhouse piano; the song in Ely's version was recorded in 1953 but composed in 1934 Many notable artists have performed the song, including Johnny Cash on the posthumous album American VI: Ain't No Grave. In 1967 the song was featured in the film Cool Hand Luke while Luke (Paul Newman) is digging a grave, performed by Harry Dean Stanton.

This is one of my favourite songs. Turns out Johnny Cash did it with Fiona Apple at some point, so I had to do it. The lyrics spoke to me big time when I was a headstrong teenager too much like his dad, obviously they take on a more poignant meaning now I'm a dad myself.

Wish I could do the vocals a bit more justice but I was too busy trying to get the chord progression right.

Season 282. Submission 2. "A Woman In Black" (An Original) (Words and music by Linda Opyr, Copyright Linda Opyr 2017)

Keith, I've just written this song in response to this week's theme. Perhaps I need the Thornton Rule a bit, as neither Johnny Cash or Roy Orbison has sung it. But this song was given to me by your theme. I hope you'll allow it.

Also, this will be my last post for the Season and so once again, thank you for hosting and your terrific theme. I'll be back for lots of listening though.

Third entry. Johnny Cash writing about being a kid and being flooded out of his home.

What a Rabbit Hole you've laid out Keith!

"Adios, aloha, hasta luego, and buenas noches to you"
Ah haha. One of June Carters songs listed with Johnny's

Top Bottom