Season 282 - Men In Black

i dunno if our magnificent and lovely host is LOOKING for originals

but he's getting them!

we've had berni's man in black

TD's woman in black

and now my uke in black! this little guy was my first ever uke :love: i do love him!

I'm very intimidated trying to sing a Roy Orbison song - the guy's voice was pure magic! Here's one via the Wilburys.

I've had this song on hold for a while now and finally I have a season to share it with.
"Forty Shades of Green." by Johnny Cash.

This one from the Second "Will the Circle be Unbroken" Album which featured Johnny Cash on this song

I do believe the preacher has converted himself :)
When it comes to performance there are different ways to approach it.
One way is to be technically proficient and rigid and the other way is
to be free spontaneous and heartfelt. With the former the notes being
played and sung are all important, and with the latter the performer
enters into the song and lives it. The audience may thrill to the technical
side of thing and admire technique or on the other hand all that is ignored
and they experience deep calling to deep. Which is which in this song?
The best writers have only a few things to say and the worst have too much.

This is another of my wife's 3 favorite Johnny Cash songs, since nobody has done any yet, I did another. I did this years ago when I played in bands, but was playing bass then, trying it on Ukulele is a different beast. lol Far from a perfect take, but it's a long song, and I was having fun, so I kept it.

I wore this record out as a kid. Never tried this before, 2nd recorded take. Things like trying to breathe had to to by the wayside during this mouthful....Whew.

This song has been chosen by the members of the Western Writers of America as one of the Top 100 Western songs of all time. The song was popularized by Johnny Cash and reached No. 3 on the Billboard Charts in 1964.
Joe Rosenthal's Pulitzer Prize winning photograph of “Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima” is the iconic image of America's efforts during World War II. Six Marines are pictured raising the US flag on top of a sulphur reeking Volcano. The first island of the Japanese Homeland to fall in the conflict that would create the American Century. Of the six marines pictured three would be dead within the week.
One survivor, Ira Hayes was a native American, Pima Indian. Ira was a paramarine who Fought at Bougainville and Iwo Jima. The casualties on Iwo Jima were horrifying, over 26,000 Americans and over 18,000 Japanese. When the battle was over Ira Hayes and his two surviving mates were sent back to Washington to participate in the 7th War bond drive. It was immensely successful raising over a Billion Dollars, twice what had been projected.
There was some confusion as to who actually raised the flag. Ira Hayes was instrumental in identifying Harlon Block as one of the Flag raisers. The USMC finally acknowledged Block's participation in 2016.
There was some other confusion about the flag raisers as well. For some time it was thought that John Bradley, A Navy Corpsman was a flag raiser. He apparently was not. He was on Mount Suribachi that morning though. All marines are riflemen. The marines get their medical corpsmen from the Navy. For all the inter-service rivalry in the US Armed Forces you will never hear a Marine bad mouth the non-combatant Navy Corpsmen!

This is my favorite Roy Orbison song. Never tried it before, did one unrecorded take, then one recorded one. Did this in Orbison's key. I wasn't foolish enough to think I could hit all the notes, but I was foolish enough to try to fake it using falsetto.....

Top Bottom